Do the Bills now have the worst defense in NFL?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we DO have one of the worst, if not THE worst defense, in the NFL today. In fact, we're going to get our asses handed to us tomorrow.

Oh, wait. We don't play tomorrow. We don't play for SIX FREAKING MONTHS. :cry::cry:

This pearl of wisdom from one of the minds behind the "We're DOOOOOMED" era of TBD sarcasm. How's that workin' out for ya'?

I actually see it as one large step backward for the defense (because of Nate) and three steps forward for the offense as it should dramatically improve RB and running game, the QB and passing game, the future, and even the defense, dramatically.

Derrick Dockery is 3 steps forward, and losing Clements and Fletcher is one step back? I've heard of the glass being half full or half empty, but that's ridiculous. I understand the idea of improving the defense by controlling the clock and getting leads on offense, but you still have to be able to play some defense.

Derrick Dockery is 3 steps forward, and losing Clements and Fletcher is one step back? I've heard of the glass being half full or half empty, but that's ridiculous. I understand the idea of improving the defense by controlling the clock and getting leads on offense, but you still have to be able to play some defense.

So without Clements our defense is worthless? I know he was a good CB, but the defense doesn't begin and end with Clements. I think what people are saying is that its better to have a great offensive line, than a single great CB.

Oh, I know. I am not equating it the way you are.

I think the offense is helped in three separate and very significant ways by having these three guys (although for sure mostly Dockery). I think it helps the run game a ton, the pass game a ton, and even some of the defense. It also makes Losman a lot better, Willis a lot better, lessens the need for a great #2, and makes the TE better by not having to stay in and block every play. On the other hand, I think Fletcher isn't a huge loss because his tackles are where he starts the play or behind it, and our pass defense will suffer greatly without Nate. So our run defense will be just as bad, our pass defense will be hurt a lot. That's my 3-1 reasoning.

So without Clements our defense is worthless? I know he was a good CB, but the defense doesn't begin and end with Clements. I think what people are saying is that its better to have a great offensive line, than a single great CB.

Clements and Fletcher is not a good trade for Dockery. I'm sorry, but those were two durable playmakers who've done the job over the long haul. I like Dockery, but even so he is much less accomplished than EITHER and as we've seen, our man John "Justa" Guy has delivered a long series of flops unto our offensieve line. Chris Vilarrial was supposed to be very good. Bennie Anderson was supposed to be a "road grader". I'm glad they addressed the line, but there is nothing more discouraging than watching your team get the ball run down their throats or constantly having third downs converted on them.

Clements and Fletcher is not a good trade for Dockery. I'm sorry, but those were two durable playmakers who've done the job over the long haul. I like Dockery, but even so he is much less accomplished than EITHER and as we've seen, our man John "Justa" Guy has delivered a long series of flops unto our offensieve line. Chris Vilarrial was supposed to be very good. Bennie Anderson was supposed to be a "road grader". I'm glad they addressed the line, but there is nothing more discouraging than watching your team get the ball run down their throats or constantly having third downs converted on them.

AHH tin foil curtain

I understand what you're saying. But, look at the monies invovled. Marv had a choice: spend money and attempt to upgrade the O-line or spend money and resign Nate and London. I think we can all agree that we couldn't do both. So, Marv chose to address the O-line. Was that the wrong decision? We'll get an idea of that after the draft and we see all the moves. But, we won't know for certain until sometime next season.

For myself, I like the moves. Neither Nate nor London did much of anything to stop the run last season. So why not change those two position up? And we certainly needed an upgrade on the line. Like Marv's choices or not, one thing is clear. They targeted 2 guys and got those 2 guys. So, now we'll see if they were right.

Wait till the draft is over, right now the D looks avg. at best.

Haven't you heard - Willis pissed some people off, so we need to run his no good lazy low character arse out of town and trade him for a roll of tape and draft his replacement in the 1st round. Defense will have to wait to be addressed, even though we already have a RB with a new line to work behind. Best defense is a good offense, ya know?

Haven't you heard - Willis pissed some people off, so we need to run his no good lazy low character arse out of town and trade him for a roll of tape and draft his replacement in the 1st round. Defense will have to wait to be addressed, even though we already have a RB with a new line to work behind. Best defense is a good offense, ya know?

One of the keys to a very long rebuilding plan is to keep tearing it down as you go.

One of the keys to a very long rebuilding plan is to keep tearing it down as you go.

Yep, and Marv and Jauron sure have had MORE than enough time to build the team they want. Not to mention have proven through years of consistent offseason moves and strategy that they have no idea how to get this team to be what they want.

Yep, and Marv and Jauron sure have had MORE than enough time to build the team they want. Not to mention have proven through years of consistent offseason moves and strategy that they have no idea how to get this team to be what they want.

Welll.........no, I mean Marv has to fire at least one head coach before he himself can be fired so the next guy can make the same mistakes. All I know is it just keeps working. The Bills: not charging fans for playoff tickets for a decade and counting!

I can't be critical of Marv for wanting to free up Spikes' 6.5 million.

Afterall he didn't play half the year last year and the D stood up decently without him.

There's no guarantee he'll ever be the player he was.

I can see why he'd want to invest that cash elsewhere where there could be a lot more upside.

Welll.........no, I mean Marv has to fire at least one head coach before he himself can be fired so the next guy can make the same mistakes. All I know is it just keeps working. The Bills: not charging fans for playoff tickets for a decade and counting!

What exactly are the same mistakes? Not trying to put any focus on the Dline...like drafting two DT's (one in the first round) and re-signing guys they think have a good future like Kelsay? Or maybe not doing enough to upgrade the Oline, like moving guys around to find the best position for them and making big attempts to upgrade with veteran FA's?

No, maybe not. Maybe it's going out of there way to sign the name guys that will put asses in the seats no matter if they fit any kind of scheme or plans for the future based on on those schemes.

This front office may fail miserably over the next two or three years, but judging them based on the performance of past GM's and coaches, who they so far have very little in common, shouts of nothing more than ridiculous attempts to B word and moan about SOMETHING....ANYTHING!!!!

And giving them no time (it's still too early to judge IMO, and you were making these same arguments last offseason anyway) to actual bring change and focus and SOME kind of direction to this team only furthers that.

$80M for clements is way too much for his position. First I don't think any cornerback is worth that much, second Clements isn't that good to command that much money and third Bills management hopefully have a plan to replace him. Very few, if any, players are expendable as long as management has a plan to replace him with an adequate substitution. Clements was good but certainly wasn't great. He played to the level of the team around him. To command that much money be spent on one CB requires that that CB be able to play great no matter what.

Fletcher, it was time to let him go especially at the money he signed for. 5 yards and a ton of tackles is 32 years and could hit the wall at any time and had a difficult time playing the run in the cover 2 defense. He isn't the answer let him go. Once agail we will have to see if the bills have a plan to replace him. The Redskins overpaid as they usually do. Better them than the Bills. It seems to work well for them.