Bobby Petrino leaving Louisville

JoeF

this actually surprised me, even though it shouldn't have since he tests the waters every off season. this probably means brohm is as good as gone too, and bush, even though he was probably going anyways. big downer for the city right after the orange bowl win, but jurich (ad) will score a good if not great coach, whether its kregthorpe(up and comer) or a bigger name.

this actually surprised me, even though it shouldn't have since he tests the waters every off season. this probably means brohm is as good as gone too, and bush, even though he was probably going anyways. big downer for the city right after the orange bowl win, but jurich (ad) will score a good if not great coach, whether its kregthorpe(up and comer) or a bigger name.

There is something to be said for owning a town and staying put...oh well...

That's up to Arthur Blank.

Damn, almost $5M a year to a former college coach who never got close to winning a national title? :pirate:

Well, success in college doesn't indicate success in the NFL. Plenty of coaches have shown that. It'll be interesting to see if Petrino can make the jump.

Damn, almost $5M a year to a former college coach who never got close to winning a national title? :pirate:

I read on another message board a guy say that Mort reported on ESPN that the coaching prospects were told by Atlanta they will have the authority to determine Vick's future.... idk i can't find a link yet so take it for what it's worth.

But, whens the last college coach to succeed in the NFL? Butch Davis, Spurrier and Saban failed pretty badly.

Also, anyone else think Kirk Ferentz is headed to Pittsburgh?

All of this rings a bit hollow, as it was less than a week ago we heard Petrino gush after beating <gasp> Wake Forest that the Louisville program has 'arrived' and is now a national power. He signed a 10-year contract with the school only a year ago.

How do you know a football coach is lying? Words are coming out of his mouth.

I'm not saying I blame this or any coach for pursuing an opportunity that will either scratch an itch or provide riches for his family, but is it too much to ask for a little honesty and integrity when the questions come up?

I read on another message board a guy say that Mort reported on ESPN that the coaching prospects were told by Atlanta they will have the authority to determine Vick's future.... idk i can't find a link yet so take it for what it's worth.

Dang. If they bench, much less trade Vick, that's a LOT of cap room wasted.

I did a google search for "jackass football" and did find a photo of T.O. but not Vick.

Speaking of "jackass football", here is an interesting scenario:

Petrino and the Falcons trade Vick to Miami for a 1st round pick, two hours before the Dolphins announce Jim Mora, Jr. as their new HC.

I can already see the national press when that happens:

"Dolphins Super Bowl XLII Bound"

Arthur Blank is more concerned with the success of Mike Vick then that of the atlanta falcons. Come hell or high water he wants to see vick succeed or die trying. Vick is being figured out in the vein of kordell stewart. Dont blitz him and just sit back and force vick to methodically move the ball down the field. Which he does not have the awareness or patience to do.

Solution hire a college coach to insert a college offense based around the abilities of Mike Vick. Petrino while a good college coach will not succeed in the pros as long as mike vick is the qb of that team, and as long as Blank owns that team Vick will drag everyone associated with that organization down with him. Go ahead blank now spend more draft picks on wr's and wonder why vick can't get it done

Wouldn't happen. No way Jim Mora, Jr. wants to be around Vick. My guess is that after the trade, Mora resigns.

That would be priceless!

Not one, but two coaches bail out on them in one off season.

Miami fans will be in complete meltdown mode.

Personally I'd rather take a guy that doesn't coach at a perennial powerhouse. Those teams are stacked with so much talent it's tough to tell how well coached they are. Once these coaches get to the NFL they struggle because they no longer have a huge talent advantage. I don't know how Petrino will do in the NFL but I'd say his chances of success are just as good as any coach who has won the national title in the past decade.

Personally I'd rather take a guy that doesn't coach at a perennial powerhouse. Those teams are stacked with so much talent it's tough to tell how well coached they are. Once these coaches get to the NFL they struggle because they no longer have a huge talent advantage. I don't know how Petrino will do in the NFL but I'd say his chances of success are just as good as any coach who has won the national title in the past decade.

Good point. One could lapse into a coma, waken 20 years from now and find pretty much the same 20 or so teams with a reasonable shot at a championship. And these teams as well as others line up a bunch of duckpins early on, to drive up their rankings.

An orangutan could probably coach these clubs to a .500 season.

Schaub is not going to sell that many number of Jerseys or Boxes.....Michael Vick will be the starting QB for the Atlanta Falcons.