who is going to stop the run?

freester

With the 8 roster spots on the defensive line now determined, I still don't see how we can stuff the run. Walker is a penetrator and plays the same position as Triplett. Williams and Mcgargo are not run pluggers.

I think people are going to be surprised with the play of Kyle Williams after he gets a full off-season training.

With the 8 roster spots on the defensive line now determined, I still don't see how we can stuff the run. Walker is a penetrator and plays the same position as Triplett. Williams and Mcgargo are not run pluggers.

after or linebacker core is set then we will be able to see what kind of run defense we have.

It is a legitimate concern given Walker's size. McCargo and Williams should develop well. I could still us drafting Okoye at 12...maybe because I'm so concerned that stopping the run is our absolute major problem and think we should go all out to do that. I will accept that many would not like the idea since we have some other needs and going for a fifth dt with our first round pick is a luxury we can't afford. I still think he's too good to pass up if he's there.

It is a legitimate concern given Walker's size. McCargo and Williams should develop well. I could still us drafting Okoye at 12...maybe because I'm so concerned that stopping the run is our absolute major problem and think we should go all out to do that. I will accept that many would not like the idea since we have some other needs and going for a fifth dt with our first round pick is a luxury we can't afford. I still think he's too good to pass up if he's there.

Okoye will be long gone by #12.

Bills will stop the run by getting LBs that will actually fill the cut back lanes as our DTs disrupt the backfield. All 4 DL will be attacking the backfield and causing confusion.

Willis is key to manning the middle so Bills will trade up to #10 to leapfrog SF.

People have to alter their understanding of how the Bills defense will be run. They (right or wrong) are going with a scheme that relies on the DT's to penetrate the Line of Scrimmage to force or disrupt or running plays in the backfield. They are not as hung up as many of us are , or believe, in the whole 1 technique vs. 3 technique thing. Sure they have guys that are 1 technique-ish (if that's a word) but I don't believe they are going with the traditional 4-3 where you have your 2 distinct types of DT's.

People have to alter their understanding of how the Bills defense will be run. They (right or wrong) are going with a scheme that relies on the DT's to penetrate the Line of Scrimmage to force or disrupt or running plays in the backfield. They are not as hung up as many of us are , or believe, in the whole 1 technique vs. 3 technique thing. Sure they have guys that are 1 technique-ish (if that's a word) but I don't believe they are going with the traditional 4-3 where you have your 2 distinct types of DT's.

Oh my God... someone here actually understands this defense.

Bravo 24-78-83, I thought I was surrounded by retards after yesterday, but you've finally proven I'm not. The Bills are looking for a speed defense. That means that EVERY player is a speed guy. They don't want some 500 lb. tub of lard sitting in the middle making it harder for linebackers and other Dlinemen to penetrate. If it comes down to it, they will incorporate some kind of DT middle clog with a floating WLB, while the middle and L take whatever the line gives up.

Our only true problem with this now is the draw play, but I believe Crowell will tell Thomas Jones to sit down :nana:

Oh my God... someone here actually understands this defense.

Bravo 24-78-83, I thought I was surrounded by retards after yesterday, but you've finally proven I'm not. The Bills are looking for a speed defense. That means that EVERY player is a speed guy. They don't want some 500 lb. tub of lard sitting in the middle making it harder for linebackers and other Dlinemen to penetrate. If it comes down to it, they will incorporate some kind of DT middle clog with a floating WLB, while the middle and L take whatever the line gives up.

Our only true problem with this now is the draw play, but I believe Crowell will tell Thomas Jones to sit down :nana:

This is absolutely correct - the Tampa 2 defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2) -- not a bad writeup -- is designed for speed and gang tackling.

Fast D-linemen shoot the gaps and disrupt the play call. Meanwhile, the LB's are supposed to attack to the line of scrimmage going to the ball.

So many people here are hung up on having to have a HUGE Sam Adams-type to clog the middle.

I also agree with ganesh about Kyle Williams. I was AMAZED to see a rookie defensive lineman play so well. He has nothing but upside folks. What a great draft Marv had last year.

Seems to me that Patrick Willis would fit in very nicely in this defense. He SHOULD be there at 12. should be.....

Logic be damned; we want a huge run stuffing DT!!! Once we get that, we're goin' to the Super Bowl, baby!

This is absolutely correct - the Tampa 2 defense (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2) -- not a bad writeup -- is designed for speed and gang tackling.

Fast D-linemen shoot the gaps and disrupt the play call. Meanwhile, the LB's are supposed to attack to the line of scrimmage going to the ball.

So many people here are hung up on having to have a HUGE Sam Adams-type to clog the middle.

I also agree with ganesh about Kyle Williams. I was AMAZED to see a rookie defensive lineman play so well. He has nothing but upside folks. What a great draft Marv had last year.

Seems to me that Patrick Willis would fit in very nicely in this defense. He SHOULD be there at 12. should be.....

but he may go to SF-

so the Bills will trade up to #10 with Houston to make sure they get him

Post of the year. Thank you. I agree, everyone else is too worried about the "1" and the "3" positions alogn the d-line, and we wont be playing a standard defense like that. A rotation means just that, we'll have all 4 DT's playing both spots on the line at various time. Sure, specific players may be designated the 1 or 3 technique, but thats not going to limit where or with whom they play with.

Post of the year. Thank you. I agree, everyone else is too worried about the "1" and the "3" positions alogn the d-line, and we wont be playing a standard defense like that. A rotation means just that, we'll have all 4 DT's playing both spots on the line at various time. Sure, specific players may be designated the 1 or 3 technique, but thats not going to limit where or with whom they play with.

If they Bills DTs can penetrate, it will force running plays more to the outside, and they can utilize the speed of our under rated (even on this board) defensive ends.

That said, they still need help at LB, and my particular favorite at this time is Willis.

Could that one poster please cut and paste his explaination of how the cover 2 stops the run again? It really does explain everything....

In nutshell.....we wont use fatbodys to plug the run....the idea is to get into the opposing backfield with gap penetrators (of which every single one of our DT's are now) and then have LB's that attack the line of scrimmage and fill the gaps......

I think that is basically it in a nutshell

Could that one poster please cut and paste his explaination of how the cover 2 stops the run again? It really does explain everything....

In nutshell.....we wont use fatbodys to plug the run....the idea is to get into the opposing backfield with gap penetrators (of which every single one of our DT's are now) and then have LB's that attack the line of scrimmage and fill the gaps......

Okay....

If they Bills DTs can penetrate, it will force running plays more to the outside, and they can utilize the speed of our under rated (even on this board) defensive ends.

That said, they still need help at LB, and my particular favorite at this time is Willis.

We do need help at LB. with the d-line disrupting plays, the LB's need to attack the LOS and shut down the run. Willis would help immensely in this area. I am with you regarding our DE's tho. They are highly underrated, and schobel is a beast. Kelsay started to emerge last year, and schobel rose up to 14 sacks. If Kelsay continues to improve, its not out of the realm of possibility to see the duo approaching 25 sacks combined.