From TMQ: Bills mentioned...

Phlegm Alley

The defense I wouldn't want to face right now is the Baltimore Ravens'. As of last night the Nevermores' defense has passed Chicago's, and is allowing the fewest points in the league. They've got power personnel at every position. Linebacker Bart Scott, undrafted out of Southern Illinois in 2002, is having a terrific season. The Baltimore secondary is strong, including Samari Rolle, whom Tennessee considered washed up; the defensive ends are strong, including Trevor Pryce, whom Denver considered washed up. Rookie tackle Haloti Ngata has made Ray Lewis a hot commodity again, by tying up the middle and keeping blockers off No. 52. (Ngata is the defensive Rookie of the Year; the Bills and Raiders, which considered then passed on Ngata in the draft, might regret that decision for a long time to come.)

They may have a point about the big DT keeping the lineman off of BAL LB's, but DROY?!?!?! Give me a f'ing break. The truth of the matter is the Bills had numerous holes to fill and yes DT was one of them, I think that a taking a DT at 8 who is only going to play on rushing downs is TOO HIGH.

Who says Ngata even fit into the defensive scheme we were trying to run.

but we got a safety in the Top 10!!!

864827[/snapback]

You know, I like Donte, especially long-term... but looking back, Leonhard :bag: or (a healthy) Bowen could've started at SS every game & IMO it wouldn't have made any difference in the W-L column this year.

Is Donte getting valuable experience? Yes.

Was SS a critical position to fill going into this season? No.

Certainly Donte has the capability to develop into a starting caliber player (and a VERY good one at that). But using the #8 overall selection to nab a strong safety was not smart. As a previous poster pointed out, keeping Milloy (who was under contract and is playing great for the Falcon now) and drafting Ernie Simms or Ngata would have been much better for this defense.

Instead, we cut Milloy, who is still a productive player and was under contract at a reasonable price.

We keep Vincent (who was clearly washed out)

We cut Vincent after the season starts and pay him his ENTIRE $2.5M salary for doing nothing this year. That money could have been used to pay Milloy who is still a good player.

After all that, if the Bills were so dead set on drafting Whitner, why sign Bowen to a multiyear deal???

You know, I like Donte, especially long-term... but looking back, Leonhard  :bag: or (a healthy) Bowen could've started at SS every game & IMO it wouldn't have made any difference in the W-L column this year.

Is Donte getting valuable experience? Yes.

Was SS a critical position to fill going into this season? No.

864833[/snapback]

The Bills should have known McCargo would get injured. :w00t:

864880[/snapback]

"he missed the latter part of his junior year due to injury"

"Most importantly, McCargo will need to prove he is fully recovered from the leg injury and must prove that he can be a durable NFL defensive tackle."

" he does not protect his legs from low/cut blocks and ends up getting cut to the ground way too often"

"He is a little bit too fleshy looking on film and is knock-kneed, which is cause for concern about long-term durability in a linemen"

"he is coming out early for the draft after missing the last third of the 2005 season due to a foot injury, so he has yet to prove he can be a legitimately durable NFL defensive tackle."

"There are real concerns about his level of development, conditioning and durability."

It took about 30 seconds to find these on multiple draft sites.......

Let's not forget that McCargo was also the 3rd best defensive lineman on his TEAM. Perhaps playing next to Manny Lawson and Mario Williams had "something" to do with his college success?

"Most importantly, McCargo will need to prove he is fully recovered from the leg injury and must prove that he can be a durable NFL defensive tackle."

" he does not protect his legs from low/cut blocks and ends up getting cut to the ground way too often"

"He is a little bit too fleshy looking on film and is knock-kneed, which is cause for concern about long-term durability in a linemen"

"he is coming out early for the draft after missing the last third of the 2005 season due to a foot injury, so he has yet to prove he can be a legitimately durable NFL defensive tackle."

"There are real concerns about his level of development, conditioning and durability."

864952[/snapback]

Certainly Donte has the capability to develop into a starting caliber player (and a VERY good one at that).  But using the #8 overall selection to nab a strong safety was not smart.  As a previous poster pointed out, keeping Milloy (who was under contract and is playing great for the Falcon now) and drafting Ernie Simms or Ngata would have been much better for this defense. 

Instead, we cut Milloy, who is still a productive player and was under contract at a reasonable price. 

We keep Vincent (who was clearly washed out)

We cut Vincent after the season starts and pay him his ENTIRE $2.5M salary for doing nothing this year.  That money could have been used to pay Milloy who is still a good player.

