Denver Broncos DB Darrent Williams shot and killed.

Spanky46

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooray for the nightclub culture of professional athletes!

I'm truly sorry for his family, but how many times does this have to happen before someone thinks staying out at all hours in these places might be a bad idea? They tend not to attract people of high manners. When you're an athlete making millions, you have a target on your back for all manner of people --- women who see $$ and men who think they need to show how tough they are. It may be a party-poop, but you need to not put yourself in those situations. Which makes me all the more happy that Marv likes 'character' guys who keep out of this stuff.

Nothing good happens after 1 a.m.

I'm truly sorry for his family, but how many times does this have to happen before someone thinks staying out at all hours in these places might be a bad idea? They tend not to attract people of high manners. When you're an athlete making millions, you have a target on your back for all manner of people --- women who see $$ and men who think they need to show how tough they are. It may be a party-poop, but you need to not put yourself in those situations. Which makes me all the more happy that Marv likes 'character' guys who keep out of this stuff.

:wallbash: It was Friggin' New Years Eve..........

Wow. I'm speechless.

New Years Eve! So he shouldn't have been able to enjoy himself?

I'm saying that he should have. I have nothing wrong with the players enjoying themselves afterhours. As long as they aren't doing anything illegal. Either way, this should not have happened. RIP Darrent Williams. :wallbash:

I saw a very talented player that was developing into a damn good defensive player. :beer:

The NFL proves yet again it is the most overlooked thug league in sports.

Why? Because the media and fans are having too much fun watching watered down mediocre football while tailgating, making 100 dollar parlay bets, and deciding on who to start on one of their 10 fantasy football lineups. So let's trash the NBA because hey, I do not have Melo on my fantasy roster and I do not get blitzed at the Staples Center parking lot for a Lakers game!

RIP Darrent.

I'm saying that he should have. I have nothing wrong with the players enjoying themselves afterhours. As long as they aren't doing anything illegal. Either way, this should not have happened. RIP Darrent Williams. :wallbash:

I saw a very talented player that was developing into a damn good defensive player. :beer:

I'm not saying it should have happened, tho some here are reacting as if I did. And I'm also not saying everyone needs to be a member of the Clever family, but I think this and many other incidents like it show safety requires prudence.

This is not a kind or safe world --- violent crime is increasing again after years of dropping off (a phenomenon that I would say tracks along with world events) --- and it's sad that some of these millionaire kids take the risks they do. Showing off your money, an atmosphere of drinks/drugs/sex/etc., getting involved in club scenes, and with people who are less than savory characters.... Don't try to tell me this decreases the risks involved with having that target on your back.

It is a shame.

I'm not saying it should have happened, tho some here are reacting as if I did. And I'm also not saying everyone needs to be a member of the Clever family, but I think this and many other incidents like it show safety requires prudence.

This is not a kind or safe world --- violent crime is increasing again after years of dropping off (a phenomenon that I would say tracks along with world events) --- and it's sad that some of these millionaire kids take the risks they do. Showing off your money, an atmosphere of drinks/drugs/sex/etc., getting involved in club scenes, and with people who are less than savory characters.... Don't try to tell me this decreases the risks involved with having that target on your back.

It is a shame.

Cincinnati set a new record this year for murders - 84.

Re violent crime increase - I forget when...1996, 1997 or something like that, the Administration ordered the FBI to revise how they defined crimes of violence. The expected result was obtained; the numbers looked better. A couple of cities sued - I think Bflo. and Phila. were among them, the game being the more crime you have, the more Federal tax revenue dollars your city gets.

I'm not saying that crime isn't on the rise, only that the baseline had been jiggled.

BTW, when you see one of those "radar" trailers parked alongside a road, showing your speed - that's usually Fed $ given to municipalities to combat road crashes. It's a lot easier to park that thing somewhere that than to enforce laws.

You jackasses, the guy was killed in a drive-by shooting, and that makes him a thug?

What the hell?

Didn't say he was a thug.

Hanging out in those kind of places, you gain enemies by just sitting there. It's just the ethos when you combine all of those factors --- money, alcohol, sex, testosterone --- and things can get really stupid, really fast.

I would be surprised if it was someone who had some manner of run-in, real or imagined in this person's head, with DW. People don't usually kill people they don't know.

Didn't say he was a thug.

Donte did.

