Mario Haggans - suspended

From an OTC weight loss drug? So it must be anphetamines (sp?). That is unfortunate for him. If he really was trying to control his weight to sign somewhere (and I tend to believe that he was), that just sucks for him.

Anything over the counter in my mind shouldnt warrant a 4 game suspension.........But I could be wrong. Im not a pharmacist....so I dont know much about OTC stuff....

I always like Mario Haggan

Per Chris Brown

Weight control OTC drug.

That's ridiculous. Somehow there needs to be a lesser penalty for making a mistake with an OTC drug. I don't know enough about medicine to say whether or not these things can give an unfair advantage but it seems if it's found in the offseason and is part of an OTC drug a lesser penalty than a four game suspension should be given. I can't see punishing Haggan the same way a cokehead should be punished. :thumbsup:

That's ridiculous. Somehow there needs to be a lesser penalty for making a mistake with an OTC drug. I don't know enough about medicine to say whether or not these things can give an unfair advantage but it seems if it's found in the offseason and is part of an OTC drug a lesser penalty than a four game suspension should be given. I can't see punishing Haggan the same way a cokehead should be punished. :thumbsup:

It does seem a bit harsh.

Thats what im saying........OTC meds are classified as meds that are less harmfull or potent, atleast thats what I thought. Seems like an honest mistake gone real bad.

But then again when you buy Tylenol Severe Cold medicine, you actually need to show your license and sign a form, due to the fact you can make meth out of it.......

Who knows.......feel for the guy, trying to keep his weight under control and gets this........

Although it does seem unfair that a wieght loss drug would warrant a four game suspension. I believe that it would be a second violation of the substance abuse program. I wonder what the first offense was and if it was the same substance I dont know why he would do it again.

Very good point.

Haggan is known to be a reved up trash talking guy, sort of in the mold of Hargrove. I wonder if the Bills wished they had Stamer signed now?

Problem is, who draws the line and where do you draw it? Fat burners with banned substance are ok, but not weight lifting supplements with them? Can I take a cold medicine with an amphetamine in it? How about the same dosage as the cold medicine, but I take it regularly for "allergies." If I'm on the allergy medication, can I also take the other stuff if I get a cold? The line is too amorphous. You basically have to list the banned substances and enforce every violation or you're gonna get a couple thousand guys with excuses for all the stuff they are taking.

Problem is, who draws the line and where do you draw it? Fat burners with banned substance are ok, but not weight lifting supplements with them? Can I take a cold medicine with an amphetamine in it? How about the same dosage as the cold medicine, but I take it regularly for "allergies." If I'm on the allergy medication, can I also take the other stuff if I get a cold? The line is too amorphous. You basically have to list the banned substances and enforce every violation or you're gonna get a couple thousand guys with excuses for all the stuff they are taking.

Call me a cynic, but I don't believe this OTC thing. Not for a second.

Per Rotoworld:

Free agent LB Haggan suspended 4 games

NFL suspended free agent LB Mario Haggan four games for violating the league's banned substance policy.

Haggan, a special teamer, is still eligible to participate in training camp if he signs on with a team. As the Bills' top backup strong-side linebacker in 2007, Haggan made 20 tackles. He's drawn very little interest in free agency so far. Apr. 9 - 1:15 pm et

Source: buffalobills.com

the league, if it hasn't already, should maintain a list for the players of all the OTC drugs/supplements that are permitted. If you want to take something not on the list you should ask the league if it's ok, and if you don't you're taking it at your peril for repercussions. It's possible they have something like this - but it seems like it would be an easy solution.

the league, if it hasn't already, should maintain a list for the players of all the OTC drugs/supplements that are permitted. If you want to take something not on the list you should ask the league if it's ok, and if you don't you're taking it at your peril for repercussions. It's possible they have something like this - but it seems like it would be an easy solution.

I believe it already has a list of the banned substances that can appear in OTC drugs. It's up to the player to read the ingredients on what they're taking, however, to make sure they're in compliance.

I believe it already has a list of the banned substances that can appear in OTC drugs. It's up to the player to read the ingredients on what they're taking, however, to make sure they're in compliance.

They can also check with their trainers.

I believe steroids and some substances are first time and your out. I think the three strikes is for non-performance enhancing drugs. I may be wrong about that but I think that's how it works.