Protein Supplements - do you use them?

rockpile

Moderators, can this stay here? It is not a weght loss question, just general health.

I have been making "shakes" with yogurt, milk, and various fruits. I tried adding vitamin supplement or whey protein powder and it really spoils the shake for me. They do not overpower the flavor, but you know can taste it and it screws up the "texture" of the drink.

Does anyone know of a way to add nutirion to a healthy shake like this, without ruining the taste? :lol:

I am drinking these a lot, more and more in place of a meal, and I am generally feeling much better overall AND losing weight.

As I increase my regular exercise program and add free weights, I want to make sure I am getting enough nutrition.

Suggestions?

Here is my shake, which I got from Men's Health. I really like it:

2 scoop's whey protein;

5 g creatine (optional);

4. oz frozen blueberries;

1 tablespoon peanut butter (for protein and acts as appetite suppressant);

2 tablespoon ground flax seed (awesome stuff);

1.5 cups skim milk.

This has about 60g protein, 10g fiber, and is about 350 calories. I never really ate breakfeast before this - I really feel much better now that I take this. I take it with two multi-vitamins as well.

As a guide, if you are trying to build muscle mass, you should consume 1 gram of protein for each pound of body weight per day.

My son takes protein shakes......and we both take a supplement called "Xtend" which is a muscule recovery supplement that is taken in a drink form.

My son is in muscule biulding mode while I am trying to shave off pounds........so he takes a weightgainer protein powder as it is in his routine to get so many grams of protein per pound that he is attempting to gain......this with a lifting routine has bee pretty successful.

it is cheaper to take protein shakes then to take it in other forms......and there are many different kinds to choose from.

I drink a protein supplement about every other day. Probably wouldn't if I wasn't a vegetarian. I don't think you really need the extra protein.

My shake is just the powder, frozen strawberries, a banana, and OJ. Blend. Straightforward, simple, and good.

I drink a protein supplement about every other day. Probably wouldn't if I wasn't a vegetarian. I don't think you really need the extra protein.

My shake is just the powder, frozen strawberries, a banana, and OJ. Blend. Straightforward, simple, and good just like my vacuum cleaner.

Fixed

Does anyone know of a way to add nutirion to a healthy shake like this, without ruining the taste? :lol:

IMO, simple answer to your question is no. If you don't like how the powder is changing the taste of your shakes there really isn't a better way to do it. You can test different brands out, as they all have slightly different tastes and textures, but they will most likely all change the shake.

If you're lifting and exercising regulary I would recommend adding the extra protein though. You'll really notice the difference in how fast you recover and how well your muscles react. I am NOT into getting BIG, but I lift a few days a week and like to have a toned look. Even just with that I add a high protein shake a day to supplement what my bodies using, and I definitely notice a difference between when I do and don't (more in how I feel than how I look).

So if you are enjoying your shakes and don't want to ruin them, you may just want to consider adding another straight up protein shake to your diet. Wont' taste great, but you can suck it down quick and the calories vs. benefits would make it worth it.

The question is what goal are you trying to achieve? If you are trying to get bigger and build lean muscle then protein shakes are great. I currently am addicted to these (they also come in 11 oz 35g of protein size)..................

ABB Protein Shakes

They don't taste bad, if you want something that taste really good you should try Muscle Milk but its a little higher in calories and fat.

And its important to know how different proteins work, whey protein is a fast acting protein and is absorbed quickly by your body. Its great to take right after workouts or in the morning when your body is in a catabolic state from not eating during the hours you sleep. Caseine Protein is derived from Milk and is released into the body at a much slower rate and is a good thing to take before you go to sleep.

If your lifting weights and trying to get bigger Protein (not just protein shakes) is a must. I'm 6ft 175lbs and I take in about 150-200 grams a day. As a general rule of thumb if your trying to put on muscle you should consume about 1-1.5 grams per pound you weigh.

Currently I also take these supplements together (in additon to protein intake) and really have seen good results.........

BSN NO-XPLODE-Pre workout (although this stuff is loaded with caffeine and might not be for everyone)

BSN Cell-MASS- Creatine and workout recovery supplement. Awesome for recovery, wouldn't work out with out it.

Does anyone know of a way to add nutirion to a healthy shake like this, without ruining the taste? blink.gif

Buy pre-maid shakes, IMO they taste way better than powders and aren't a pain in the ass to make.

BSN Cell-MASS- Creatine and workout recovery supplement. Awesome for recovery, wouldn't work out with out it.

I take the tradition Creatine Monohydrate - how is BSN Cell-Mass different? Do you cycle?

I was also taking LG Science's 1-GH-1 stacked with Methyl 1-D and then with Formadrol. I think these were a big waste of money - but a friends swore by them. I did loose a lot of fat in a four-month stretch.

I take the tradition Creatine Monohydrate - how is BSN Cell-Mass different? Do you cycle?

I was also taking LG Science's 1-GH-1 stacked with Methyl 1-D and then with Formadrol. I think these were a big waste of money - but a friends swore by them. I did loose a lot of fat in a four-month stretch.

