Willis Travolta-McGahee

generaLee83

Quit dancing Willis and run straight damn ahead.

I am continuing to lose faith in the player that I once thought was the future of this franchise.

I don't know what happens from week to week with him but why does his running style change so often?

When Willis accelerates *quickly* up the middle or gets to the outside he is a phenominal back. When he dances around he loses yardage, usually on 1st down which is monumental and difficult to recover from (see bills conversion rate on 3rd down)

I honestly worry that he lacks smarts and will never develop an identity as a runner (i.e. power back, cut back, juke etc.)

Now that the O-line is playing average or better than average at times why haven't the RB's come on strong?

This team needs a running identity.

I don't think anyone will argue that Willis had a good game.

However, his dancing and patience paid off in big dividends last week (and not just the 30 yard TD). With the exception of the last two games, he was running hard and forward like he was A-Train all season.

There will be weeks when you can't run and you run into guys like Jamal Williams. That's going to happen.

His "dancing" resulted in a 30 yard TD last week ... you have to take your good with the bad. You wont find too many 100% complete players like Tomlinson very often.

856282[/snapback]

Daq I don't disagree with you, I'm most concerned with his low YPC and his runs for a loss that seem to occur more often than say a nice 5-8 yard run.

I think Willis 3.7 average and 650 some yards versus TH 4.4 and 850 some yards would be a better comparison, but who's arguing? We did give up a number one draft choice and trade a guy who is at least as good. Now maybe someday WM will be better, and I do hope so...but so far WM has a lot of work to do.

This quote from today's Newspaper. I think Willis realizes he messed up yesterday and needs to hit the hole hard and fast. I thought Willis had one of his worst games as a Buffalo Bill yesterday. I don't care that he had a TD,,,that was giftwrapped.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We knew it was going to be a tough battle running the ball," said McGahee, who left the field briefly but finished the game. "We were trying to establish something early and we couldn't get it going until the second half. "They were getting to the ball pretty quick. I was seeing some [holes], but either they would close quickly or somebody from behind would come get me. I probably have to hit it faster because they were very patient, waiting for me to make my move, and I was a little too late sometimes."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061204/2044960.asp

His "dancing" resulted in a 30 yard TD last week ... you have to take your good with the bad. You wont find too many 100% complete players like Tomlinson very often.

856282[/snapback]

So I guess once a season we can expect positive results from his tippy toe running style? I loved Wills the first year he got on the field for the Bills. He made quick decisions and hit the hole hard. He'd lower his head and plow through defenders or lay them out with a nasty stiff arm. Too bad he got "healthy" and now thinks he has the same speed/moves he had in college. The only way he is going to be a really productive back in this league is to realize he's a power back. Otherwise we're going to see a lot more of what we saw yesterday.

Although the line as a whole has improved in pass blocking, we still only have one side (if that) that can runblock. Peters can, Fowler does well for his size, and sometimes Gandy depending on the opponent. Our right side is basically useless in runblocking.

No. We have other bigger issues than RB.

Please allow me to ask the question a little different. Would you like to bet that Marv has a RB very high on his list in the offseason?

I recall when the Bills drafted a RB in 1986 in the 1st rd. (16th). He was a well documented "dancer" that preferred to hesitate and take it to the outside. That didn't sit will with Marv. So, in 1988 he drafts this RB in the 2nd rd. The 2nd rd. RB was named starter by opening day and went on to be the greatest back in Bills history.

I didn't use names. You know who they are. The reason I didn't use names is for this...

Just for a moment, remove yourself as a Bills fan. You are now (just for this excercise) an NFL fan, but not just any NFL fan, a very knowledgeable and objective NFL fan... one that clearly discerns reality from all of the press clippings and hype. Now you are tasked with evaluating running backs around the league. You take a look around and, purely on your objectivity and knowledge of the game, you select what you think are the 10 best running backs in the league. This could be based on a number of factors, but, the bottom line is production. If you do this fairly and honestly, there are no Bills backs in that mix.

For any Buffalo team to be successful, they must be able to run the football... and consistently. More so than a lot of other teams, simply because of it's geographical location and the elements... and you know that because you're well aware of the wind, rain, & snow in Buffalo. It just ain't the most suitable environment to pass in, so it is imperitive that you have a top tier running game.

The current starter for the Bills has consistently regressed since his first season of playing (2nd season in NFL). The NFL average for a running back is 4.0 Y/C. The current Bills starter is below that. If any position on your team is performing below an NFL average... especially at the RB position, wouldn't you look to upgrade that position significantly?

I am trying to figure out what the Bills current RB's game is. At first I thought it was speed, but if that's his game, where is it? Then, I thought it was power, well, I've only seen that once and a while when he stiff arms a defensive back... if he gets into the secondary. Then I thought, he must be a presence in the passing game. Well, I was wrong there too. And moves... I haven't seen him demonstrate much, if any, elusiveness. Where is the upside?

As Bills fans, we've been through this before with Terry Miller, Greg Bell, Ronnie Harmon, and Antowain Smith.

Mr. Wilson is said to be disappointed with the current Bills RB. So, no doubt he's put a bug in Marv's and Jauron's ear... not that they needed it, they already know. That's why Marv will either sign a FA RB, draft a RB, or both. I don't see a RB in this draft that is a sure fire 1st rounder... and certainly not in the top ten where the Bills will likely pick. But there are RBs worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick... and that's where I believe they will pluck a RB. In the perfect world I think their best bang for the buck is Mike Hart out of Michigan (he's a definite top 10)... but he's a junior and I doubt he'll come out this draft. He's the same size as Thermal and plays all phases of the position at a high level, as Thermal did... plus he displays spunk, leadership, and fire... none of which I see from the current starting RB.

Now, I'm not saying 'get rid of the current Bills starting RB', or even mentioning him by name, so as not to offend those that think differently either way. The guy does have another season left on his contract. But beyond that if your Mr. Wilson looking at this guy's productivity and having a real 'dick' for an agent, at what price, if at all, are you willing to offer him before, during, or after 2007?