Giants interested in McGahee?

While RB is certainly a concern for the Giants I (and hopefully Giants management) have to agree with "Ray" when he said look for New York to offer nothing more than a 4th pick for McGahee.

There are just too many options out there for the Giants to help fill in the void at RB with the retirement of Barber than to forfeit our #1 pick for Willis.

Such as: UFA's like Dominic Rhodes, Ahman Green, and Correl Buckhalter. If the Giants are going to surrender a #1 pick for a RB I'd rather they spend it on a guy like San Diego's M. Turner.

There are also several options in the upcoming draft. Many feel that Marshawn Lynch could go to the Giants in the 1st round.

Personally I'm looking for the Giants to sign A. Green from Green Bay as a stop gap measure and taking Lorenzo Booker (Fla St) in the 3rd round.....too many holes in our D to give away draft choices for RB's.

I think Willis is being underrated again.

I don't really like him, think running backs are generally replaceable, and don't expect him to be with us in 2008, so I am open to trading him.

But Willis is a very good back, and that has gotten masked by the events and circumstances of the last couple years.

Like the Canadian Dollar, there is an exchange rate to playing on the 2005-2006 Bills. Willis was having an outstanding 2005 despite the issues at the halfway point (790 yards, 4.3/carry, three games over 130) when MM started playing de-motivational speaker, and not getting to be in on 3rd downs in general. The 2006 season was the first half O-Line disaster followed by a run only to the left offense that definitely made things tough. Plus the broken ribs.

I'm not saying he is as elite as he thinks he is, but his 2007 contribution with a better offense in a contract year (he gets up for the Jets, he can get up for the dollars like Nate) is MUCH greater than anything we would get from a second round pick, and would be very tough to duplicate at the #20 spot. Those picks would be cheaper and contribute much more in 2008-2009-2010-2011 (when Willis will be gone and old somewhere else), so there is an upside and I would make the deal for a first rounder. But I think Willis will be very good in 2007 wherever he is playing, and I think he is being undervalued here and should not be given away lightly for "whatever we can get".

I sure love this cycle we seem to be enjoying of using high draft picks on RBs when we don't need them and then trading them for lower round draft picks while they are still producing!

Seriously, I understand the idea of getting something for him if we are going to lose him next year anyway, but I wouldn't trade him for a 3rd round pick. It's pretty obvious that when Willis is properly motivated, he is one of the better backs in the league. If anything is going to motivate him, it's a contract year. I'd say we ride him out this year. If he has a great year, then we deal with it then. Franchise him, transition him...get something BETTER for him. And in the mean time we don't lose production at a position we are already okay at. Plus, worst case scenario, he has another 1000 yd year like last year. Best case, he plays hard for a new deal and rips it up helping the offense tremendously AND increasing his value to other teams.

I think trading him right now when his value is at an all-time LOW would be a terrible move and would also force us to use resources to replace his production that should go to filling REAL needs on this team.

Travis should not have been shipped out of town to begin with.

So if we deal willis, the new RB we bring in gets his 3 yrs before he's run out of town, correct? I mean, thats how much time travis and willis were given. We've got to be consistent.

I agree 100%. And considering Edgarrin James and Shawn Alexander couldnt bring in a 2nd round pick last season, I doubt we could get one for Willis. Keep him, let him prove he deserves $$$$$. Tag him. Trade him for a 2nd rounder next year (if you can).

tag him and trade him?? haha no that just wont happen.. tag him and he would sign a 1 yr 8 mil contract or so and nobody would pay that kind of money.. you tag franchise players to keep them..

I sure love this cycle we seem to be enjoying of using high draft picks on RBs when we don't need them and then trading them for lower round draft picks while they are still producing!

Seriously, I understand the idea of getting something for him if we are going to lose him next year anyway, but I wouldn't trade him for a 3rd round pick. It's pretty obvious that when Willis is properly motivated, he is one of the better backs in the league. If anything is going to motivate him, it's a contract year. I'd say we ride him out this year. If he has a great year, then we deal with it then. Franchise him, transition him...get something BETTER for him. And in the mean time we don't lose production at a position we are already okay at. Plus, worst case scenario, he has another 1000 yd year like last year. Best case, he plays hard for a new deal and rips it up helping the offense tremendously AND increasing his value to other teams.

