What was the most painful Buffalo Loss

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Bills/Jags opener a few years ago, where we lost on the last play of the game. That was pretty bad too (although obviously not the worst). Another similar one to that was the Jets/Bills opener in 2002--where Morton returned two KO's for TD's, including the game winner in OT.

One benefit of getting older is that Buffalo sports disappointments hurt a little less each time. The earlier heartbreaks were the worst:

'80 Divisional Playoff -- the first Bills team of my life that was really good.

'83 Adams Division Finals -- Brad Park's OT goal in Game 7.

'89 Divisional Playoffs -- Ronnie F*&king Harmon game.

The hardest was Super Bowl XXVIII, because they were up 13-6 at half time and once they lost, I knew this was their last best shot.

Second would be XXV and the missed field goal.

Third would be the Music City Mistake

Fourth would be the 2007 MNF Game against Dallas.

For some reason, this game and the following year playoff game @ Cinci (Fergy's 4th down heave bounced off Cribbs' head in the endzone) hurt more than Flutie/Johnson era playoff losses..

Can't explain it <_<

I forgot about the Cribbs head bounce.

Difficult question to answer. Keep in mind I've only been a fan since 1990, I can't comment before then.

Super Bowl XXV- First year I was a fan, I was only 7 years old. If this happened today it would be #1 all day long.

Home Run Throwback- Probably my most devastating loss. We had a real chance that year

Super Bowl XXVII- Nobody gave us a chance, if Thurman doesn't fumble we have our ring.

Flutie/Miami Playoff game- After we recovered the onside kick, went from elated to devastated in a matter of minutes

Just give it to em- Pure disbelief, we played great in a big regular season game. We fought back on the road. We had victory stolen from us.

MNF Dallas- All of us wanted this one so bad, then to lose the way we did. Only Buffalo.

Wilford opener- 4th and how long? 5 players in position that last play to knock it down. Gut wrenching.

NYJ OT kick return opener- The hype of DB's first game, the long TD pass on 4th down. Over just like that.

Pittsburgh back ups- Our last real chance at the playoffs, at home, we blow it. Crap icing is my fathers a die hard Steelers fan. Ugh.

The superbowls really hurt. But the one that comes to mind is losing to Pittsburg's second and third stringers. Everything fell into place that day too. If we won we would have made the playoffs and we were on a hot streak. Then we got our butts beat pretty bad.

Absolutely. The end of Donahoe, Mullarkey, Bledsoe (even Tommy Clements) and the start of... whatever this is. If I could change one result it would be that one.

For the premature exits: If we stayed in our lanes and Ronnie kept his eyes on the ball, how far would those teams have gotten?

Super Bowl both times, IMO. We all felt Tenn. would be the toughest out -being unbeaten @ home and they went to within 1 yard of SB O.T..

In '89, yes, we tripped over our collective *'s a lot during the regular season but garnered the East title and with the late season aquisition of Lofton, I was convinced we would have beaten the Broncos @ Mile High the next week. Probably a good thing though, as SF destroyed then in the SB..

Difficult question to answer. Keep in mind I've only been a fan since 1990, I can't comment before then.

Super Bowl XXV- First year I was a fan, I was only 7 years old. If this happened today it would be #1 all day long.

Home Run Throwback- Probably my most devastating loss. We had a real chance that year

Super Bowl XXVII- Nobody gave us a chance, if Thurman doesn't fumble we have our ring.

Flutie/Miami Playoff game- After we recovered the onside kick, went from elated to devastated in a matter of minutes

Just give it to em- Pure disbelief, we played great in a big regular season game. We fought back on the road. We had victory stolen from us.

MNF Dallas- All of us wanted this one so bad, then to lose the way we did. Only Buffalo.

Wilford opener- 4th and how long? 5 players in position that last play to knock it down. Gut wrenching.

NYJ OT kick return opener- The hype of DB's first game, the long TD pass on 4th down. Over just like that.

Pittsburgh back ups- Our last real chance at the playoffs, at home, we blow it. Crap icing is my fathers a die hard Steelers fan. Ugh.

In the Flutie/Miami game, Reed got tackled at the goal line and thought it was a TD. Since he didn't get a TD, he threw the ball at the ref's back, causing him to be ejected plus a 15 yard penalty. I blame that loss on him, since a veteran couldn't keep his composure.

RJ over Flutie.

Brett Hull/No goal.

Game 7 vs Carolina, 20 minutes from the cup leading 2-1, then losing 4-2.

Plus all the mentioned above.

Music City Miracle was more infuriating than anything else.

SB 25 - I got so worked up during the game that I got myself sick and missed the end of it (I was 10), I ended up missing a week of school - worst night of sleep of my life, I still remember the nightmares of Chris Berman talking about the game but not saying who won - then my mom broke it to me in the morning - I was devastated.

MNF Cowboys - probably the most depressing. The bye week was a great relief that next weekend.

Pittsburgh season finale - horrible but somehow cleansing. Revealed the Donahoe era for the fraud it was.

For me it is the "Music city miracle". Granted the Superbowls were dissapointing but this one really hurt. I was at work watching the game, instead of working, and we score what looks like the game winner. I was so happy. Then we all know what happenned next, we can't cover the kick and we're done. I felt like quitting and going to drown my sorrows. Any others out there?

IN MY LIFETIME:

I guess last year's Dallas game. Still hope it falls short everytime they show that FG.

In the Flutie/Miami game, Reed got tackled at the goal line and thought it was a TD. Since he didn't get a TD, he threw the ball at the ref's back, causing him to be ejected plus a 15 yard penalty. I blame that loss on him, since a veteran couldn't keep his composure.

RJ over Flutie.

Brett Hull/No goal.

Game 7 vs Carolina, 20 minutes from the cup leading 2-1, then losing 4-2.Plus all the mentioned above.

Ah, Now you did it! Bring an entirely different Buffalo misery sports history into the mix. Let's not forget the Braves playoff loss to the Celtics, the Bandits, the 1940's Bills, Bisons futility (Baseball & Hockey)..

I need a stiff drink..

:ph34r:

Ah, Now you did it! Bring an entirely different Buffalo misery sports history into the mix. Let's not forget the Braves playoff loss to the Celtics, the Bandits, the 1940's Bills, Bisons futility (Baseball & Hockey)..

I need a stiff drink..

:ph34r:

A stiff drink sounds good right about now. This post is depressing!!!!

The Monday Night Dallas Cowboy game from last year still smarts for me. I would have to say that another Cowboy loss was the worst. Our last Superbowl. I had a good feeling that it was our LAST CHANCE. And when we lost it, I cried... knowing we wouldn't return for quite a while, and I was correct.