Hanging out in those kind of places, you gain enemies by just sitting there. It's just the ethos when you combine all of those factors --- money, alcohol, sex, testosterone --- and things can get really stupid, really fast.

I would be surprised if it was someone who had some manner of run-in, real or imagined in this person's head, with DW. People don't usually kill people they don't know.

Where was he hanging out at? Seems to me you are assuming several things that we have no idea about:

A.) That he was hanging out where you think he was (it was New Years Eve for Gods sake).

B.) That he had made enemies doing so.

C.) That he was killed as a result of this.

It seems as though you saw him get killed and are taking this opportunity to preach about nightclub safety and staying out late (which is also garbage, staying out past a certain time doesn't automatically make you get enemies/a bad person/etc)

Where was he hanging out at? Seems to me you are assuming several things that we have no idea about:

A.) That he was hanging out where you think he was (it was New Years Eve for Gods sake).

It seems as though you saw him get killed and are taking this opportunity to preach about nightclub safety and staying out late (which is also garbage, staying out past a certain time doesn't automatically make you get enemies/a bad person/etc)

Being in the company of a 24-year-old lady friend in a Hummer limo (if the pic was right), I'm going to assume they weren't on their way home from taking communion at St. Paul's or the Unsinkable Molly Brown museum. Just a hunch. You can get into the whole 'Well, you don't know everything!' schpiel that you've learned so well on PPP. I know enough. We'll see how that goes, sparky.

Like I said, 'enemies' can be made really easily. A guy I know was back from Iraq for one day, went to a club in Hartford and asked a guy, "Hey slick, are you done with this table?" The guy got two punches in before he got his ass kicked.... all b/c he didn't like being called 'slick.' Like I said, things get really stupid, really fast in places like this.

I'm not preaching, just telling it like it is; and I'm not saying DW was a bad person or that he was 'asking for it' in any way. He should have had a fun night and be cleaning out his locker at Invesco Field right now. It's really sad that we've cultivated a society that runs to violence as an answer for any and every perceived slight.

Donte did.

why don't we wait and see before we judge or make opinions?i highly doubt this was a random drive by shooting.there has to be alot more to the story then this.

Being in the company of a 24-year-old lady friend in a Hummer limo (if the pic was right), I'm going to assume they weren't on their way home from taking communion at St. Paul's or the Unsinkable Molly Brown museum. Just a hunch. You can get into the whole 'Well, you don't know everything!' schpiel that you've learned so well on PPP. I know enough. We'll see how that goes, sparky.

Good, you've finally admitted that everything you really know about this is stuff thats a hunch and that you are assuming.

You know what they say about assuming things...

I'm not getting into a "well, you don't know everything" schpiel. I'm getting into a "You don't know jack sh-- about what happened, and you are just assuming you do" schpiel.

You are judging what happened without knowing crap about it.

Like I said, 'enemies' can be made really easily. A guy I know was back from Iraq for one day, went to a club in Hartford and asked a guy, "Hey slick, are you done with this table?" The guy got two punches in before he got his ass kicked.... all b/c he didn't like being called 'slick.' Like I said, things get really stupid, really fast in places like this.
Here you go assuming things again.

You are assuming:

A.) He was at a club.

B.) That because of your experiences in Hartford, it is like that at every club in the US. (Its funny, downtown Austin is not much like what you describe).

C.) That things got "really stupid, really fast"

I'm not preaching. It's really sad that we've cultivated a society that runs to violence as an answer for any and every perceived slight.

Uh-huh, sure.

Instead of assuming all this crap about what happened, why don't you wait until we get the full story?

Good, you've finally admitted that everything you really know about this is stuff thats a hunch and that you are assuming.

You know what they say about assuming things...

I'm not getting into a "well, you don't know everything" schpiel. I'm getting into a "You don't know jack sh-- about what happened, and you are just assuming you do" schpiel.

You are judging what happened without knowing crap about it.

Here you go assuming things again.

You are assuming:

A.) He was at a club.

B.) That because of your experiences in Hartford, it is like that at every club in the US. (Its funny, downtown Austin is not much like what you describe).

C.) That things got "really stupid, really fast"

Uh-huh, sure.

Instead of assuming all this crap about what happened, why don't you wait until we get the full story?

Denver Post link. There I go... assuming things again.... :oops: tard.

