How Many People Do You Know That Believe The Earth

Steely Dan

Age Of The Earth  

74 members have voted

1. 1. How Old Do You Think The Earth Is? Read All Choices B4 Deciding.

• 10, 000 years
    • Millions of years
    • 10,000 years and if you think different you can't be Christian
    • You can be Christian and believe the earth is millions of years old
    • People who think 10,000 years are nuts.
    • People who think millions are nuts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell that to Trigger. :lol:

I hear trigger doesn't eat much anymore. He's stuffed all the time.

All I know is that if I see an accident...i HAVE to stop...cause I know I am the only one that can really help them...

What?! Is there a reason for that post in this thread?

Well... I mean really that is one of the things that makes Christianity so credible, that it is so old. So that is not a fair question.

Since Buddhism is older than Christianity, does it make it more credible?

What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.

Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

Seeing thus, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with the body, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.' - Anatta-lakkhana Sutta

Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

Seeing thus, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with the body, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, 'Fully released.' He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.' - Anatta-lakkhana Sutta

"Ruling the universe is ike cooking a small fish." - Tao te Ching

"Ruling the universe is ike cooking a small fish." - Tao te Ching

Gain/loss, status/disgrace, censure/praise, pleasure/pain:

these conditions among human beings are inconstant, impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful, ponders these changing conditions.

Desirable things don't charm the mind, undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming & rebelling are scattered, gone to their end, do not exist.

Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state, he discerns rightly, has gone, beyond becoming, to the Further Shore.

-Lokavipatti Sutta

Gain/loss, status/disgrace, censure/praise, pleasure/pain:

these conditions among human beings are inconstant, impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful, ponders these changing conditions.

Desirable things don't charm the mind, undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming & rebelling are scattered, gone to their end, do not exist.

Knowing the dustless, sorrowless state, he discerns rightly, has gone, beyond becoming, to the Further Shore.

-Lokavipatti Sutta

"I'm gonna get me a shotgun and kill all the whities I see,

I'm gonna get me a shotgun and kill all the whities I see.

When I kill all the whities I see, then whitey he won't bother me,

I'm gonna get me a shotgun and kill all the whities I see.

Then I'll get a white woman who's wearing a navy blue sweater."

-Garrett Morris.

Creationism isn't about religion. It's about arrogance. What those people are saying is that God has to fit in their little box of understanding. "Oh but the Bible says...". Yes it does. Who wrote the Bible? Men. Who makes up the rules of religion? Men. It was only a few hundred years ago that religion declared the Earth was the center of the universe, and that the Earth was held up on the backs of 4 elephants. How did that theory hold up?

Creationism also has to do with pride. Religious people think they are one step below God, not that man is just one small part of a vast creation. It makes them crazy to suggest that maybe God's plan IS evolution, and men did evolve from lower beings, and maybe that "one day" in Genesis equals a billion years. They push Creationism not out of love of God, but the sin of their own pride.

To me the story of Genesis correlates to the Big Bang quite well. Especially if you look at it like a parable told to men living at time when actual science would go way over their heads. Most people look up at the sky and marvel at the mysteries of the universe. Religious nuts look up at the sky and believe God is there to revolve around them.

They shortchange God by railing against logic and intellect and science. God gave men the tools to understand the universe, and by extension to learn the mind of God. Real spiritual people get it. But then religion has more to do with power and control than spirituality.

PTR

What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: Our life is the creation of our mind.

Excellent. Then today I'm thinking of a threesome with myself and two hot blondes, a great steak from Sparks and a glass or two of Scotland's finest. I can't friggin wait till tomorrow.

The Matrix! :devil:

Excellent. Then today I'm thinking of a threesome with myself and two hot blondes, a great steak from Sparks and a glass or two of Scotland's finest. I can't friggin wait till tomorrow.

Me too, brutha!