After all that, if the Bills were so dead set on drafting Whitner, why sign Bowen to a multiyear deal???

864883[/snapback]

Except Milloy would not have fit with this defensive system. Milloy was an animal in the run game, and we usually played him up in the box in run support.

He was not good in coverage. Cover 2 safeties have to be good in coverage.

What would Marv Levy know about talent in a 21 year old football players? I mean he played almost 4 whole games before he predictably got hurt. And look at the way Mario Williams has dominated. Obviously he was carrying that line.

Except Milloy would not have fit with this defensive system. Milloy was an animal in the run game, and we usually played him up in the box in run support.

864997[/snapback]

That'd be true if we were running a Cover 2 all the time. We aren't.

Whitner has done absolutely nothing that Milloy couldn't have done.

Ngata had an ACL injury in college. So I guess he's bound to suffer another major injury soon.

Coverage is not his strength but it certainly doesn't mean he is "bad" at it. Rarely did he get burned on long plays when he was in coverage. This belief has been propagated because he is so good in run support, the assumption is made that he simply cannot cover. Baloney, IMO.

Additionally, Milloy is a HUGE presence in the locker room in terms of veteran leadership -- an asset that has been critical to the Falcons in the second half of the season. At the time he was cut, he had about 3 solid years left in the tank and instead of using the draft to fill a more valuable (and more pressing) need, we wasted a top 10 pick to backfill a position when it wasn't needed in the first place.

864997[/snapback]

:w00t:

Keep believing that. He was NFC defensive player of the week last week and has been performing at a high level. He has at least 2 (maybe 3) years left in the tank.

Milloy will be out of the NFL in a year's time.

865030[/snapback]

Ngata had an ACL injury in college. So I guess he's bound to suffer another major injury soon.

No, but he's at risk. And I don't recall anybody pissing away 2 Day 1 picks in a deep draft to trade up for him.

Milloy will be out of the NFL in a year's time.

If I was a bettin man you'd have a pretty silly lookng sig about a year from now. :w00t:

No, but he's at risk. And I don't recall anybody pissing away 2 Day 1 picks in a deep draft to trade up for him.

Everyone's at risk in the NFL. And I don't know if I'd be happy with spending an 8th overall on a guy who only plays on running downs.

If I was a bettin man you'd have a pretty silly lookng sig about a year from now.  :w00t:

You're on. In a year's time (if we even remember this), the winner can say "I told you so."

And I don't know if I'd be happy with spending an 8th overall on a guy who only plays on running downs.

Yeah this D hasn't missed a player like PhatPat at all the last two years. It definitely wouldn't be worth a #8 pick to be seeing 2nd/9 and 3rd/7 instead of 2nd/4 and 3rd/1. :w00t:

Let's not forget that McCargo was also the 3rd best defensive lineman on his TEAM.  Perhaps playing next to Manny Lawson and Mario Williams had "something" to do with his college success?

864993[/snapback]

actually he is the forth best, the other DT Tank tyler is a good one too, and may be a much better pro.

Lawyer was never involved in Moulds' bickering with management (please refresh my memory if I am wrong).

Yet nobody seems to remember the Mutiny in the locker caused by Moulds and his veteran leadership buddy Lawyer??

865211[/snapback]

Do you really think Milloy is any good? It seems to me that the Falcons defense isn't very good at all (31st against the pass and 22nd overall) despite being able to generate a fair pass rush and playing against weaker competition than the Bills. Milloy couldn't cover a sandwich last year, and while I haven't seen many Falcons games this season, after the first couple of games (in which he did OK) where one heard hosannas about how great a steal he was for Atlanta, I haven't heard a word about him since. Again, 31st overall against the pass despite having at least one very good corner in Hall.

Falcons have had so many injuries in the secondary, they had to bring Lance Schulters out of retirement. While Hall has been healthy and playing well, Jason Webster has been absolute crap, same for Chris Crocker -- ready any Atlanta publication, watch any Falcons games, they will tell you the same thing -- Milloy has been playing well.

31st overall against the pass.

865309[/snapback]

... they brought "Malloy" in to shore up their run defense anyway. That's the role he plays in that defense.

... and yes, the defense is at fault for Vick's failures. :w00t:

yeah, but think, if they didnt have all-world lawyer malloy, they might be...32nd!

Also, its probably the defense's fault too that mike vick is terrible.

865348[/snapback]