Sean Avery

Neil and Avery are in 2 different categories.

I'd take Avery on my team any day. He is good at what he does, without crossing the line, and he can actually skate and score goals.

did you watch the video...that is bush league hockey 101

did you watch the video...that is bush league hockey 101

I didn't. Sometimes he may get carried away, but he isn't on the same level as guys like Neil and those other cheapshot artists. He actually plays hockey. I'm not always a fan of the things he does, but I don't think he's that bad.

Stick meet groin. Even if it's a penalty, it would likely end the shenanigans. Too bad Avery scored on that series. He'll probably spawn a bunch of copycat idiots.

nope....nice butt end to the face will take care of that....keep 2 inches of the top of the stick out...quick turn into him...down to the ground in 2 seconds....good times

I didn't. Sometimes he may get carried away, but he isn't on the same level as guys like Neil and those other cheapshot artists. He actually plays hockey. I'm not always a fan of the things he does, but I don't think he's that bad.

Actually, in this week's SI Players' Poll, approximately 24% of the NHLers who were polled said that Avery is the dirtiest player in the league.

He's the kind of guy you hate unless he's on your team, then you love him. Remember when the Sabres had Matthew Barnaby, or Tie Domi for Toronto. They agitate and try to get the other team to think of them instead of the game. To a degree that's what Kaleta did this year with his checking, drawing alot of attention and getting some to take penalties.

Actually, in this week's SI Players' Poll, over 80% of the NHLers who were polled said that Avery is the dirtiest player in the league.

Its no secret that everyone who's not on Avery's team hates his guts. See PastaJoe's post.

was that Chris Drury that skated up to Avery in the crease after the screening and said something?

Yes, it was.

The NHL has already ruled on Avery's "actions" from last night's game, so from now on it will be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty to do that:

LINK

National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell today issued the following advisory on the interpretation of Rule 75 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct: "An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

>> league release

Yes, it was.

The NHL has already ruled on Avery's "actions" from last night's game, so from now on it will be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty to do that:

LINK

National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell today issued the following advisory on the interpretation of Rule 75 - Unsportsmanlike Conduct: "An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play."

>> league release

Wow, that was quick. Obviously they don't work for the government.

Read one article that said Avery has also had a running commentary going with Brodeur about Marty's old divorce. Reminds me of Slap Shot when Paul Newman got a goalie mad by saying the goalie's wife liked women.

Also in the article:

The late Roger Neilson would devise ways to tiptoe around hockey norms if not the rule book -- while coaching in Peterborough he once used a defenseman instead of a goalie to challenge the surprised shooter on a penalty shot, and would tell his goalies to leave their sticks lying across the crease when he pulled them for an extra attacker -- and was subsequently hailed as an eccentric hockey genius, an impish man who knew how to think outside the box. When Avery pulls something unorthodox, he is excoriated as a scoundrel who deserves to be in the box.

I wonder why nobody's tried that, as the goalie is about to leave the ice for an extra attacker, he could break his stick and lay it in the crease to try to deflect any pucks shot on the ice. They couldn't give him a penalty because you have to drop your stick if it breaks.

was that Chris Drury that skated up to Avery in the crease after the screening and said something?

Yes, it was. He told him to get his stick down before the ref called a penalty.

Brodeur should've poleaxed him.

I wonder why nobody's tried that, as the goalie is about to leave the ice for an extra attacker, he could break his stick and lay it in the crease to try to deflect any pucks shot on the ice. They couldn't give him a penalty because you have to drop your stick if it breaks.

A goalie is allowed to play with a broken stick, so I would bet the first time a goalie broke his stick on purpose and then tried to leave it in the crease, it would be scooped up by the trailing ref and the NHL would likely hand down a clarifying ruling the next day to prevent that from happening again.

Probably for the same reason goalies don't force themselves to vomit in the crease before they leave for an extra attacker to make the pucks stop in the puddle of puke instead of going into the net.

He's the kind of guy you hate unless he's on your team, then you love him.

no, no way. there is a difference between being an agitator/toughguy and being a cheating little baby.

thats crap that avery pulled is something i expect from a 10 year-old. kids do that stuff all the time on the playground, "well, its not ILLEGAL".

classless, cheap, desperate move. good players dont have to do stuff like that.

if the sabres were to ever sign him, id stop watching the team until he was gone.

Jim Carr: Hi, Jim Carr again. Denis, I know that some in our audience don't know the finer points of hockey. Could you tell them, for example, what is icing?

Denis Lemieux: Well, um, icing happen when the puck come down, bang you know, before the other guys you know. Nobody there, you know. My arm go comes up then the game stop then start up.

Jim Carr: I see. What is high-sticking?

Denis Lemieux: High-sticking happen when the guy take the stick, you know, and he go like that

[high-sticks Jim Carr]

Denis Lemieux: you know. You don't do that.

Jim Carr: You don't do that?

Denis Lemieux: Oh no, never, never.

Jim Carr: Why not?

Denis Lemieux: Against the rules. You know, you're stupid when you do that. Just some English pig with no brains, you know.

Jim Carr: Uh, what is slashing?

Denis Lemieux: Slashing is um, like that

[demonstrates on Jim Carr]

Denis Lemieux: you know.

Jim Carr: Mm-hmm. And there's a penalty for that?

Denis Lemieux: Yeah and for the trip also, you know like that

[demonstrates]

Denis Lemieux: . And for hook like this

[demonstrates]

Denis Lemieux: . And for spear, you know, like that.

[demonstrates]

Denis Lemieux: You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes, by yourself, you know and you feel shame, you know. And then you get free.

Avery is probably one of the 5 most hated guys in Quebec after some comments he made a couple years ago about french canadians. He's J. Rocker on skates.

I used to hate him but after hearing about this, I may have to reconsider.

well i'm no Avery fan but be fair, it's quite hard to get up from the ice when you're down and someone is hitting you... call that doing the turtle if you want but in that situation that's about the only thing you can do...

you turtle like a scared 8 year old? he just hit Kariya...he has to know that is coming...he is a fraud and a puss

you turtle like a scared 8 year old? he just hit Kariya...he has to know that is coming...he is a fraud and a puss

well next time you have skates, that you lay down the ice... try to get up while some guy is hitting you... scared or not, if you can do it you have my respect!