What can you get for Willis?

The Tomcat

I don't think Willis is here next year.

I say the Giants get him for a 2nd round pick -- and their 3rd for our 4th....

Could we get say a 3rd and player for him?....that would be interesting.....

Are there any other teams out there looking for a back? What can we get from that team?

As I mentioned in another thread, why would any team give up that much for a player who hasn't proven anything (positive) yet? Look at all that someone like Travis Henry did, and what did we get for him? Everyone thinks that RBs are easy to replace via FA or the draft, and it's probably true.

I would consider us lucky to get a 4th for him.

I have a question for you, if the giants offered the Bills Plaxico Burress for Willis McGahee strait up would you do the deal.

Except, the Giants would NEVER do that. Maybe if we included our first round pick this year but that would be about it. Burress is an upper eschelon reciever in the league while Willis is an average RB.

As I mentioned in another thread, why would any team give up that much for a player who hasn't proven anything (positive) yet? Look at all that someone like Travis Henry did, and what did we get for him? Everyone thinks that RBs are easy to replace via FA or the draft, and it's probably true.

I would consider us lucky to get a 4th for him.

I would think there is still value in his worth. He still has another year and can use a number of excuses to why his numbers aren't better. I think a 4th is too low....

Are there any other teams out there looking for a back? What can we get from that team?

Well, Willis has some trade value but not a lot. On the plus side, he has a year remaining on his deal and it's below market value. He has shown no signs of being injury prone as a result of his college injury. On the negative side he hasn't been that productive, and is viewed as an average talent by many pro personnel people. Maybe a 3rd from a team in the bottom half of the draft.

Except, the Giants would NEVER do that. Maybe if we included our first round pick this year but that would be about it. Burress is an upper eschelon reciever in the league while Willis is an average RB.

Burress was the 20th receiver in terms of yagedage Willis was 24th RB in terms of yardage- willis will make $950,000 2007 - Burress-$3,200,000 2007 - Willis is 3 years younger- both have had issues.

I would think there is still value in his worth. He still has another year and can use a number of excuses to why his numbers aren't better. I think a 4th is too low....

Except that excuses don't do a whole lot for raising your perceived value. We all think we can get great value out of our players, but we're not GMs and the game doesn't work that way. Few teams would give up a first day pick for a guy who has so far proven to be an average RB, with one year left on his contract, and who is publically looking for the big bucks.

If a team is willing to part with a 2nd round pick for Willis, why not just use that pick on a RB? If I'm another GM, I'd be saying to myself, "Self, I can probably get just as much production out of my 2nd round pick with a rookie RB than I would with Willis...plus, he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper, I can pick someone without the attitude, and I wouldn't have to deal with that bastard Rosenhaus."

Maybe, MAYBE a third rounder. But probably not. An early second day pick is all Willis is worth right now.

hes proven as much as henry did when we got an early 3rd for him.

given willis' name alone(cause lord knows we're not going on onfield performance), i think we could get another early 3rd for him. maybe even a very late 2nd(but probably not). i thin we could get a 3rd.

and keep plax away from one bills drive

I am not there yet with the premise of your question as I think that there is a significant difference between what some (or even most though I do not think that is the case) fans want and what the team wants.

Do you agree that there is a difference between these two things and that this difference is rational?

I think the team cares about two things.

1. Running a profitable business

2. Winning on the field

These are in fact two different things but both are necessary things to strive for and achieve and neither in itself is sufficient to make this thing work.

Even if the Bills made huge profits but not only did not suceed (as we have not so far this century) but were not even really trying, folks at OBD from Ralph on down would lose interest in the Bills and jump ship at the first oppotunity.

On the other hand, if we won a bunch but the team bled money (difficult if not impossible today in today's NFL) the enterprise would soon end.

The Bills as an entity must be a profitable business and the team must always try to win. Fortunately the two not only can both happen at the same time, but actually win you win you are profitable so this can work.

Meanwhile, the fans are simply different. Its goals are:

1. To win

2. To be entertained.

These goals also are not mutually exclusive and in fact go well together. Winning is entertaining and if the team is winning then all sorts of transgressions and stupidities are simply ignored. However, the problem here is that the team is not winning so things that annoy people end up standing in stark relief and not overlooked and in fact get focused upon.

Some significant number of fans are not entertained by WM at all. This is fed by a media which makes its nickles from fostering controversy so they are more than happy to publicize stupid things that WM (or their target of the day) says and/or interpret anything he says in the worst possible way to foster a fight which drives up their ratings or sales so they can attract folks and sell ads.

My sense is that while the premise of trading WM makes sense to those who are not entertained by his baby momma comments, paternity suits,or musing on the business aspects of franchise play and location make sense to some fans (particularly a media looking to foster fights and some of the more vocal fans) the premise of trading him makes little sense to the Bills in terms of producing a winning team from a contractual standpoint.

The Bills are in the drivers seat regarding WM contractually. If they simply stay the course with WM and allow him to play out his contract and get FA status next year, the provide the largest possible financial incentive for him to produce next year. This is critical for a player many complain is not motivated (though I do not think this is the case but I am not a mindreader and do no know).

Its contradictory for folks to argue that on the one hand he has not produced well enough to make him worth keeping and also that by trading him one is going to get another team to give up substantial value for him. it is also contradictory to argue that a team will trade to get him because he is gone when they simply pay him a salary when they get him for free when he leaves.

Actually I agree that he has not produced consistently for us and the same thing that makes folks feel we can lose him destroys his leverage to hold out. If in fact he does produce then we can either show him the money if we want or tag him if we want so there is little risk in keeping him.

The only risk is if he does not actually produce even with his contractual motivation. Between the good prospects and production he showed in his first season and a half and sporadically throughout his time (mostly against the Jets) I think he can produce in his contract year. Therefore, i think the Bills braintrust should look at the RBs in the draft and choose a player they think can be had on the second day of the draft who they think can compete with WM this year and potentially be a good #1 eventually of if no player exists see if there is a relatively cheap FA to be had.

I see little or no evidence that any of WM's teammates or the Bills braintrust has the same concerns as those prompted from fans who are not entertained by him.

The Bills should simply stay the course with WM and push for him to be part of a winner and quite frankly most of the fan focus on this issue will go away,

If the Bills instead trade their #1 RB for this speculative draft choice it simply hurts our chances to win. It is ,much worse football in terms of what one can count to go with a speculative first day draft choice as your #1 RB than a second day choice you have confidence in as a plan B or C if your #1 who has shown he can produce a 1000 yards plus fails to produce.

Burress was the 20th receiver in terms of yagedage Willis was 24th RB in terms of yardage- willis will make $950,000 2007 - Burress-$3,200,000 2007 - Willis is 3 years younger- both have had issues.

If he didn't have a stiff trying to get him the ball, I would like to think his numbers would be a little better. Mike Furrey finished 14th. These numbers don't mean a lot. Burress also finished with 10 TD's and a 15.7 ypc, both near the top of the league. Numbers can be manipulated to make a player look how you want. I've watched Burress, and I've watched Willis and only one of them is a gamebreaker.