Its more geared toward muscle recovery in additon to the creatine. I'm not saying I've gotten better results as far as muscle growth over taking just creatine mono but I love what the cell-mass does for me the next day. I tend to overtrain sometimes (I try not to but I always seem to do so anyway) and the glutamine and other aspects of the supplements really allow you to push yourself. I usually do a 12 week cycle stacked with the NO XPLODE and then take about 4 weeks off of both.

If you want protein-eat a steak or chicken.

Yes! :devil:

The protein requirement is a problem that vegetarians face.

Nothing wrong with vegetarianism, at all - very healthy diet. The problem is that a few of the essential amino acids provided by meats aren't there in the plant sources. The Vegans, who eschew any dairy products, have a tougher problem.

My son takes protein shakes......and we both take a supplement called "Xtend" which is a muscule recovery supplement that is taken in a drink form.

My son is in muscule biulding mode while I am trying to shave off pounds........so he takes a weightgainer protein powder as it is in his routine to get so many grams of protein per pound that he is attempting to gain......this with a lifting routine has bee pretty successful.

it is cheaper to take protein shakes then to take it in other forms......and there are many different kinds to choose from.

How's it hangin'? Have you tried the new, Triple Strength Xtend?

Xtend

The question is what goal are you trying to achieve?

Yes, that is the question! I am starting to exercise and do basic work with free weights, to burn fat and get stronger. I am using Getting Stonger by Bill Pearl as a guide. I am probably 20 pounds overweight, according to most BMI charts for an average build person of my height. I am in no hurry to lose it - I want to lose it and keep it off. So we are talking a change in habits.

My goal is to feel better (and look better). I will never have six pack abs and I really do not care. I just don't want to lie on the beach and have kids try to roll me back into the sea. :lol:

I am not a vegan, but I also do not eat a lot of meat. I will occasionally rip into a Garbage Plate or rare slab of cow. :devil: Since I am on the go a lot if I do not grab some quick healthy food, I will eat quick crappy food. A good fruit/yogurt shake or two daily is a great way to do this.

Example: Today I had an apple, banana, fruit/yogurt , a handful of almonds, strawberries, and some chicken salad. (edit: and a granola bar)

Supper will be a large salad, whole grain bread, sauce and a couple meatballs, and cheese.

One glass of wine.

(I was drinking a couple glasses of wine and a couple beers every day)

I rarely have chicken and beef in the same day, so I need to make sure I get enough protein. I have not found a powder that did not taste like I should be sprinking in my shoes, not adding it to my drinking glass! (edit: but I have only tried a couple)

I make one shake every other day for my youngest son. It includes 2 scoops protein 2 scoops icecream,1 banana,tblsp peanut butter ,tsp honey and 2cups chocolate milk. He just turned 14 last week. He is a little on the slim side ,125 lbs. But the kid can bench 170. I have him on a weight lifting program the last 2 months. Hopefully this will give him alittle more weight. Yes I have tasted it and it tastes good.

Yes, that is the question! I am starting to exercise and do basic work with free weights, to burn fat and get stronger. I am using Getting Stonger by Bill Pearl as a guide. I am probably 20 pounds overweight, according to most BMI charts for an average build person of my height. I am in no hurry to lose it - I want to lose it and keep it off. So we are talking a change in habits.

My goal is to feel better (and look better). I will never have six pack abs and I really do not care. I just don't want to lie on the beach and have kids try to roll me back into the sea. :lol:

I am not a vegan, but I also do not eat a lot of meat. I will occasionally rip into a Garbage Plate or rare slab of cow. :devil: Since I am on the go a lot if I do not grab some quick healthy food, I will eat quick crappy food. A good fruit/yogurt shake or two daily is a great way to do this.

Example: Today I had an apple, banana, fruit/yogurt , a handful of almonds, strawberries, and some chicken salad. (edit: and a granola bar)

Supper will be a large salad, whole grain bread, sauce and a couple meatballs, and cheese.

One glass of wine.

I rarely have chicken and beef in the same day, so I need to make sure I get enough protein. I have not found a powder that did not taste like I should be sprinking in my shoes, not adding it to my drinking glass! (edit: but I have only tried a couple)

I used this stuff a while back - lost over 50 lbs on a modified Atkins/low-carb diet...

Vitamin World - Whey Protein

(The vanilla is OK because you can add your other fruits and flavors, the strawberry is also not too disgusting by itself - both taste better made with skim or non-fat milk, instead of water.)

One glass of wine.

You should really try Muscle Milk Light if you don't like the taste you get with powders (I hate them as well), this stuff taste awesome.............choclate taste exactly like choclate milk and each one is only 150 calories and you get 20 grams of protein (a blend of whey and caseine). Don't be deterred by the saturated fat as 80% of the saturated fat are in the form of triglycerides which your body won't store like normal saturated fat (that statement by Muscle Milk has been approved by the FDA which is rare when dealing with supplements). I know its called "Muscle Milk" but getting that protein will go a long way in your effort to lose weight as well....it will keep you full and help fuel your body to build lean muscle. For every pound of muscle you are able to gain your body has to burn an additional 50 calories a day just to maintain that muscle (on average) so if you can gain 6-7 lbs of muscle while burning fat, you're body will naturally be burning an additonal 300-350 calories a day. Its a great product.

