Levy's THIRD Bungling Mistake

Stiffler

Even if Reese kept his "trap" shut, Marv should not have even been discussing a trade.

Willis' baby momma's are now invading TSW....

If Marv wasn't exploring a trade option with an impending FA who, IMO, doesn't fit into this team's long-term plans then he would be derelict in his duties. This is what every GM in the league does every day.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to disagree. I knew McGahee was a douchebag when most everyone was still fawning over his celebrity and the attention it brought to Buffalo. But Willis is entering the key season of his career and when Willis is TRULY up against it, he has the ability to dig deep. See his rehab from the knee injury.

We were almost assured of not seeing the reccurrance of the things that keep him from being an elite power RB. Those guys are a relatively rare commodity in the NFL right now. This guy was poised for a 350 carry, 1500+ yard 15 TD season. A season that could have been a bridge for JP Losman and a young OL to go from being decent to outstanding. With this team at such a critical point in it's development, even a second round pick isn't worth what's at stake. A fourth round pick would be just plain absurd.

As a GM, if you are going to make a promise not to franchise a player, do it with a RB. RB's are less expensive and easier to replace, and keeping McGahee would allow the team to take a chance on a later round RB instead of blowing an early pick that could be used elsewhere.

No comparison to the Clements situation, RB's do not have the trade value that a shut down corner has and last years team was not going anywhere that it needed Clements in mini-camps that badly. They outright squandered at least a first round pick in the Clements situation. Even after a great year, McGahee wouldn't command franchise type compensation. See Shaun Alexander last year.

Agree, totally, about Willis.

Although, Champ Bailey was traded straight up for Clinton Portis, wasn't he?

Before the start of last season i didn't fully want willis' ass gone it has been a process, from his half ass running, dancing in the backfield, and his ignorant coments,from seeing anthony thomas come in and run with more heart than he runs with, from giving him the benefit of the doubt over his knee injury (time to heal), to the point that next year he's gone, why not make a move now? I don't think as i have stated he's a complete running back, he can catch but he's not nimble, doesn't have great vision and can't cut worth a crap,so yeah i was leaning that way last year, now i'm there.

If Marv wasn't exploring a trade option with an impending FA who, IMO, doesn't fit into this team's long-term plans then he would be derelict in his duties. This is what every GM in the league does every day.

Agreed. I think that Marv had a duty to try and get something for him. It's unfortunate how this all panned out, but I have yet to see a story where the Bill's staff did anything wrong. It's not like Marv was talking to reporters and said "We are exploring trade options.". Perhaps I missed a story somewhere though.

I wonder if any of the same people roasting Marv for trading McGahee also complain that we are getting nothing for Clements.

Although, Champ Bailey was traded straight up for Clinton Portis, wasn't he?

A very overlooked BAD trade. It was accepted because Portis was a very young superstar back, but it made no sense now or then. Now, Portis is about worn out, and the older Bailey is just rounding into his potential as a potential HOF player. Note to Bills: Maybe, just maybe, Clements is going to get BETTER. You know, like Ty Law, Chris McAllister.......heck even Antoine Winfield is better now. Durable young corners = good investment. RB's? Avoid that second long term contract like the plague.

A very overlooked BAD trade. It was accepted because Portis was a very young superstar back, but it made no sense now or then. Now, Portis is about worn out, and the older Bailey is just rounding into his potential as a potential HOF player. Note to Bills: Maybe, just maybe, Clements is going to get BETTER. You know, like Ty Law, Chris McAllister.......heck even Antoine Winfield is better now. Durable young corners = good investment. RB's? Avoid that second long term contract like the plague.

