So What Will You Be Doing During Earth Hour

millbank

Earth Hour

Copenhagen's doing it. So are Toronto, Chicago, Melbourne, Brisbane and Tel Aviv.

Now a Scio Township woman is hoping Ann Arbor joins the number of international cities in Earth Hour 2008.

During that hour - 8-9 p.m. Saturday - people will turn off all unnecessary lights to spread the message about global warming.

"We hope to increase people's awareness of global warming and how each one of us is actually responsible and can make a difference," said Robin Kahler, who lives in Touchstone Cohousing.

Earth Hour started last year in Sydney, Australia, when two million Sydney businesses and households turned off their lights for one hour. Now the idea is spreading around the world, with endorsements from organizations such as the World Wildlife Fund.

Mike Garfield, executive director of the Ecology Center in Ann Arbor, said Earth Hour is great theater if it's done on a large scale. He said it had a huge impact last year in Australia.

"The first thing is that an event like Earth Hour shows the world how much of an impact an individual has the environment," he said. "To see the aerial photographs of cities lit up at night all of a sudden going dark almost has the impact of seeing the Earth from outer space."

So what will you be doing between 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earth Hour

Copenhagen's doing it. So are Toronto, Chicago, Melbourne, Brisbane and Tel Aviv.

Now a Scio Township woman is hoping Ann Arbor joins the number of international cities in Earth Hour 2008.

During that hour - 8-9 p.m. Saturday - people will turn off all unnecessary lights to spread the message about global warming.

"We hope to increase people's awareness of global warming and how each one of us is actually responsible and can make a difference," said Robin Kahler, who lives in Touchstone Cohousing.

Earth Hour started last year in Sydney, Australia, when two million Sydney businesses and households turned off their lights for one hour. Now the idea is spreading around the world, with endorsements from organizations such as the World Wildlife Fund.

Mike Garfield, executive director of the Ecology Center in Ann Arbor, said Earth Hour is great theater if it's done on a large scale. He said it had a huge impact last year in Australia.

"The first thing is that an event like Earth Hour shows the world how much of an impact an individual has the environment," he said. "To see the aerial photographs of cities lit up at night all of a sudden going dark almost has the impact of seeing the Earth from outer space."

So what will you be doing between 8:00 PM - 9:00 PM

I'm a gonna tetch myself

Turn on all my lights,radios computers and crank up the furnace. I will have them going while I drive around for an hour

I forgot- I'll have a fire going in my fireplace.

Turn on all my lights,radios computers and crank up the furnace. I will have them going while I drive around for an hour

I forgot- I'll have a fire going in my fireplace.

lol

I guess I'll still be working at this car show. Selling car passes too inefficient gas burning, exhaust spewing vintage cars. Have to earn some extra cash somehow. Have to give compromise my green side for a different type of green I suppose.

Replace my flourescent bulbs with incandescent, cut down all my trees in my yard, turn on both cars and idle them then trade them in for a new Hummer, open my refridgerator, turn my heat up to 80, remove all my house insulation and open all my windows, then relax while I deep fry a bald eagle carcass.