Briggs a possiBILLity?

tubotm68

Bills need to replace Spikes and Fletcher-Baker

Buffalo has been very active in the trade market this offseason, sending tailback Willis McGahee to Baltimore for a slew of draft picks before packaging linebacker Takeo Spikes and quarterback Kelly Holcomb to Philadelphia for defensive tackle Darwin Walker. Linebacker London Fletcher-Baker left for the aforementioned Redskins via free agency, so the Bills have major holes to fill at that position. Pauline has learned that Buffalo is offering their pick in the first round – No. 12 overall – to the Bears for Briggs, although Angelo would have to include another selection in return for that deal to happen.

This potential trade could pick up some steam because Buffalo is coached by former Bears front man Dick Jauron, who Briggs played for as a rookie.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/thread/1601681.aspx

Maybe. I would do it. Willis will be picked by the Niners and Posluzny is not worth the 12th pick. That is if we are truly planning to go linebacker in the first. Briggs is a sure thing, an expensive sure thing, but a sure thing none-the-less.

God I dont want to bump this thread, but no thanks. Briggs could turn out to be a dud in the end. Not worth 20 million guaranteed. Nuh uh.

A dud in the end? He's been the best and most consistent LB on that team for the last 3 years. He is one of the best in the game. Doesn't the fact that 20mil garaunteed is his market value tell you anything? You would rather give that money to a rookie LB that has never played a down of football in the pro's over an already established pro bowler? That is ludacris.

Assuming that it's a swapping of 1st rd picks and a favorable contract can be workrd out with Briggs, then here's a scenario that could be feasible.

Secure Briggs and then draft CB Marcus McCauley with the 31st pick. In the second rd draft S Aaron Rouse at #43 and convert him to LB. Now we dial up San Diego and work out a trade for Turner with one of our 3rd rd picks and if we have to, tap into next year's draft for another pick to sweeten the pot (a 3rd or 4th rder?). We would still have a 3rd rd pick left and based on which is available take the best available player, CB,RB,DT,or LB would still be desirable.

* If there were to be another pick coming from the Bears it would only make this a more lucrative scenario. Keep in mind that Chicago's GM Jerry Angelo took a burn to the way Washington went about trying to make a deal for Briggs. In addition Briggs may be more lenient on negoiating knowing that the Bears control the decisions for him this year and I do believe that he would take a more resonable contract just to get out of Chicago.

I do remember Marv speaking very glowingly of Briggs, before becoming our GM (he used to cover the Bears in Chicago)...said it he was one of the best LB's in the leauge, and the kind of player to build a defense around...FWIW

Hearing Marv the other week reminiscing about the Cornelius Bennett trade also sticks in my mind that if he felt that Briggs was the type of LB that you could build a team around, especially having young players, then this could be a tempting trade for Marv.

If the guy on the block was Urlacher Id have more interest. I'd rather see us do this with turner than with briggs I think, for multiple reasons. We'd probobly be a lot better off with patrick willis.

Now we dial up San Diego and work out a trade for Turner with one of our 3rd rd picks and if we have to, tap into next year's draft for another pick to sweeten the pot (a 3rd or 4th rder?).

I'm no GM, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express long enough to know you won't get AJ Smith to give you a cup of coffee with a third round pick, let alone give you Turner.

Someone will give him at least a second, and more likely a second and a third. I hope I'm wrong and you nailed it, but I just don't see it.

I'm no GM, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express long enough to know you won't get AJ Smith to give you a cup of coffee with a third round pick, let alone give you Turner.

Someone will give him at least a second, and more likely a second and a third. I hope I'm wrong and you nailed it, but I just don't see it.

I bet you that Marv can get a cup of coffee for this year's third. :blink:

Trade our #1 for Briggs and the Bears #3, and then trade our #2 for Turner. We would have the solid linebacker we desperately need, a solid starting RB we desperately need, and three number threes to either trade up or select a CB, and extra LB, WR or TE. I'd be all over that. Briggs is a better overall pick than Willis would be. He's a solid, proven and sometimes excellent player. A legitimate pro bowler in his prime and already knows the defense. And if they pull the trigger, you know that Jauron is completely on board and he would be the guy that would know how good Briggs really is.

