Very Good Read about Greggo

plenzmd1

Oh, the story that people are upset that Buff News hasn't run on the inner workings of Greggo's mind, his early setbacks which led to career inspirations, the long detailed notebooks on assistant coaches, the way his players love playing for him, the man love for all things Buddy Ryan, the meticulous preparation. The only thing that was missing was the mention of the Melvin nickname.

i remember that story. it was pretty in depth, as far as the buffalo news goes ...

We would have been all over the drunken, pond-falling, wife arguing story like a cheap suit on this board....I smell a little white lie on Greggo's part.

The pond thing reminds me of Caddyshack--Gregg's neighbor probably said -- we've got a pool and a pond--Pond would be good for you...

Difference between Gregg and Coach Jauron--

Gregg tries to yell and embarass you into being a man.

DJ just expects you to be a man, assumes you are and treats you like one.

Under Gregg we were one of the most undisciplined teams in the league as evidenced by penalties and mental mistakes (even with the laps). This year we set the franchise record for fewest penalties...who's system works?

Williams comes off as a bigger jerk than ever to me in that article. Who, that is not an arrogant ass, makes a distinct point in a Washington Post article to show how he does not show his awards in his office. I bet you he tells everyone that he doesn't keep his awards in his office to show he's not an arrogant ass. Which makes him a bigger ass.

Have to agree with that. My heart bleeds for the poor bastard. How terrible that he was called a dumb jock and now is paying for it with million-dollar contracts.

His defense sucked this year, plain and simple. He f'd up in Buffalo and now he's f'ing up in Washington, and all I read were excuses.

Have to agree with that. My heart bleeds for the poor bastard. How terrible that he was called a dumb jock and now is paying for it with million-dollar contracts.

His defense sucked this year, plain and simple. He f'd up in Buffalo and now he's f'ing up in Washington, and all I read were excuses.

He seems to wear out his welcome after about 3 years...

the reporter emailed me back about my feedback that this story just had to be fabricated. Parts of his reponse, BTW, seems like a nice guy.

"I don't think the story was made up. Gregg would have too much to lose by doing that. He told it to me knowing very well it would be used in the paper, while a senior Redskins employee very close to Joe Gibbs sat next to me"

"The stuff on the Bills in this story was not to criticize upstate New York but to further address the No. 1 knock on this guy. That is seen as too arrogant. This was a piece on his failures in Washington"

"The funny thing is when I asked him how much the question of his arrogance comes up, he looked at me strangely and said "never."

Williams comes off as a bigger jerk than ever to me in that article. Who, that is not an arrogant ass, makes a distinct point in a Washington Post article to show how he does not show his awards in his office. I bet you he tells everyone that he doesn't keep his awards in his office to show he's not an arrogant ass. Which makes him a bigger ass.

There are also a couple other quotes which taken by themselves also could add to a perception of arrogance - which is odd considering one of the points of the article seems to be to try and show how he is misunderstood as being an arrogant ass

Williams smiled. "He's here because of me bragging on him to Coach" Gibbs, he said.

"And yet I don't know, I don't know the truth of what is said [in the ESPN piece]. I know there is a motive. I know there's an agenda."

Then he snapped back in his chair with a stoic jerk of his head.

"I give it no credence," he said.

In his office, Williams looked at a notepad on which he had neatly jotted down ideas for this interview. He shook his head.

"How about this?" he asked. "What was perceived as discipline, intensity, pettiness, structure, attitude." He spit these words out. "All of a sudden, now that's the reason why our rankings are bad. You can't go from being right to wrong. You can't. You don't go from being a good coach to not knowing anything.

Also - anyone else see the irony in this one :)

When asked why some players might seem to be turned off by Williams's approach, Bengals defensive tackle Sam Adams -- who played for Williams in Buffalo -- scoffed.

"Probably because they're soft," he said. "He's an aggressive, hard-charger. He's going to dog you as he sees fit. Some cats can't handle that."

I personally find the recollection of being physically pinned in a corner by a mob of party-goers for three hours - only being able to take "no more than about two sips" from a can of beer is hilarious - and then actually jumping up during the interview to demonstrate!

To demonstrate this, he got up from his desk at Redskins Park and thrust himself in the corner of his office between the refrigerator and a bookshelf.

:thumbsup:

BTW - I wonder what the active status is of the 'Mike Shepard - West Coast guru' file is in that collection of blue folders....

This is probably the ESPN article they're talking about in that article; it's another good read:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2672668

From all that I've read about Greeeeg, it seems pretty easy to see why the guy failed. He's stubbron and sounds full of himself. Guess that's what it takes to get a multi-million dollar coaching contract :thumbsup:

BTW - I wonder what the active status is of the 'Mike Shepard - West Coast guru' file is in that collection of blue folders....

IIRC, that same mike shepherd that did 0 with our offense currently has himself a nice little offense down in N.O. as their OC under Payton.