And one person said Denver TV was reporting there was an altercation w/ WR Javon Walker in the club....

You jackasses, the guy was killed in a drive-by shooting, and that makes him a thug?

What the hell?

If it happened in the NBA, several people here would post the same "thug" comment and I bet you would not react this way.

All I'm asking for is consistency in thinking and it is not there

Face the facts: A good amount of NFL fans are blinded to the problems through the league because it is critical to hit that 4 team teaser, have 10+ beers, and celebrate a Fantasy Championship.

Without outside factors such as the ones mentioned above, the NFL would be viewed as another NBA played on cleats.

This is horrible news. Denver is about as safe a downtown community as you'll fined. The Denver post sighted an altercation at the bar, nobody knows if it's linked to the shooting or not. Some are discussing how the culture of these athletes increases the likelihood of these events happening. All I know is that being a man in today’s society means walking away. I'm not saying if he did that in this instance DW would be alive (nobody knows what happened). I'm just saying in general it's better to swallow your pried and avoid confrontation. Way too many people own guns, and way too many people can't just throw down and be done with it.

This is horrible news. Denver is about as safe a downtown community as you'll fined. The Denver post sighted an altercation at the bar, nobody knows if it's linked to the shooting or not. Some are discussing how the culture of these athletes increases the likelihood of these events happening. All I know is that being a man in today’s society means walking away. I'm not saying if he did that in this instance DW would be alive (nobody knows what happened). I'm just saying in general it's better to swallow your pried and avoid confrontation. Way too many people own guns, and way too many people can't just throw down and be done with it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Denver's got just as big a gang problem as other major cities, and depending to who you listen to it's a major hub of that problem in the SW, much as the airport is a major hub to the airlines. Maybe it was in the '60s, but it's not "safe" anymore. :oops:

NOTE that with this statement, I am NOT saying that gang activity was involved in DW'S killing.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Denver's got just as big a gang problem as other major cities, and depending to who you listen to it's a major hub of that problem in the SW, much as the airport is a major hub to the airlines. Maybe it was in the '60s, but it's not "safe" anymore. :oops:

NOTE that with this statement, I am NOT saying that gang activity was involved in DW'S killing.

I figured it was on the low end compared to most major American cities. Denver is actually worse? Very surprising.

http://www.citymayors.com/society/uscities_safest.html

Not sure how much things have changed. This study was published in 2004 ranking Denver 9th safest in violent crime among the 48 cities with a population over 250,000. It ranks 22 out of 48 for murders.

Face the facts: A good amount of NFL fans are blinded to the problems through the league because it is critical to hit that 4 team teaser, have 10+ beers, and celebrate a Fantasy Championship.

For a minute there I thought you were describing NASCAR, but then it would have to be 20+ beers. :oops:

I figured it was on the low end compared to most major American cities. Denver is actually worse? Very surprising.

Someone I know has looked at the numbers, etc. and said that Denver. in some respects, was worse than L.A.! I think it's more to do w/ drugs, esp. meth (perhaps owing to its airport hub), and less w/ murder, tho give that enough time to incubate.... Them shutting down their gang task force for a couple of years b/c of some hokey-pokey certainly didn't help.

Does anybody know if the Sabres go "clubbing"?

All I got to say is that they better have been in bed getting plenty of rest so they can play the Isles!

:oops:;)

I know a group of Hartfors Whalers got in trouble up in Buffalo in the early-to-mid 90s. It was in Jim Kelly's old bar, Network.

If it happened in the NBA, several people here would post the same "thug" comment and I bet you would not react this way.

Without outside factors such as the ones mentioned above, the NFL would be viewed as another NBA played on cleats.

When roger goddell finds it necessary to tell NFL players not to carry guns, then gimmie a call. The NBA (save about 10 players) is a thugged out bunch of immature "hood" trash.

Denver Post link. There I go... assuming things again.... :oops: tard.

And one person said Denver TV was reporting there was an altercation w/ WR Javon Walker in the club....

Hey, you finally figured out how to post a news story! Congrats! I would have expected you to offer some proof when I first called you out on it, seeing as how CNN and the other major carriers didn't have it at that point. Guess I shouldn't have expected so much.

Now maybe we can move on to admitting that just because someone goes to a nightclub, that doesn't mean they are a horrible person.

This doesn't change the fact that you didn't know jack sh-- about what happened and labeled him a "thug".