Quarterbacks- 2007 Draft

zow2

restricted.

I say we go for Drew Stanton. Quinn is too much a risk in my mind for a top 5 pick.

838269[/snapback]

Quinn is great but I don't think we grab a QB with a top 5 or 10 pick. I think they will take someone in the 4th-6th round range. I believe JP and Nall will still be in play here and possibly a veteran signing in the offseason. I know the Buffalo coaching staff are not going to hang their 2007 season on JP,,,,,not unless he goes crazy in these last 7 games to show he's a legitimate NFL starter. For whatever reason they must not think that much of Nall. I still think the Bills can find great value if they search for someone with football instincts and accuracy. Guys like that exist through the 1A and 1AA ranks... some don't put up the great combine numbers but you can just see it when you watch them play. Shaub was like that in college.

I've always felt you take a QB later than sooner in a draft so be looking for guys that might be available in Round 3 or later. One guy I have my eye on is Kevin Kolb. I'm a little weary because he's from a small school conference (infact it's the same conference JP came from) yet he's been a 4 year starter and he's a more accurate passer then JP was.

if i'm reading the tea leaves correctly (i.e., the comments from marv and jauron), i really am starting to think that levy and jauron are committed to losman and see improvement. the bills will go offensive line and/or TE, i think, in the first couple of rounds. they need a complimentary TE for royal (more of a blocker) in the worst way, and they need 2 first-day offensive linemen. it's pretty simple, actually. marv is a smart guy, and i think he realizes this.

the one thing that does worry me is the complete lack of development by youbouty. if he's a bust, they simply must draft a cb in the first 3 rounds. maybe they can trade down in the first and pick up an extra third, but don't count on it. the reason i say they'll desperately need a cb is that they simply don't have a good enough defensive line to cover up for mediocre cbs (a la the patriots). bill from nyc can complain about this, but if the bills end up with one shaky corner (mcgee) and equivalents of street free agents manning the 2 & 3 slots, they won't be able to stop anyone.

if i'm reading the tea leaves correctly (i.e., the comments from marv and jauron), i really am starting to think that levy and jauron are committed to losman and see improvement. the bills will go offensive line and/or TE, i think, in the first couple of rounds.  they need a complimentary TE for royal (more of a blocker) in the worst way, and they need 2 first-day offensive linemen. it's pretty simple, actually. marv is a smart guy, and i think he realizes this.

the one thing that does worry me is the complete lack of development by youbouty. if he's a bust, they simply must draft a cb in the first 3 rounds. maybe they can trade down in the first and pick up an extra third, but don't count on it. the reason i say they'll desperately need a cb is that they simply don't have a good enough defensive line to cover up for mediocre cbs (a la the patriots). bill from nyc can complain about this, but if the bills end up with one shaky corner (mcgee) and equivalents of street free agents manning the 2 & 3 slots, they won't be able to stop anyone.

838699[/snapback]

I think the read I make from Levy-Jauron is that they won't draft a QB early in the draft. They seem committed to Losman from what, we as fans, gather from the press. If Losman doesn't show any improvements this year or at the beginning of next year they'll see what they have in Nall and/or a QB taken in the later rounds.

I can see a low round pick (and am not knowledgeable to make any comments on the talents of low round college guys) to fit in if someone we like is available. I can also see signing a veteran either to replace Holcomb as the backup or to take the reins from JP if that is the direction decided after 16 games.

My hope right now is JP #1, Nall #2, late round diamond in the rough #3, and use all our high picks and free agent dollars for other aspects, specifically the O-Line.

One of the nice things I see is that we have a lot of positions covered, and get McCargo and Youboty added in (I hope to see Ashton before the year is over), so hopefully we can address our O-line most agressively, and then look for other areas that can be improved one by one.

If JP can progress and we don't have to go back to the drawing board, I think we can expect good things in year 2 of the Jauron system as the young core develops.

I like Tyler Palko from Pitt.

840176[/snapback]

Right on...I've watched some of his games . He looks like a guy who really gets it.

We could probably take him late rounds too, as he does not get a lot of press at Pitt., not a lot of supporting cast either.

Anybody else been following him?

Right on...I've watched some of his games . He looks like a guy who really gets it.

We could probably take him late rounds too, as he does not get a lot of press at Pitt., not a lot of supporting cast either.

840190[/snapback]

He really struggled as a Junior in a new system, but has clearly rebounded this year. Palko could be a very intriguing fit for us. He has a gunslingers mentality which will sometimes lead to turnovers; it will also lead to some great throws under pressure. He has less then ideal arm strength, but is accurate and smart. He worked very hard in the off-season to improve on his Junior year, and it shows. Outside his skills he's about as emotionally involved in games as any QB I've seen. He has that Farve look to him. Obviously not Farves talent, but he will complete a pass after getting hit and start yelling at the guy that hit him.

