Is JaMarcus Russel the next vince young?

Please. Is JaMarcus Russell known as JMR like Vince Young is known as VY?

Of course not. You're nothing until people who don't know you casually refer to you by your initials. It took VY months to get Michael Irvin to give him his name. It'll take JaMarcus Russell at least that long.

Please. Is JaMarcus Russell known as JMR like Vince Young is known as VY?

Of course not. You're nothing until people who don't know you casually refer to you by your initials. It took VY months to get Michael Irvin to give him his name. It'll take JaMarcus Russell at least that long.

And JaMarcus has the added burden of having two capitalized letters in his first name! That, like, doubles the initial processing time!!

Russell reminds me a lot of Daunte Culpepper...take that as you will.

Good analogy, but to me Russell's an even bigger version of Jared Lorenzen, that 300 lb QB that Kentucky had a few years back. He now rides the pine for the Giants.

I think Culpepper proves it...there is such a thing as being too big to play quarterback in the NFL.

Good analogy, but to me Russell's an even bigger version of Jared Lorenzen, that 300 lb QB that Kentucky had a few years back. He now rides the pine for the Giants.

I think Culpepper proves it...there is such a thing as being too big to play quarterback in the NFL.

I wouldnt say that. Culpepper rushed himself back from a major knee injury when he probably should have sat out all of last year. Instead of letting that knee heal his 275 lbs frame crushed it and his hopes of making a comeback in the NFL. However, when he was healthy and paired with good WRs he was a solid deep threat QB and could move. Short yardage situations made him a real threat to run or pass. I think Russell will be about the same if he's on a good team and keeps his knees from getting too banged up

I was lucky enough to get a field pass to the LSU-ASU game two years ago and saw Russell as up close as you can possibly get without being in the game, and he was awesome. It was one of his better games, so my opinion may be clouded, but that guy is an amazing specimen and player. He's enormous, accurate, and he moves very well for a huge guy, too. I think he's a lot better passer than Vince Young but Young has those intangibles.

That was supposed to be sarcasm. ESPN is already saying hes gonna lead the raiders to the promised land. i never heard a thing about him until LSU beat ND.

No player Oakland brings in will lead them to the promised land for at least a couple year, but comparing Russel to Young is just all out wrong. Other than being big and black, they have nothing in common.

Russel has one of the fastest, hardest throws I have ever seen. He flicks his wrist and the ball goes 50 yards down field. It's amazing. He's doesn't have elite accuracy, but he is accurate and generally makes good decisions with his throws. He is also VERY relaxed vs the blitz. He hangs tough in the pocket, moves around very well for his size, and can throw almost as well on the run as he can in the pocket.

And you not hearing of him doesn't really mean a whole lot. Everyone in the SEC knew who he was. Every game plan was focused on stopping him, and most of the time he still shredded defenses. He wasn't expected to come out early before the season, so there wasn't much focus on him as a pro prospect. But with the way he played all season, and the huge game he had with national audience over ND made it a no brainer for him to take off early.

Another over-hyped QB that is still unproven at the NFL level.

AGREED! Why everyone has anointed VY the next Brady or Montana is beyond me. Yeah, he own some games but when you look at the numbers, they're what I'd consider "superstar" ... 12 TDS, 13 INTs, 51% completion and a 66.7 rating doesn't flatter me. Let's see what he can do when coaches in his division get an offseason to scheme for him and the league catches up.

I'm not saying he's a bust, but he's the next Mike Vick... overhyped, running machine that ESPN and the NFL market the hell out of to sell tickets and merch and TV commercials.

Mark my words, he's not going to end up the best QB in that class.

I equate him to a hot prospect pitcher getting his first 10 MLB starts. The top ones usually perform well until the scouting reports come out and people figure him out.