Draft Options: Many Choices

R. Rich

The Bills are in a fairly decent spot right now. They can stay @ 11 and most likely get a good corner, linebacker, or lineman. Or, they can try to move up to get an impact player like Ellis or Dorsey if they're still there. Or, they could move down if their target is a wideout and still get more picks. I can see arguments being made for any of those moves, actually.

This team isn't one player away from a title, but another piece to the puzzle, especially one that could have major impact, certainly cannot hurt. For that reason, I could see moving up.

The Bills are lacking @ defensive back and linebacker and could use more help on either the offensive (interior or outside....I'm still not 100% sold on Walker as a RT) or defensive (still need a pass rush) lines. W/ that being the case, I could see standing pat and drafting in those areas.

Of course, everyone 'round here has gone WR crazy, and w/ good reason, as the Bills' red zone production has been atrocious and a big wideout w/ good hands and the ability to fight off tight coverage will help big time. So, if they can address this properly while adding picks that could add size to the LB and DB units, that would be a sound move also.

The Bills are in a fairly decent spot right now. They can stay @ 11 and most likely get a good corner, linebacker, or lineman. Or, they can try to move up to get an impact player like Ellis or Dorsey if they're still there. Or, they could move down if their target is a wideout and still get more picks. I can see arguments being made for any of those moves, actually.

This team isn't one player away from a title, but another piece to the puzzle, especially one that could have major impact, certainly cannot hurt. For that reason, I could see moving up.

The Bills are lacking @ defensive back and linebacker and could use more help on either the offensive (interior or outside....I'm still not 100% sold on Walker as a RT) or defensive (still need a pass rush) lines. W/ that being the case, I could see standing pat and drafting in those areas.

Of course, everyone 'round here has gone WR crazy, and w/ good reason, as the Bills' red zone production has been atrocious and a big wideout w/ good hands and the ability to fight off tight coverage will help big time. So, if they can address this properly while adding picks that could add size to the LB and DB units, that would be a sound move also.

I agree. I'm not locked in to any one position at this point. Our biggest need right now is at WR, but all the options come with big question marks. There are much surer players that will be there at the other positions you mentioned like offensive line, defensive back, defensive line and linebacker. The smart thing for the Bills is to pick the guy they feel will have the biggest impact regardless of position. Harvey, Albert, Sweed, Thomas, DRC, Rivers, Clady, Jenkins...the Bills could find a spot for any of these talented players. I have no idea who the Bills will pick, but I have a feeling it's one from that bunch. I'm at the point where I'd be happy with whoever it is. I usually have a strong preference at who I want that first pick to be, but with two weeks to go I strangely don't.

I understand everyone wanting to get the flashy player in the draft, but I can't help but wonder if having that big WR would have honestly helped our redzone production last year...what with Mr. Fairchildian's Magical Abortian of an offense.

Good post Rich.

WRT the LB position, i know you want more size, but what are your thoughts on our current cop of LBs? Are you suggesting we look for a LB early on to be a future starter (sooner rather than later), or are you happy with the potential of POZ, Crowell and Mitchell? I thik the appropriate spot for a LB would be the middle rounds to bolster the depth. It also wouldnt hurt to snag a guy with some size to sub in on short yardage/rushing downs.

I understand everyone wanting to get the flashy player in the draft, but I can't help but wonder if having that big WR would have honestly helped our redzone production last year...what with Mr. Fairchildian's Magical Abortian of an offense.

I can't really blame Fairchild all that much. No, really, I can't. This team's passing game has been garbage for virtually all of the last five years.

You see, that's what is so great about the draft. At this point, everything is speculation. Nobody really knows what will happen. Do the Bills go WR? Do they trade up for a guy? Or down to get more picks? Bottom line is, I DON'T CARE!!!! I just love the excitement. I want them to trade up to get Ellis. I want them to trade down for more picks. I want them to stay put. I want it all!!!! I like speculating on all the different possibilities before the actual draft.

Plus, given the success of the last two drafts post donawhore, I am encouraged that the Bills will have another successful draft. I dont care who we pick, I am going to cheer them on with all the gusto I can muster. After all, they will be a Bill.

I am convinced our redzone problems have more to do with not being able to convert short yardage plays in the run game.

Teams blow up our middle constantly. We could not convert key short yardage plays countless times. We routinely turned 2 and 2 into 3rd and 7. Good redzone offenses can run the ball. My hope is the pick, if defense, is a good run defender even if a cb. If the pick is on offense someone who is physical ie Devin Thomas or someone who can can block like Albert.

