Smell Of Gas In Midtown Manhattan

Bill from NYC

I walked out of my apartment today in Hoboken, which is right across the Hudson River from NYC in NJ, and I asked my buddy if he smelled gas, or some kind of fuel. He said he thought it was tar. I had my train get detoured to the World Trade Center only to show up a half hour late to work. I told my boss that my train got detoured, not knowing the reports over the news yet, and he told me I was exonerated for my tardiness and then pointed up to the television screen.

Bloomberg just said there was a small gas leak in the West Village and said that that doesn't explain the pervasive gas smell in a broad area. However, NYPD has reported the air quality is ideal after checking censors, but sensitivity should not be heightened as the censors are not showing natural gas has increased.

Bloomberg: "The smell is there, they are not sure what it is, but it doesn't appear to be toxic. Manhattanites can resume a day of normalcy."

I'm not sure about Bloomie saying they don't know what the source of the odor is.

I like Howard, but he is a huge wuss.

Just heard the West Coast replay. They could smell it in the hallway and lobby. I think Artie was actually the first one who said "I'm outta here" and Robin wasn't far behind.

I don't know about you, but if I'm sitting at work and smell a thick gas odor I'm not sitting around trying to figure out what it is.

---------

Edit: To his credit, they did come back on the air (minus Artie) and practically ended up doing a full show anyway.

Further proof that people in NYC will panic over anything.

bull sh--. New Yorkers are some of the most resilient people on the planet. When the powergrid went down people went to bars, had fun and banded together- there was no looting-which would be the case in many other citys