Trade our #1 for Briggs and the Bears #3, and then trade our #2 for Turner. We would have the solid linebacker we desperately need, a solid starting RB we desperately need, and three number threes to either trade up or select a CB, and extra LB, WR or TE. I'd be all over that. Briggs is a better overall pick than Willis would be. He's a solid, proven and sometimes excellent player. A legitimate pro bowler in his prime and already knows the defense. And if they pull the trigger, you know that Jauron is completely on board and he would be the guy that would know how good Briggs really is.

Can't do it and make them happy enough to play this year (Briggs) or next year (M Turner) b/c the Bills will only spend Cash To Cap. That is unless they take the Big signing Bonus in 2008 and not when then sign.

Probably not happening. Maybe one of them but Not Both!

could we really afford both briggs and turner?i am just curious.i know we have a sort of rookie salary cap but i would think even one of those two players would get what we planned to spend on our entire draft.maybe i am way way wrong on this.but if the bills do have the money for those two players that would be awesome.go bills in"07

could we really afford both briggs and turner?i am just curious.i know we have a sort of rookie salary cap but i would think even one of those two players would get what we planned to spend on our entire draft.maybe i am way way wrong on this.but if the bills do have the money for those two players that would be awesome.go bills in"07

We could afford it if we wanted to, yes. We would be over our cash to the cap and I'm not sure that the Bills would do it, but they surely have the money and the room under the cap to fit them in with some creative contracts. Not having any major FA's next season whose contracts are up is an easy way to get creative and not mortgage the future. And both of these guys are relatively young and in their prime and ready to go. The players are really most concerned about guaranteed money, not necessarily signing bonuses. You can guarantee them some of their money next year and still give them a few million this year. The #12 spot is going to be a 5/13 or so million dollar contract with 9-10 mil guaranteed anyway and we wouldn't be paying that.

That's what I'm thinking, Doggy. But, I also think it might be just to good to be true.

If Marv can pull that off, I want to hear you sing his praises over a cocktail the next time we meet up.

Those two 3rd rounders we currently have could really turn out to be VERY helpful this year, in that they give us room to maneuver.

I don't know if I like giving up our 1 for briggs and another pick. I'd rather give up our 1 and maybe a thrid and get Briggs and their number 1. That way we would still have Briggs and three day one picks. Would it be great if that happened and Puz or Timmons or Beason were still there at 31?! Briggs-Crowell-Puz (Timmons). (realistically though, Puz won't last that long. he's climbing up boards if anything and a TON of teams need outside linbackers, just off the top of my head.. st. Louis, Carolina, Bengals, Giants, Cheifs, Pats, Bears?, Philly, pittsburgh, etc...) Then you can address RB and CB in rounds 2 and 3...aww that would be nice!!

According to KFFL they got a ton of possible replacements lined up for Briggs. That and just the indication that the Bears are accepting and willing to trade Briggs gives some hope that Buffalo just might be in the mix. Us just having the LB position unsettled is enough of a reason to view us as a valid trade partner. C'mon Marv, you're on the clock!

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Assuming that it's a swapping of 1st rd picks and a favorable contract can be workrd out with Briggs
I didnt read where it said we were swapping first round picks. If the deal is swap the 12 pick for 31 and Briggs- that is absolutely a nobrainer! Sounds too good to be true to me

How exactly would the Bills be able to pull this off when the Deadskins are offering the #6 overall for Briggs and the #31??? :blink:

I'm definitely down with this...I'd love to see that scenario play out.

How exactly would the Bills be able to pull this off when the Deadskins are offering the #6 overall for Briggs and the #31??? :blink:

If that's true why isn't the deal done by now? That's a no-brainer and I have to assume that offer would be accepted the moment it was proffered. I'm going to go out on a HUGE limb here and guess the Skins offered nothing of the sort.

I'm definitely down with this...I'd love to see that scenario play out.

As I understood it, Washington offered their 6th overall to Chicago for Briggs and Chicago's 31st. It's a swap of firsts and Briggs.

