I guess I am the only one who thinks....

ans4e64

I must be the only one, but I honestly thought Ryan Denney was better last year. He got sacks, but more importantly forced so many crucial turnovers and made crucial plays at the right time. I love that we have Kelsay back, but I guess I'm just shocked at what it took. I guess this means he is the clear cut starter? i dont know.

i liked Denney too, and probably couldnt pick the better one based on last year. but Kelsay has steadily and greatly improved year after year. i think he's just starting to hit a stride, where Denney's learning curve is starting to flatten. not to take anything away from Ryan Denney, i just think they now expect more from Kelsay

I must be the only one, but I honestly thought Ryan Denney was better last year. He got sacks, but more importantly forced so many crucial turnovers and made crucial plays at the right time. I love that we have Kelsay back, but I guess I'm just shocked at what it took. I guess this means he is the clear cut starter? i dont know.

I'm with you. If we are so cash strapped, why spend such a chunk of money on a part-time DE who was 2nd best at his position on the Bills mediocre D. I'll give this admin the benefit of the doubt but jeez - this is kinda like the Price signing last year. I can think of about 40 DEs better than Kelsay and 2 play on our team.

The most troubling thing to me is we knew the cap was going up by 25+ mil after the new TV contract - why the hell didn't we take advantage of that fact and sign our best young players to long term deals then - I'm glad we got Peters done but we left a stack of money on the table that should've been used to lock up Evans and others before all the inflated salaries kicked in starting this year

I like Kelsay but I dont like the contract, that is way too much money for a guy with 12.5 career sacks

I don't think Denney was better, but I don't think the difference between the two was monumental either. Half of Denney's season sacks came in one game because Duante Culpepper couldn't walk or manage to make a single good decision in Week 2. So I'd take his total with a grain of salt. I think Denney gives us solid play, but Kelsay has more big play potential. I think he is a better athlete and I think the ceiling is higher for him.

The contracts DEs get is just the nature of the beast. Someone was going to overpay for him, and I don't think what we threw at him was too exorbitant (if those $$ amounts were legit). I think he has a better than 50% chance of justifying this contract down the road.

Be honest did the term "High motor" ever cross your mind ?

No it does not. Both Kelsay and Schobel are noted for their speed. They are not plodding guys who get by on "effort." They are trim, sleek speed rushers. Schobel has also developed some moves with experience.

Kelsay is entering his prime. Denney has come a long way as well. He gets his long arms up and blocks passes, and might be a little better than Kelsay at this point against the run. Hargrove provides depth.

No, there is not a Bruce Smith/Reggie White/Richard Dent on the squad, but the Bills corps of defensive ends is a talented bunch, and it has nothing at all to do with "high motor."

I must be the only one, but I honestly thought Ryan Denney was better last year. He got sacks, but more importantly forced so many crucial turnovers and made crucial plays at the right time.

In fairness Denney had five of his six sacks in two games! He also had two forced fumbles and one recovery.

Kelsay had 5.5 sacks and one forced fumble and recovery.

They are the same player! Both with upside. I was a bit shocked that it was the Bills that came on strong for Kelsay, but now I'm okay with it. In reality only $13 out of the $24 mil is guaranteed. I'd like to see a better breakdown of how the contract works and what exactly he is getting per year. All the shouting might be about nothing.

To Kelsay's benefit, his contract came due in a year when every team is awash in cash.

Exactly! All salaries will increase because of the new CBA. What should we do, not sign anybody because of this? There is a ton of cap space, and Kelsay is a good player who can rush the quarterback.

It's all good.

I think the market is outrageous and Kelsay might have gotten even more out there since he was the only DE other than Kearney. I think also there weren't other alternatives and the Bills didn't want to go into the draft looking to draft for another need. Also, he has improved every year and the Bills wanted to keep someone from their own system. Make sense?

I think the market is outrageous and Kelsay might have gotten even more out there since he was the only DE other than Kearney. I think also there weren't other alternatives and the Bills didn't want to go into the draft looking to draft for another need. Also, he has improved every year and the Bills wanted to keep someone from their own system. Make sense?

I agree with this. Kelsay's numbers (88 tackles and 5.5 sacks) makes him a decent -to - above average DE based on the stats alone. That, combined with his knowledge of the system, youth, the fact that he got these numbers in rotation with Denney, and the observable steady improvement in his play all point to this being a very good signing.

Hargrove is also ours due to his RFA status. Have the Bills tendered him yet?

Should be a very interesting draft. I will be excited if both OT Levi Brown and Okoye are both there at #12.

Go Bills!

I thought Denney and Kelsay both played quite well and the weakness was amostly at DT. Our best allignment seemed to be when they'd line up Denney inside of Kelsay on the left. They did this regularly on passing downs and Denney seemed to get as much pressure (and long arms in the passing lanes) as any of the DTs.

I'm thrilled we can keep running this allignment since we don't need to shift Denney outside to DE with Kelsay still on the team.

I like Kelsay but I dont like the contract, that is way too much money for a guy with 12.5 career sacks

The salary cap is 109 M this year....about 27% more than 2 years ago...Players are going to get that kind of money....If a starter like Clements is going to get a avg of 9 to 10M a year, then a 2nd level player like a Kelsay is going to get 4-5M a year......It is just the economics of the NFL.....

A starting DE like a Dwight Freeney is going to cost you 10M a year....The bills won't be contending for the 9-10M a year contracts, especially when they got to sign Losman and Evans next year.