Good post.... They do have a lot of options...

I don't see Buffalo trading up, although if Ellis was still there at 8, I would find it tempting...

The best scenario would be Ellis falling to us at 11, which is very doubtful.... or trading down, which would be lucky, but I don't see it happening either...

So, then, if those options fall through and they stay at 11, I'd say get a DL like Harvey... or possibly make a "reach" and get Merling or Balmer... Or get a LB like Rivers... Or the dark horse pick that would leave a lot of Bills fans shell-shocked would be OL like Clady or Albert....

I'm afraid I'll side with Pyrite Gal on a DB at 11... we do need depth there, but the front seven is more important in this scheme....

WR and TE should come in the 2nd/3rd round, but I believe if the right guy is there, a defensive lineman, a linebacker, or a surprise offensive lineman could be very good options at the 11th pick...

Excellent assessment - I think we need help in the sames areas, either through the draft, acqusitions/trades, or just improved play from the guys we have.

As Marv began his second stint here, he said that to win in this league you have to be able to run the ball, and stop the run. I think we're well on the way to having all the elements of a great running game, but stopping the run was problematic, as was the pass rush. That's why I think and hope day one of the Bills' draft goes like this:

1 - DE Phillip Merling

2 - WR James Hardy

3 - TE John Carlson

19 and 0 baby!!! :lol:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Posluszny!!!!! :cry:

I am convinced our redzone problems have more to do with not being able to convert short yardage plays in the run game.

Teams blow up our middle constantly. We could not convert key short yardage plays countless times. We routinely turned 2 and 2 into 3rd and 7. Good redzone offenses can run the ball.

Huh? And here I was thinking our inability to run in short yardage situations was because teams knew we didn't have a credible redzone passing threat and could stack the line...

The Bills will not move into the top ten. No way

Im a fan of trading down to get more draft picks. No better way to get players you need along with depth to go along with it. Ive said a few times on this board already, draft picks are like lotto tickets the more you have the more of a chance you have to win. Well the same goes for draft picks, more of them you have a better shot at finding guys like Colston, Brady...ect......guys who have made names for themselves in the later rounds..........

Trade down get another 2nd or 3rd..........

Im a fan of trading down to get more draft picks. No better way to get players you need along with depth to go along with it. Ive said a few times on this board already, draft picks are like lotto tickets the more you have the more of a chance you have to win. Well the same goes for draft picks, more of them you have a better shot at finding guys like Colston, Brady...ect......guys who have made names for themselves in the later rounds..........

Trade down get another 2nd or 3rd..........

I kind of agree with you there... But ,the a few things i was thinking about the other day .We already have alot of picks. 10 i believe already. If we trade down, and add more. Well, then we now have the ability to jump all over the boards and get closer to the top of each round or even jump back in rounds.

We really didnt spend much in free agency.so we have cash to pay better rookie contracts this year. If you think about it. every year after cut downs your stuck with 53 players and a few practice players.Out of what? 80 plus...? thats just a waist of extra bodies just to find one or two jems. I hope they get agressive early in this draft and get some good players instead of projects late..... just my opinion though...

It's actually possible it's a little of both. Probably could sprinkle in some terrible playcalling as well.

Huh? And here I was thinking our inability to run in short yardage situations was because teams knew we didn't have a credible redzone passing threat and could stack the line...

Early on I saw OLB/DE Groves from Auburn going very high, possibly even to NE. I see either him or Rivers as a strong possibility along with Alberts. I don't think the DL guys will be there and am guessing the Bills think they're ok without a first round corner (might be wrong on this).

We're pretty much forced to go WR in the second IMO. It will be interesting to see who is there. It would be great if we could trade down a few spots and still get Alberts or Groves along with a useful pick, but I doubt we'll move.

What a great post and a excellent thread this is. This is the kind of thread that this board was meant for.

I agree with just everything everyone had to say except for I'd be disappointed if we were to trade down. I'd like to see Buffalo take the BPA. We could use help in many areas and the BPA should have an immediate impact for us, whether it were a DE, CB, OL, LB, or WR. That is also my exact order for priority. No matter what are selection is going to be, I think that we are going to have a great draft and we are all going to be very pleased with it. I'm expecting great things for us, not only in the draft but also in the upcoming season. Go Bills!