• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's spelled "definitely."

Thank you.

850591[/snapback]

My pet peeves:

I could "of" gone to the game in place of I could HAVE gone....

I "could" care less.

Oh really? Logic says that you must then care a great deal if it's possible to care less.

It should be "COULDN'T" care less.

I've seen columns where seasoned journalists and other educated professionals make this same mistake. Your not alone their.

My pet peeves:

I could "of" gone to the game in place of I could HAVE gone....

I "could" care less.

Oh really? Logic says that you must then care a great deal if it's possible to care less.

It should be "COULDN'T" care less.

I've seen columns where seasoned journalists and other educated professionals make this same mistake. Your not alone their.

850845[/snapback]

Oh yeah Mr. Knotty Panties? Well, than perhaps you're not alone after all. Another pot calling the kettel black.

Nope.  The goal is effective communication.  Correct spelling usually helps, but there are definitly times to break the rules, either for humor or to more effectively get your point across.

850762[/snapback]

No, that is where I do not follow you. How does it help communication if one uses the wrong words, or misspells them? Unless you are consciously playing it for laughs, it makes no sense to ignore the guidelines for clear writing. Unless you just don't care, which in turn is something that the objects of your communication will always notice.

No, that is where I do not follow you. How does it help communication if one uses the wrong words, or misspells them? Unless you are consciously playing it for laughs, it makes no sense to ignore the guidelines for clear writing. Unless you just don't care, which in turn is something that the objects of your communication will always notice.

850924[/snapback]

It depends. If I'm writing a treatise on statistics on PPP, then I'm going to use proper English.

If, on the other hand, I'm just gonna shoot the sh-- over here about nothing in particular, it ain't no big deal.

It depends.  If I'm writing a treatise on statistics on PPP, then I'm going to use proper English.

If, on the other hand, I'm just gonna shoot the sh-- over here about nothing in particular, it ain't no big deal.

850948[/snapback]

I can go for that; context does matter, though I am still enough of a teacher to wish that people's default settings tended toward correct spelling. That's my problem, though, and I know how to deal with it.... :censored:

Speaking of long-winded, chaotically spelled and generally overbearing treatises, where is Barry Pyrite Fake-Fat these days? I know he could not have been banned; has he abandoned us?

Some people need to check there dictionaries.

850600[/snapback]

It's "their"

Their, There, or They're?

Their is a possessive pronoun. It always describes a noun.

Note the spelling of their. It comes from the word they, so the e comes before the i.

There is an adverb meaning "that location." It is sometimes used with the verb to be as an idiom. It is spelled like here which means "this location."

They're is a contraction of they are. Note the spelling: The a from are is replaced by an apostrophe.

Examples: Their dog has fleas. (possessive of they)

I put the collar right there. (that location)

There are five prime numbers less than ten.

(with to be)

They're 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7. (contraction of they are)

http://forums.xgenstudios.com/showthread.php?t=36605

this is for all you proper people that want to use proper spellingand grammar .

851011[/snapback]

The reality is, people don't care any more. We've become as lazy as can be in all aspects of life. When something is wrong, it's easier for everyone to accept it than to take the extra few seconds it takes to fix it.

Case in point: irregardless. If you want to show people how illiterate you are, use this word. And yet you can look in the dictionary, and there is is. Why? Because we're too !@#$ing lazy to correct ourselves so we take the easy way out and just say "Hey, let's just make it a word."

The reality is, people don't care any more. We've become as lazy as can be in all aspects of life. When something is wrong, it's easier for everyone to accept it than to take the extra few seconds it takes to fix it.

Case in point: irregardless. If you want to show people how illiterate you are, use this word. And yet you can look in the dictionary, and there is is. Why? Because we're too !@#$ing lazy to correct ourselves so we take the easy way out and just say "Hey, let's just make it a word."

851076[/snapback]

Doomed.... doomed... doomed. Our entire fat, lazy, stupid society. And we try to act as though it doesn't matter.