Price quotes JP in the huddle

Dr. K

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this is not as criticism of JP - I sure as hell hope he wasn't going to checkdown w/ 15 seconds left.  This was obvious - no? :)

843403[/snapback]

I'm not sure that JP was actually talking to the guys in the huddle. There was likely an angel on one of his left shoulder telling him to “throw the ball in the end zone” and Kelly Holcomb (in a devil costume) on his right shoulder whispering seductively to “dump it off.” Brushing Holcomb off his right shoulder JP said forcefully, "I'm not going to dump it off!" and then turned to his WRs and said, "get open." Price thought the entire thought was meant for the team.

"It was an all go route where we had four verticals going up the seam," said Price. "And J.P. in the huddle before the play said, 'I'm not throwing the freaking check down this time. I've got to take a shot in the end zone so guys get open.' I was running the route and the guy covering the slot backed up and sat down and I wrapped around behind him and J.P. threw a great ball and I did a good job of getting my feet down."

842590[/snapback]

To me this shows how much the 'good soldier' JP has been this season.....forcing himself to stay in the pocket, go through the check downs, eat the sack instead of taking off(or even moving around a little).......he obviously wanted to play his more natural game but has done exactly what he was told....."stay in the pocket" This has lead to obviously extra criticism but he has maintained discipline rigorously game after game. Perhaps if Vick had rigorously adhered to the coaches words to him in the past of "stay in the pocket", he might be a more consistent passer today. Kudos to JP for taking the lumps needed to help him learn.

While this is not as criticism of JP - I sure as hell hope he wasn't going to checkdown w/ 15 seconds left.  This was obvious - no? :P

843403[/snapback]

Checkdown could have run out of bounds/been near the sideline, no?

Or, you throw it around the 3-4 yard line and hope he gets in.

It is a good thing, there was not any more time to throw a check down.

JP had a great game after some fairly lackluster performances. I really hope that this past game is a spring board for great things for the Bills and him.

Since we've been through this before with RJ, the biggest difference between the two is that JP really wants to learn and do better. Johnson had the "who cares" attitude that came through. That alone lets me keep more patient with Losman.

844300[/snapback]

Rob had enough faults w/o having to make stuff up about him. Someone who doesn't care doesn't get the stuff kicked out of him game after game and still try to play the next week. Hell, even after his arm was toast from an injury he STILL tried to make a comeback after being out of football for 2 years. That isn't the action of someone who has millions and millions of dollars, but doesn't care.

Rob had enough faults w/o having to make stuff up about him. Someone who doesn't care doesn't get the stuff kicked out of him game after game and still try to play the next week.  Hell, even after his arm was toast from an injury he STILL tried to make a comeback after being out of football for 2 years.  That isn't the action of someone who has millions and millions of dollars, but doesn't care.

844352[/snapback]

True. RJ cared about playing and winning. There are several big differences between JP and RJ that make JP better -

1. RJ got hurt constantly- like every other game. JP is far more resilient - and though maybe a bit shorter, about 15 lbs heavier.

2. RJ was athletic, but seemed totally unable to use his athleticism to even buy himself more time in the pocket. My main memories of him are him doing some spinning athletic move right into a monster DE and getting slammed to the earth and not getting up.

3. RJ didn't really care about the city of Buffalo. I think he lived in a hotel his whole time here. JP loves Buffalo, lives downtown, hangs out on Elmwood. We like to be appreciated.

Rob had enough faults w/o having to make stuff up about him. Someone who doesn't care doesn't get the stuff kicked out of him game after game and still try to play the next week.  Hell, even after his arm was toast from an injury he STILL tried to make a comeback after being out of football for 2 years.  That isn't the action of someone who has millions and millions of dollars, but doesn't care.

844352[/snapback]

I'm not saying he didn't care....I'm saying that is what came through to me. JP makes an effort in pressers to say "I didn't do this and I need to learn", and he seems like he knows he hasn't been good enough and can't wait to prove to the city and the team that all their patience will be rewarded.

RJ was nailed as a surfer dude because he didn't look to have that fire on the outside. That's all fine and good if you are Joe Montana, but when you don't get the job done, it looks like lack of passion.

Since I'm not in bed with them to hear their most inner thoughts and fears at 2 AM, I have to go with what I see, and JP has impressed me much more through the learning process of QB, and I will give him the benefit of the doubt that we're going to get this puppy rolling soon.

3.  RJ didn't really care about the city of Buffalo.  I think he lived in a hotel his whole time here.  JP loves Buffalo, lives downtown, hangs out on Elmwood.  We like to be appreciated.

844393[/snapback]

For what it is worth, his mother is from Buffalo.

I'm not saying he didn't care....I'm saying that is what came through to me. JP makes an effort in pressers to say "I didn't do this and I need to learn", and he seems like he knows he hasn't been good enough and can't wait to prove to the city and the team that all their patience will be rewarded.

RJ was nailed as a surfer dude because he didn't look to have that fire on the outside. That's all fine and good if you are Joe Montana, but when you don't get the job done, it looks like lack of passion.

Since I'm not in bed with them to hear their most inner thoughts and fears at 2 AM, I have to go with what I see, and JP has impressed me much more through the learning process of QB, and I will give him the benefit of the doubt that we're going to get this puppy rolling soon.

844446[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Let's see - you are going to "go with" your touchy-feely, factless impression of him during press conferences over the fact that week in and week out he got the crapped kicked out of him and continually came back for more - even to the point of trying to make a comeback two years after a career ending injury to his arm?

Whatever... I hope that works out for you.

Let's see - you are going to "go with" your touchy-feely, factless impression of him during press conferences over the fact that week in and week out he got the crapped kicked out of him and continually came back for more - even to the point of trying to make a comeback two years after a career ending injury to his arm?

844461[/snapback]

I totally agree with you. I never saw a guy repeatedly get the crap kicked out of him and yet get up for more.

Is this line from a Monty Python movie: "Thank you sir. May I have another?"

Some of the criticism of RJ really is over done and not based on reality.

844461[/snapback]

Factless impression? I didn't call the guy a giant pu$$y.....I said that JP can convey the point to the city that he has underachieved, that he is disappointed at the results so far, that he needs to learn more about the game, and that everyone should be patient because this team is going to explode upward at somepoint.

I don't know if Johnson was too caught up in the Flutie debate and that burned him out....but I wasn't exactly running to grab a 3 foot spear to launch into our opponents' chests after listening to him talk. You don't have to be charasmatic to be a leader if you play well......but if you don't get the job done, and you look and sound like "whatever", I am not going along for the ride any longer.

Since we've been through this before with RJ, the biggest difference between the two is that JP really wants to learn and do better. Johnson had the "who cares" attitude that came through. That alone lets me keep more patient with Losman.

844300[/snapback]

That is unfair criticism on Rob. Rob was a hard worker, son of a high school head coach. The problems with Rob was that he was asked to learn a completely new offense, the WC offense from Sheppard who himself was a rookie in that offense. Plus not having the talent up front to protect him was just a disaster in making. Plus, he got just 1 year in a complicated offense

RJ's problems were a) he'd rather take a sack than throw the ball away, even if it meant running OOB behind the LOS with the ball and b) he was too fragile, and with the number of sacks JP's taken, RJ would have been injured 4 times at least by now. I didn't so much mind the sacks since he showed he could overcome them, it's that they led to injury with him.