Let's remember Chicago is the same team that was too cheap to give Lovie Smith a contract extension and before they finally rewarded him for two playoff seasons, had him as the cheapest head coach in the NFL. They're not going to give Briggs away, regardless of Rosenhaus.

If that's true why isn't the deal done by now? That's a no-brainer and I have to assume that offer would be accepted the moment it was proffered. I'm going to go out on a HUGE limb here and guess the Skins offered nothing of the sort.

Because:

A) It's far from a "huge no-brainer" - I'd demand more for Briggs, too, if I were the Bears.

B) Your assumption would be dead wrong.

C) Your limb just snapped and sent you tumbling down to break your crown:

http://mvn.com/nfl-bears/2007/03/29/bears-...er-to-redskins/

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10098529

http://www.topix.net/content/trb/002759754...338800023824361

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10092141

Dean, I normally appreciate your posts but I don't appreciate you calling me out when you don't have your facts straight. Thanks for playing and I accept your apology in advance.

If the guy on the block was Urlacher Id have more interest. I'd rather see us do this with turner than with briggs I think, for multiple reasons. We'd probobly be a lot better off with patrick willis.

There is no guarantee that Willis is going to pan out...If we were going to draft a linebacker anyway, then why not trade the pick for one of the best in the league in the prime of his career?

There is never a guarantee about a draft pick...Remember Mike Williams? He was said to be the safest pick of the 2002 draft. If we can get Briggs for the 12 pick, I think we have to do it.

How exactly would the Bills be able to pull this off when the Deadskins are offering the #6 overall for Briggs and the #31???

Because it has been stated on ESPN approx. twice, that the Redskins 6th overall pick is too expensive for Chicago, and that if Chicago even decided to trade him for that pick they would surely trade it away as well. So, in some aspects the Bills pick is more appealing to them because it is a relatively perfect position for da Bears. The Bears may be happy with the 6th pick if they know they can trade it, but that is not a sure thing.

besides being expensive (like giving up picks and wanting to be the highest paid linebacker),i see another problem with briggs to buffalo.i do not think the bills will want a player that drew rosenhaus represents.i know marv did not deal with him on the willis mcgahee contract.it is just that drew ran his mouth how he fake phone called himself that other teams were interested in willis.he also said before the draft that willis was fit and ready to play.he told everybody that would listen that he duped the bills.i do not think ralph wilson would sign off on a major deal for a drew player.go bills in"07

Because:

A) It's far from a "huge no-brainer" - I'd demand more for Briggs, too, if I were the Bears.

B) Your assumption would be dead wrong.

C) Your limb just snapped and sent you tumbling down to break your crown:

http://mvn.com/nfl-bears/2007/03/29/bears-...er-to-redskins/

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10098529

http://www.topix.net/content/trb/002759754...338800023824361

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10092141

Dean, I normally appreciate your posts but I don't appreciate you calling me out when you don't have your facts straight. Thanks for playing and I accept your apology in advance.

I really didn't mean to jump down YOU throat, XNY, I was responding to the source of you info, not to you posting of the info (if that makes sense).

But, I was STILL wrong, as I misread/misunderstood the terms as you presented them (and I still don't know how). I was thinking the sources were saying The Skins were giving TWO first rounders for only Briggs (the 6th and the 31st...which they don't own D'OH!).

So, my bad, dude...sorry you took it the wrong way and sorry I was so freaking stupid.

With that said, I think KtD's suggested trade, our #1 (at a more affordable spot for da Bears) for Briggs and the Bear's 3rd rounder may be a more attractive offer to Chicago than the Redskin's offer.

besides being expensive (like giving up picks and wanting to be the highest paid linebacker),i see another problem with briggs to buffalo.i do not think the bills will want a player that drew rosenhaus represents.i know marv did not deal with him on the willis mcgahee contract.it is just that drew ran his mouth how he fake phone called himself that other teams were interested in willis.he also said before the draft that willis was fit and ready to play.he told everybody that would listen that he duped the bills.i do not think ralph wilson would sign off on a major deal for a drew player.go bills in"07

If it makes you feel any better, I will personally guarantee this will not be an issue.