anyone have a recommedation for a good set of running shoes

The Poojer

have been walking a few miles, time to graduate to some "yogging". dont want to spend a ton of money, just know my reeboks arent gonna be good for running...thanks

I recommend Adidas sneakers. I've had 3-4 pairs of them, and the only reason they got tossed was because i had literally worn the sole clean off. They never fall apart, and are a quality comfortable shoe. I dont know what you want to spend, but you can get a solid pair of Adidas running shoes for $50-$60.

Adidas Bounce is a pretty comfortable shoe.

I had the KG bounce (black), and the megabounce (black) and would recomend both. The KG version is more of a basketball sneaker, but the megabounce is a running shoe.

I wore the KG to work for about 4-5 months before I got the Megabounce. Both have held up fairly well. :lol:

Pooj, you can't just get a decent pair of running shoes off a few recommendations and expect them to be right for you when you run. I learned this the hard way. If you're seriously considering running, first and foremost, do NOT go cheap or you'll learn how badly your shin can hurt. Find a place near you that specializes in running shoes and talk to one of their sales folks. Typically they'll consider your weight, workout regimen, height, weight, goals, running surfaces, etc., then recommend some shoes, let you put 'em on and go running around the building, etc., to get a feel. They'll also generally take them back within a week or two of you have any problems. They'll also offer you the typical good-better-best from a price/performance standpoint.

We have a place in SoCal called Snail's Pace, and they specialize in walking and running shoes; you should have a similar type store near you.

There are areas in fitness where you can skimp on equipment. Your running shoes shouldn't be one of them.

I believe Jester does a lot of running, and if he sees this, I hope he'll contribute.

Do not buy a specific brand of shoe. Go to a Running shoe store (not foot locker) that specializes in fitting people according to the type of foot they have. Look it up in your local phone book. There is nothing worse than getting discouraged because your shoes aren't the proper size/style. The extra money you might spend at a store like this is worth it IMHO. After the first time you get fitted you can figure out from there was kind of shoe is right for you.

Pooj, you can't just get a decent pair of running shoes off a few recommendations and expect them to be right for you when you run. I learned this the hard way. If you're seriously considering running, first and foremost, do NOT go cheap or you'll learn how badly your shin can hurt. Find a place near you that specializes in running shoes and talk to one of their sales folks. Typically they'll consider your weight, workout regimen, height, weight, goals, running surfaces, etc., then recommend some shoes, let you put 'em on and go running around the building, etc., to get a feel. They'll also generally take them back within a week or two of you have any problems. They'll also offer you the typical good-better-best from a price/performance standpoint.

We have a place in SoCal called Snail's Pace, and they specialize in walking and running shoes; you should have a similar type store near you.

There are areas in fitness where you can skimp on equipment. Your running shoes shouldn't be one of them.

I believe Jester does a lot of running, and if he sees this, I hope he'll contribute.

Yes, the store I purchased mine from had the same return policy.

I shop www.Roadrunnersports.com which has a San Diego location so I can check out sales.

I bought New Balance once and never turned back. Models 992 and 998 are pricey but sometimes you can find them on sale. I have some serious foot issues (deformed metatarsals, abnormal pronation, etc.) which require a wide shoe. They are comfortable for me but as was mentioned earlier it is smart to talk to somebody who is knowledgable about feet, running and shoes. I am currently suffering through plantar fasciitis which means I won't be running for a while.

I'd go with LA's advice on the shoes. If you are going to start running I'd recommend trying to follow the Couch to 5k plan. I just finished week 6 of this 9 week program and haven't had any problems to date.

Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves.

You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.

I shop www.Roadrunnersports.com which has a San Diego location so I can check out sales.

I bought New Balance once and never turned back. Models 992 and 998 are pricey but sometimes you can find them on sale. I have some serious foot issues (deformed metatarsals, abnormal pronation, etc.) which require a wide shoe. They are comfortable for me but as was mentioned earlier it is smart to talk to somebody who is knowledgable about feet, running and shoes. I am currently suffering through plantar fasciitis which means I won't be running for a while.

Mine is in the arch of my foot. Its about the size of a marble. :lol:

Mine is in the arch of my foot. Its about the size of a marble. :lol:

What are you doing about it? Do you wear arch supports or orthotics?

I have had it for about four months and there isn't a whole lot I can do about it but wait it out. It is getting better (less pain) but I have to be on my feet to work.

What are you doing about it? Do you wear arch supports or orthotics?

I have had it for about four months and there isn't a whole lot I can do about it but wait it out. It is getting better (less pain) but I have to be on my feet to work.

Nothing yet. My primary Dr. looked at it and referred my to a podiatrist. After talking to him and doing some research on it, it looks like surgery is the only way. I've had mine for about 6-8 months. Its not going to go away, I'm afraid. No, on the arch supports and orthotics.

Its bothersom, but I keep procrastinating. :lol:

just asking for thoughts, i have asked people at work and other friends along the way, just looking for complete information, sorry to have bothered you.

Pooj, do you really need help from a message board about buying running shoes ?

Do you see any problems with this ?

Pooj, do you really need help from a message board about buying running shoes ?

Do you see any problems with this ?

The dude is asking for advice on running shoes, not medical advice. The bigger question is more likely, why do YOU see a problem with this?

Jesus.