I think trading him right now when his value is at an all-time LOW would be a terrible move and would also force us to use resources to replace his production that should go to filling REAL needs on this team.

I agree. The only point you are missing is the player's role in all of this. Henry forced the Bills' hand -- and now Willis is saying that he will sit out if the team doesn't sign him to a long-term deal. When I first heard the reports that the Giants had approached the Bills, I was excited. Now it sounds like the Bills are shopping Willis, which is more ominous in terms of being able to get anything worthwhile in return. Whether a trade is made or not before draft day, I'd like to see the Bills bring in someone (either via the draft or free agency) to at least challenge Willis for the job -- and provide some insurance if he does hold out.

I agree 100%. And considering Edgarrin James and Shawn Alexander couldnt bring in a 2nd round pick last season, I doubt we could get one for Willis. Keep him, let him prove he deserves $$$$$. Tag him. Trade him for a 2nd rounder next year (if you can).

That really says it all, no one will give the Bills a first rounder straight up for Willis

The game is A LOT different for running backs. Bear in mind the following:

Marshall Faulk was traded to the Rams for a 2nd and a 5th. He was very young and in his prime.

Travis Henry was traded to the Titans for a 3rd. He was recently removed from a Pro Bowl.

Corey Dillon was traded to the Pats for a 2nd. Again, he was extremely productive and a top 8 back.

If the Bills fetch a first rounder for Willis after the sub-par season he just had, I would be very very impressed.

That would be something to get a first rounder for him. I would trade a second rounder for him but not anything in the third round or later. Either way, if the Bills can get the first rounder for a pretty good running back go for it.

and now Willis is saying that he will sit out if the team doesn't sign him to a long-term deal.

I may have missed it, but I haven't heard that. All I've seen is that Willis is looking for a long term deal. Doesn't mean he will hold out.

I agree. The only point you are missing is the player's role in all of this. Henry forced the Bills' hand -- and now Willis is saying that he will sit out if the team doesn't sign him to a long-term deal. When I first heard the reports that the Giants had approached the Bills, I was excited. Now it sounds like the Bills are shopping Willis, which is more ominous in terms of being able to get anything worthwhile in return. Whether a trade is made or not before draft day, I'd like to see the Bills bring in someone (either via the draft or free agency) to at least challenge Willis for the job -- and provide some insurance if he does hold out.

That's totally fair, but I don't believe for one second that Willis would hold out this year. Running backs usually get one big payday in their career (if any). The dumbest thing Willis could do would be to hold out in a contract year after putting together his least impressive season as a pro. I think that the hold out posturing is just that, posturing. Willis (more specifically Rosenhaus) havs to be at least mildly concerned that the Bills may be looking to go a new direction at RB this year. Any decrease in playing time for McGahee next year is just going to hurt his value come March 1, 2008. I think they want the deal now because they aren't sure if a better offer is going to come along. This is all just speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I wouldn't mind drafting a RB...just NOT in the first round (and probably second as well). I'd say there is a better than 50% chance that Willis will not be back here next year, and an insurance policy (like you said) wouldn't be bad. Especially a young RB who could get some time in this year.

But I stand by my claim that Willis will not hold out and that there is a good chance he will play his best football in 2007 if he enters the season without a new contract. The reason I prefer riding him this year on that hunch over trading him, is because I don't think we could get anything better than a 3rd this year and I don't think that anywhere near offsets his value or the ways it will hurt this team to have to use resources to replace his very adequate production.

So if we deal willis, the new RB we bring in gets his 3 yrs before he's run out of town, correct? I mean, thats how much time travis and willis were given. We've got to be consistent.

I can't wait that long! I heard <insert new running back name> really wants to be playing in Dallas, plus he got a speeding ticket once. There's no room on this team for someone with that kind of shoddy character.