A-Train re-signed

Dan III

We'll have to wait and see what his role will be next year.

I can't imagine that he'll be the lead runner, even in a RB by committee approach. While I think its a good re-signing, their interest in Rhodes, Dillon and Brown kind of makes it obvious that he was not their first choice for a veteran RB.

Better not have been for too much.

And time to contact the agents for June, Scott, and Harper. It's getting close to draft time. Probably can get them cheap.

What some people forget is that Harper played a few seasons for the Hamilton Ti-Cats so he'd be used to weather and climate of playing in Buffalo. I think he'd be a good fit.

Very happy to have A-Train back. Right now that leaves us at our weak positions with:

RB: A-Train-Shaud

LB: Ellison-Crowell-Spikes

CB: Youboty-McGee-Greer

DT: Tripplett-McCargo-Kyle-Hargrove

No more glaring holes where we have empty jerseys. I would still like to upgrade all four of these positions, but adding in A-Train gets us in a position where we can pick the best guys through remaining free agents and all 7 rounds of the draft, and not get locked in to having to do XYZ with our #12 pick.

Very happy to have A-Train back. Right now that leaves us at our weak positions with:

RB: A-Train-Shaud

LB: Ellison-Crowell-Spikes

CB: Youboty-McGee-Greer

DT: Tripplett-McCargo-Kyle-Hargrove

No more glaring holes where we have empty jerseys. I would still like to upgrade all four of these positions, but adding in A-Train gets us in a position where we can pick the best guys through remaining free agents and all 7 rounds of the draft, and not get locked in to having to do XYZ with our #12 pick.

i think the good thing is our holes are identifiable, we have a lot of opportunity to fill them, and there are not a lot of pressing needs.

1. we MUST bring on 2 more CBs.

2. we MUST get at least 1 RB

3. we should get an upgrade to our LBs

4. we should get an upgrade to our DTs

we can do that. and then some. i think.

i think the good thing is our holes are identifiable, we have a lot of opportunity to fill them, and there are not a lot of pressing needs.

Right. And there are lots of ways to do that when you don't say "#1 impact DT/RB/CB/LB" at the end.

So we could go Revis, Irons, DT, LB on day one and sign KT and June

Or we could go Willis, RB, DT, CB signing a depth KT or another depth CB

Or we could go Peterson, CB, DT, CB signing June

...etc. There are lots of ways to upgrade our weakest positions and get strong players added in the draft.

Right now I'm officially going to start on the June and KT bandwagon, because that would simplify things down and give us a lot of options for a great draft.

Looking at it the way Dankenstein and Koufax are looking at it, I feel most worried about CB, then RB, then ILB. I don't think we'll have all 3 needs by the time April 28 rolls around.

why?

because Chris Brown has a lot more upsise that A-Train. He has more speed and catches better. His downside is that he has not been able to stay healthy. He would fine as part of a rotation with the hope he stays healthy.

Bills should sign Brown and draft a RB on day 1.

Chris Brown = Jonas Jennings

OK....time for another Marv apology thread?

That is a bargain basement salary signing for a running back that at times outplayed the "best back in the league" that we just traded for two 3rd round picks.....

I really like A trains style to....there is no dance in him he is hitting whatever hole there is no matter what.....

When you get a back that does that and pair it with dominant run blocking......well lets just say we really dont need to take a back until around the 3rd round.

I really like the way this team is forming up.

OK....time for another Marv apology thread?

That is a bargain basement salary signing for a running back that at times outplayed the "best back in the league" that we just traded for two 3rd round picks.....

I really like A trains style to....there is no dance in him he is hitting whatever hole there is no matter what.....

When you get a back that does that and pair it with dominant run blocking......well lets just say we really dont need to take a back until around the 3rd round.

I really like the way this team is forming up.

It says nothing to you that nobody wanted him, for 2-3 years now, and nobody called him or brought him in even to be a back-up? I am happy to have him, too, as he is very good insurance in case of injury, can spell the starter a few series, and can start a couple games in a pinch. He's versatile, can block a little, catch a little, hit some holes and break some tackles. But this guy is clearly a back-up, plays like a back-up, acts like a back-up, talks like a back-up, is paid like a back-up, and yet we're apparently the only ones that wanted him as a back-up.

It says nothing to you that nobody wanted him, for 2-3 years now, and nobody called him or brought him in even to be a back-up? I am happy to have him, too, as he is very good insurance in case of injury, can spell the starter a few series, and can start a couple games in a pinch. He's versatile, can block a little, catch a little, hit some holes and break some tackles. But this guy is clearly a back-up, plays like a back-up, acts like a back-up, talks like a back-up, is paid like a back-up, and yet we're apparently the only ones that wanted him as a back-up.

Good depth signing...but totally agree. There are several better backs, regardless of whether they're in a two-back set or not. Thomas stuck around because he wasn't in demand by the rest of the NFL. I don't know if his relationship with DJ helped here with the potentially low price, but it probably did given their familiarity. This is a guy who rarely played in 05, even after Deuce McAllister went down. That tells me a lot about him. And then to get 109 yards against Indy's swiss cheese defense made me wonder about his everydown back abilities.

Let's not get too excited about A-Train. He will do the things mentioned above, but won't provide us with a dominant back. Sorry to raise the rational flag here, but he's just part of the solution, not close to all of it.

No complaints for this signing at all. Hardworking, hardrunning and knows our system. Not to mention our coaches know him. Yes he's a backup RB, but may be able to step up a little farther than that, and maybe he can't. I'm Plenty fine with this.

It's not like we're getting a pig-in-a-poke. We know it it isn't a prime greyhound in our bag, but we also know it isnt a bag full of Mularkey.

Exactly!

He showed last year that he can be a good #2 and I am glad they signed him for what appears to be a relatively cheap deal.

However, the bottomline remains that he has never ever started more than 13 games in a season during his entire 6 year career and that the last time he even achieved 1000 yards in a season was back in 2003.

He finally at least appeared in all 16 games for the first time last year, so he certainly gets a shot at starting like anyone else, but you would have to be a fool to count on this or expect it.