To me, Clements got a lot better last year. And you're right, probably could and will get even mo' better. He's only like 25 or so. This year I thought he cut down on the bonehead plays, cut down on the rushing up too fast and getting run past by the RB or the WR, and cut down (a little) on the trying to knock the ball loose instead of tackling and getting dragged 8 yards. I have been tough on him but he was terrific last year once they made the switch. And I think worth the money.

i think, once again, the board is blowing things out of proportion. Willis may be stupid, but the one thing he understands is that this is a business. I dont think he will be any more of a "disgruntled, locker room cancer" than he ever was going to be. and, if you actually ask the PLAYERS that work with him and not the fans on the internet, THEY LIKE WILLIS. no one has ever even hinted at him being a downer.

if he has any problems or his feelings are hurt over this "news", then Rosenhaus will be the first to tell him that this is how it works. he will understand that the team would be stupid to not at least test the waters and see what he is worth. he will get over it. and thats IF he is even upset.

and if he is still all butt-hurt about it, Marv can easily use Willis' own actions as an example of how things get unfairly blown up by the fans and the media.

no matter how willis is feeling about all this, the one thing that doesnt change for him is that he is in control of his own destiny this year with how he runs the ball. no matter where he is. whether he likes it or not, he has to produce, if for no other reason than for himself.

yeah, the old codger really effed up this time. 3 strikes. Doesn't he see the that this running back fits everything Marv likes in a back?
  • marginal speed
  • questional blitz pick up
  • when he hits the hole, his burst is unstoppable (3 baby momma's and counting??)
  • a guy who will only be motivated by a big payday

also, what makes everyone think Willis is "proven" in his 4 years? I should be excited about his potential for 07???

also, last I checked, he's still on the roster.

Marv is running this team into the ground... :wallbash:

This one goes out to all Willis' baby momma's... baby's momma's momma's... and baby's momma's momma's momma's...

Sorry Rob Johnson whooooooooo I AM FOR REEEEEAL, never meant to make you cry, just cuz you got sacked a trillion times...

*that's right rock it wit me now... ya'll remember the cut*

The decisions the front office makes this off-season will clue most fans into when exactly they want to win. While they won't come out and say everything (and I don't expect them to) about what players they're targeting in free agency or the draft, I expect to see something that demonstrates they want to win now. Letting WM go and getting a pick for him is not an improvement. We can say it's long term, but the truth is, we've been talking about next season for about 7 years now.

You can build a great team and be playoff-bound at the same time. Buffalo should be on the upswing this year. Trading WM makes me wonder if Buffalo (Marv, DJ, et al) truly want to build for another season. And if so, do they think time is on their side? Sure, WM will want a new contract after his current deal concludes, but I've got to see him with an average line in front of him. No one in their right mind can say last season's line was totally without fault.

And so, if Buffalo continues down the path of letting starters go for non-starters or draft picks, when are we looking to win?

BTW, major props to the person who started this thread. That person has major intestinal fortitude.

This one goes out to all Willis' baby momma's... baby's momma's momma's... and baby's momma's momma's momma's...

Sorry Rob Johnson whooooooooo I AM FOR REEEEEAL, never meant to make you cry, just cuz you got sacked a trillion times...

*that's right rock it wit me now... ya'll remember the cut*

the "sorry Rob Johnson"-line got a chortle out of me :wallbash:

Things haven't played out yet, ow can you say he has bungled this Willis thing?

Also, not that Willis is in the same situation at all, but remember when the Bills were trying to unload Travis Henry? Everyone was up in arms about not getting value for Henry. What no one knew at that time was that he had failed 2 drug tests. There are always things going on behind the scenes that fans can't/won't know about.

Let it play out

So let me get this right: McGahee goes out of his way to let people know he's not happy with his current situation, and that's okay. But the Bills let it be known among a group of peers who are supposed to keep their freakin' traps shut that they're not happy with his current situation, and that is considered one of three huge mistakes by Marv Levy. It's as laughable as the other two mistakes you mention.

I don't know if anyone is standing around counting all of your mistakes, but if someone decides to take up the hobby, they could start with this thread.