Another program I would reccomend is the Men's Health Abs Diet, a lot of people have had Success following this plan (if you don't like the shakes your taking now though you might want to substitute them with the Muscle Milk Light). Its a real easy read and it actually works (and does a great job of explaining why it works).

Best of Luck Rock

I

(The vanilla is OK because you can add your other fruits and flavors, the strawberry is also not too disgusting by itself - both taste better made with skim or non-fat milk, instead of water.)

Vitamin World's Strawberry Whey is the best! I really like it. GNC's strawberry tastes like acid with a hint of straw berry.

The best quality and tasting protein supplements on the market since the 60's: www.bodybuildingworld.com ( BEVERLY INTERNATIONAL ). EAS, Met-trx, Muscle-tech (total garbage by the way) are no where close to quality and probably taste as well. No matter your goals , their products ( protein or anything else) leave everything else FAR behind. When I have been in serious fitness mode I have been at 5.6 bodyfat at 5'11 205 lbs and using Bevely International supplements. Check it out for yourself, you get what you pay for, which is the best hands down. www.bodybuildingworld.com

The best quality and tasting protein supplements on the market since the 60's: www.bodybuildingworld.com ( BEVERLY INTERNATIONAL ). EAS, Met-trx, Muscle-tech (total garbage by the way) are no where close to quality and probably taste as well. No matter your goals , their products ( protein or anything else) leave everything else FAR behind. When I have been in serious fitness mode I have been at 5.6 bodyfat at 5'11 205 lbs and using Bevely International supplements. Check it out for yourself, you get what you pay for, which is the best hands down. www.bodybuildingworld.com

5.6%? Wow- nice job! I want to cut up now for summer. How do you stay so lean? Do you run? How often? What is your diet like? I am 5'11 215 15%- you must be huge

I eat a myoplex bar and a myoplex shake. I drink my myoplex shake right after I workout. www.eas.com

Thats what I was going to suggest. I drink a shake after using the free weights and taking a 2-3 mile run. I usually drink one with a couple slices of peanut butter toast or an egg sandwich for breakfast. I'm not trying to be a body builder or anything but since I've been doing that I have felt a lot healthier. Bottom line, the myoplex shakes are pretty good, don't know about that bars though.

Use them as in "using" a magazine ala' the movie Vacation? How do you use a protiein supplement? :devil:

... okay so sue me, I've been knockin back a few beers tonight, gotta do somethin since the MIL is staying here this week!

How's it hangin'? Have you tried the new, Triple Strength Xtend?

Xtend

:devil:

Don't tell me that John From Hemet's kid actually tricked his Dad into buying him a penis enlarging pill AND convinced him to take it himself.

If you want protein-eat a steak or chicken.

What he says is true though......this is the type of FOOD you should be eating.

Sometimes folks get too carried away with supplements....they are SUPPLEMENTS and made to make up for things you are not able to get in your regular diet.

If you want results you have to eat real food.

Sometimes folks get too carried away with supplements....they are SUPPLEMENTS and made to make up for things you are not able to get in your regular diet.

Kale

I used this stuff a while back - lost over 50 lbs on a modified Atkins/low-carb diet...

Vitamin World - Whey Protein

This is the stuff that gags me. I will have to see if it is flavored. If you make a shake the night before, it is like splackle.

100% agree, but as I said earlier: "Since I am on the go a lot, if I do not grab some quick healthy food, I will eat quick crappy food. A good fruit/yogurt shake or two daily is a great way to do this."

I try to cook some chicken ahead of time. I have taken to grazing a lot. Three to five servings of fruit, granola bars, whole grain bread, unsalted nuts, a couple salads, peanut butter...

That was about 7 years ago when I worked as a trainer at Bally's in Schaumberg Ill. I'm a little over 230 now and probably about 12-15%. :worthy: Anyways Pete, I was running 30-45 minutes 4-5 days a week at the time along with lifting of course. A typical day of eating would be 1/2 cup oatmeal 6 egg whites with 6 oz. chicken breast at breakfast, protein shake as mid morning snack, 8 oz lean beef or chicken (again) with a salad for lunch, mid afternoon protein shake, 8 oz lean beef or chicken (again :P ) with a salad or any green vegetable for dinner, and if I was hungry (pretty much every evening) I'd eat 6-8 egg whites with a little hot sauce to get me by. Twice a week I would "carb up" and eat a huge baked potatoe with brown rice to rev my metabolism back up. I was able to stay in that shape for about 3 months but had a good 4 year stretch where I was never higher than 8-9%. Beer and in the last few years wine has undone me. ;)

Beer and in the last few years wine has undone me. :P

That was me. Cutting down on the alcohol alone saves me close to 800 useless calories a day.

A few weeks ago I decided not to drink at all for a while to see if it "bothered" me. After a week, the only thing I missed was the taste. I wanted to make sure I was not getting into that gray area of a "problem drinker", since I was drinking a couple beers and a couple glasses of wine EVERY day.

So I pretty much just cut down to one small glass of wine or one beer (or none) if I am just home.