Ok, I can purchase the failed drive for $200 + shipping...

SDS

then pay for a data recovery service. What would that get us?

Tha chance of recovering:

1 year's worth of article links

PM's

Old registrations

Posts up to 3/13/08

We would lose:

everything that has happened on the board from 3/13 to the day the old data gets reinserted. Unless I installed an archive board for reference.

The question I have for everyone is if it is worth it?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say don't bother.

-Post counts are meaningless.

-If I want information from someone that I received in PM, I can just PM them again.

-If someone wants to re-register, there is nothing stopping them (assuming you have had the opportunity to fix the issues we discussed previously).

-Why would we want to re-live the JP vs. TE debate again. :thumbsup:

Life goes on. No need to live in the past.

I say don't bother.

-If I want information from someone that I received in PM, I can just PM them again.

-If someone wants to re-register, there is nothing stopping them (assuming you have had the opportunity to fix the issues we discussed previously).

Agreed, although I'm sad to lose that thread in the Consumer Forum on the Red Ring of Death.

I can attest to the fact that I have not posted anything with any intrinsic or extrinsic value over the last year. So, in a way, losing all those posts provides me with an oppurtunity to re-invent myself, to erase my past, to recreate myself in an image of substance an intellect. So screw the lost data. I beg of you - give my life meaning and purpose again.

I can attest to the fact that I have not posted anything with any intrinsic or extrinsic value over the last year. So, in a way, losing all those posts provides me with an oppurtunity to re-invent myself, to erase my past, to recreate myself in an image of substance an intellect. So screw the lost data. I beg of you - give my life meaning and purpose again.

Hmm... Given this information, the data loss seems to have been pretty convenient for you... :Glances suspiciously at Dan: :thumbsup:

Hmm... Given this information, the data loss seems to have been pretty convenient for you... :Glances suspiciously at Dan: :thumbsup:

Yes... much as I hoped like crazy for the Y2K bug to crash the American banking system and erase my debt. Unfortunately, that didn't happen; but I'm hopeful the "TBD crash of '08" will be more beneficial.

I say don't bother.

Great point..Leave it with the dead....

IM(never)HO the past is the past. If history is important to members and it's only $300-$500 set up the paypal link and I'm sure you will get it in < a week.

More important is BACKUP. Funds should be gathered for a sister box and enough space/drives for a daily incremental and a weekly full backup with son/father/grandfather history. Plus mirroring. Pronto!

I say don't bother.

Amen KRC...and many thanks to SDS for everything you do

Would I like that stuff back? Sure. I probably had 50,000 words in the game previews alone.

But is it really worth the recovery cost?

The difficulty lies in trying to weigh my drivel with your thought provoking posts. Would a targeted recovery be possible?

My initial reaction was, "Are you nuts?" I think it would be nice to have for Lori's stuff and any of the contest/fantasy stuff that might be lost. But, for posts, and post counts, etc...the hell with it. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

My suggestion would be to use the money to buy some BACKUP capability, ya mook.