The Giants screwed up. Not Marv. Of course, if only Marv had more GM experience, he probably would have said something to Reese like "Oh, and this McGahee talk is between us girls, okay?" Plus, he would magically know what you apparently magically know: that McGahee will have a great 2007, that Whitner would still be available if traded down, and Clements would have gladly shown up to camp to get things started off the right foot with the new staff and management.

Geezus. I don't know why you're the only one who sees all the obvious stuff.

Thanx, Marc.......I needed a little coffee on my monitor. :wallbash:

Thank you. If I recall correctly, the draft "experts" were roasting Marv for not taking Michael Huff, who went to the Raiders. These same experts were also saying the Raiders would be a dark horse candidate for the Super Bowl. This shows exactly what these people really know, and more importantly shows the futility of trying to predict what's going to happen in the world's most complicated team sport.

the second i see someone say Marv shouldve traded down last draft, i stop reading/listening. that person is obviously too busy looking at all these arbitrary "value charts" that the draft "experts" come up with since they really have no clue when it comes down to it.

ill take a sure thing at 8 and get a 16 game starter and shore up our D-backfield for what looks like 10 more years, rather than trade down, lose that guy and end up with an extra Tim Anderson in the 3rd.

drop this criticism already. it makes you guys look trite and stupid. Marv reached (so say the "experts") and it worked out well. if anything i commend him for seeing the talent there.

This is just more proof of Marv's inexperience.

Huh?????????? What Jr. High are you attending?

Let me see... Levy's spent 50+ years in football. A Phi Beta Cappa with a Masters Degree in History, Been a GM in three professional leagues, coached 4 Super Bowls, inducted into the FB Hall of Fame. But he lacks experience?

For someone who has absolutely no clue as to what, how, why this regime does what it does, you seem to think you know a lot more than them. Like... how do you know this isn't a simple plot to get Roesnhozer to shut the fukk up? I mean, when Rozenhozer sees that no team is willing to give up more than a Walmart gift card for this jerk, and realize that his client is a career backup in the NFL.

Your assignment for this week is to publicly apologize for totally insulting, demeaning, and disrespecting a Buffalo Bills Icon.

As has been said, it's not Marv's fault that Reese (you want to talk about inexperienced GM's!) opened his stupid mouth and let the cat out of the bag. Reports are that Willis didn't study the playbook/know the plays last year because he didn't care and/or spent too much time in Miami partying-it-up. What makes anyone think THAT will change? Also remember his stupid "I thought it was 3rd down" on that 4th and 1 play in the Pats game.

Marv made the absolute right call on trying to trade McGahee. I just hope the NFL does the right thing and gives the Bills a worthwhile draft pick from the Giants for screwing things up. I doubt it though.

We are looking at the Bills losing two core young players in their mid-20's, and possibly getting NOTHING in exchange. Where does this happen in the NFL?

Look forward to us being the football equivalent of MLB's Royals and Brewers.

As soon as our young players develop, they hit FA, sign with other teams, and we bring in more young players to repeat the process and hold on to the hope that we can spin gold out of straw.

As soon as our young players develop, they hit FA, sign with other teams, and we bring in more young players to repeat the process and hold on to the hope that we can spin gold out of straw.

My fear exactly. Can someone point to a single sign during the Levy era that this is NOT happening?

100% agreed its been like this awhile.

you guys have to realize that he is also doing some house cleaning and voluntarily letting some players go because they are TD's guys.

Marv was brought in to restore a high quality/character personnel. so yes, he will be letting some guys go that are servicable on the field and will be replacing them with better talent and better people.

the problem is that this follows 5 years of TD acting like a hard-ass and letting guys walk who he shouldnt have. so yes, it looks like that trend is continuing when in actuality Marv is reversing the steady decline of this team.

it doesnt happen overnight though.

edit: also, McGahee hasnt been traded yet. this could all just be smoke blowing by front offices leading up to the draft.