This is what we hired McNally for

Albany,n.y.

He's groomed a bunch of misfits into a solid up & coming line.

LT-Early on he saw the potential of an undrafted TE to be groomed into an OT. Now he's got a guy who may end up being a Pro Bowler for the next decade.

LG-Took a guy off the scrap heap after his release by 2 teams, moved him to his proper position and now the guy is in line to get starting G money on a new contract.

C-Took a guy who backed up more games than he started his first 4 years and has him playing the best C since a guy named James Kent Hull

RG-Has plugged in a 2nd year 4th round pick and not missed a beat.

RT-It took half a season, but he groomed a 7th round rookie to be a starting tackle and the OL improved.

In the words of Larry Felser, who says it can't be done:

Jim McNally has turned chicken scratch into chicken salad.

FYI ...McNally wanted no part of Jason Peters' transition from TE to OL. He was against it for the beginning.

LT-Early on he saw the potential of an undrafted TE to be groomed into an OT.  Now he's got a guy who may end up being a Pro Bowler for the next decade.

LG-Took a guy off the scrap heap after his release by 2 teams, moved him to his proper position and now the guy is in line to get starting G money on a new contract.

C-Took a guy who backed up more games than he started his first 4 years and has him playing the best C since a guy named James Kent Hull

RG-Has plugged in a 2nd year 4th round pick and not missed a beat.

RT-It took half a season, but he groomed a 7th round rookie to be a starting tackle and the OL improved.

In the words of Larry Felser, who says it can't be done:

Jim McNally has turned chicken scratch into chicken salad.

870416[/snapback]

But, but, but.....    :unsure:

870538[/snapback]

Before the switch our line was worse than putrid. Whoever instigated it...McNally or Jauron it is the reason for the teams recent success. While I wasn't in the thread you linked you could find similar statements from me at around the same time.

Bet we could find some flip flopping from you if anyone cared enough to look... :lol:

LT-Early on he saw the potential of an undrafted TE to be groomed into an OT.  Now he's got a guy who may end up being a Pro Bowler for the next decade.

870416[/snapback]

Let us not kid ourselves here....Peters has been on the OL for almost 2 seasons now. And so has been Gandy. It took him 20 games to figure out the right combination...

And moving Gandy to Guard was because he SUCKED at the LT position.

I am not ready to hand credit to McNally that quickly.....In fact he should be criticized for keeping Duke Preston off the field for 2 seasons.

For the past few weeks JP has actually had something called a pocket to throw from.  At times he doesn't appear to believe the time he has to throw.  There will be mistakes...missed LB blitz yesterday...but I cannot believe the change since the buy week.

870517[/snapback]

Seeing as how Miami also had the #3 defence in the league, and JP was sacked only once, I would say the Bills o-line did OK.

The only problem is I don't see the Bills bringing in a guy like Steinbach because they now feel they don't really have to. They will probably only draft some o-linmen to compete for a spot and provide depth, while focusing on stopping the run and some more weapons for JP

Seeing as how Miami also had the #3 defence in the league, and JP was sacked only once, I would say the Bills o-line did OK.

The only problem is I don't see the Bills bringing in a guy like Steinbach because they now feel they don't really have to. They will probably only draft some o-linmen to compete for a spot and provide depth, while focusing on stopping the run and some more weapons for JP

870621[/snapback]

I would not be surprised to see the Bills get a real LT in the draft and move Peters back to RT. What has helped this line tremendously is the max protection packages that are being used. The wrinkle is that the TE (Royal) sheds the block and gets open into the flat. Without the max protection, Peters would be overwhelmed.

I would not be surprised to see the Bills get a real LT in the draft and move Peters back to RT.  What has helped this line tremendously is the max protection packages that are being used.  The wrinkle is that the TE (Royal) sheds the block and gets open into the flat.  Without the max protection, Peters would be overwhelmed.

870631[/snapback]

I agree with your 2nd thought...though hopefully with a full off-season Peters will not require that help from the TE....I just don't see the Bills moving him away from LT

spot anymore....Don't fix something that aint broken....

Whatever Steven. Peters is a very hard worker and the max protects have helped the whole line, with Pennington getting the most help. Anyways, don't make this move out to be some stroke of genious, many here screamed for a move like this to be made long ago. It ain't rocket science.

I would not be surprised to see the Bills get a real LT in the draft and move Peters back to RT.  What has helped this line tremendously is the max protection packages that are being used.  The wrinkle is that the TE (Royal) sheds the block and gets open into the flat.  Without the max protection, Peters would be overwhelmed.

870631[/snapback]

Wrong. Peters was one on one with Taylor all day long. He was asked the question himself in the postgame and his reply confirmed what we saw on the field.

I also notice people ( probably cause we missed out on Mangold ) listing a dominating center on their offseason wish lists. Let me say this, while not dominating, Fowler has been our best center since Hull. There are no dominating centers in free agency OR the draft but you know what, I don't mind. After over 10 years of crap at that position, I'm content with Fowler for now. UPGRADE THE GUARD POSITIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong. Peters was one on one with Taylor all day long. He was asked the question himself in the postgame and his reply confirmed what we saw on the field.

870775[/snapback]

I thought that Peters struggled a bit yesterday. Then again, Taylor may be the best defensive end in the league this year.

870631[/snapback]

Ummm....I see everyone else has jumped on this, so I may as well pile on too. Peters is constantly manned up on the DE in protection. The only time you see royal slide over is when they are overloading the side for the run, or his pattern takes him out the left side. Peters IS a real LT. If you don't think so, ask Jason Taylor.

I also notice people ( probably cause we missed out on Mangold ) listing a dominating center on their offseason wish lists. Let me say this, while not dominating, Fowler has been our best center since Hull. There are no dominating centers in free agency OR the draft but you know what, I don't mind. After over 10 years of crap at that position, I'm content with Fowler for now. UPGRADE THE GUARD POSITIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

870797[/snapback]

In your opinion, do both guards need to be replaced? Is Preston falling short of his potential? Maybe this is why we can't run the ball consistently, although the pass protection has been solid for weeks now.