840190[/snapback]

2564 yds, 69.5%, 24TDs and 6 INTS (3 in a really bad game against S FLA) I hope that he is around in the 3rd so we can take him, but I bet his stock soars at the combine. He will be one of the steals at the draft.

He is a Pennsylvania QB, and we have had good luck with another Pennsylvania QB.

I like Tyler Palko from Pitt.

840176[/snapback]

Does he have good QB instincts?? That's all i care about. All these college QB's who are projected to be draft picks have arm strength and some combination of speed and/or accuracy and maybe even the always popular "quick release".

I think nowadays teams need to find a guy that has great pocket awareness and the ability to get the ball out under pressure. A quick decision maker. I don't see that out of JP. O-Line's around the league just aren't great anymore. The QB has to make plays when they aren't necessarily laid out on a silver platter in front of him.

First of all, Brady Quinn is nothing like JP Losman.

Second, he will be the best rookie QB (at least in the immediate) because of his experience in a pro-style offense with a great offensive coach playing against great college defenses.

Third, I probably wouldn't spend a top 5 pick on him. I just don't think he can make all the throws to be a great NFL QB and he has lapses of concentration. His deep ball is mediocre and his short ball often lacks touch. That being said, he can drop an intermediate throw into 6 inch pocket, I've seen it many times.

Fourth, the Bills would be a TERRIBLE fit for him, unless they do something about the offensive line. He was untouched last year (except against Ohio St.) and he was surgical with the football. When he is hurried, he is half the QB. I know this goes for almost all QBs, but I just don't see Quinn making plays when Melvin Fowler or Duke Preston play Ole with DTs. Plus, his one fatal flaw in this regard may be holding on to the ball too long. It hasn't been an obvious problem at ND because it is rare that he has serious pressure. But he could be Losman/RJ-esque if he constantly has pressure.

Fifth, despite everything I just said, drafting him (or any QB) in the top 5-10 might actually do this team some good. I think if Marv and Co. invested in a QB so high, that they would be forced to get him protection. If Levy thought he was getting another Kelly, you best believe he would push hard for another Wolford, Davis, Hull, Richter, Ballard line. So maybe this could be a blessing in disguise. And if we did draft a QB, I'd want it to be Quinn.

First of all, Brady Quinn is nothing like JP Losman.

Second, he will be the best rookie QB (at least in the immediate) because of his experience in a pro-style offense with a great offensive coach playing against great college defenses.

Third, I probably wouldn't spend a top 5 pick on him.  I just don't think he can make all the throws to be a great NFL QB and he has lapses of concentration.  His deep ball is mediocre and his short ball often lacks touch.  That being said, he can drop an intermediate throw into 6 inch pocket, I've seen it many times.

Fourth, the Bills would be a TERRIBLE fit for him, unless they do something about the offensive line.  He was untouched last year (except against Ohio St.) and he was surgical with the football.  When he is hurried, he is half the QB.  I know this goes for almost all QBs, but I just don't see Quinn making plays when Melvin Fowler or Duke Preston play Ole with DTs. Plus, his one fatal flaw in this regard may be holding on to the ball too long.  It hasn't been an obvious problem at ND because it is rare that he has serious pressure.  But he could be Losman/RJ-esque if he constantly has pressure.

Fifth, despite everything I just said, drafting him (or any QB) in the top 5-10 might actually do this team some good.  I think if Marv and Co. invested in a QB so high, that they would be forced to get him protection.  If Levy thought he was getting another Kelly, you best believe he would push hard for another Wolford, Davis, Hull, Richter, Ballard line.  So maybe this could be a blessing in disguise.  And if we did draft a QB, I'd want it to be Quinn.

840723[/snapback]

Brady Quinn is most likely a better QB then JP Losman yet at the same time I wouldn't take him if the Bills were in position to draft him next year. As would much rather see us build up in other areas such as O-line and a complimentary WR and/or make up for potential free agent losses (see Fletcher and/or Clements) in the early part of the draft. At the same time I'd also draft a QB in the middle to compete with JP next year. I've stated in another thread that Kevin Kolb is on my short list.

One quote about him that to me, means alot is

Kevin Kolb is an excellent quarterback. Not only can he throw the ball with tremendous accuracy, he moves well in the pocket and finds lanes to deliver the ball. You couple that with his ability to scramble and run; gosh, he's hard to defend.
It was made by former Bills QB coach Steve Kragthorpe who happened to be around during Bledsoe's best season here. He's also went onto have some pretty good success being Tulsa's head coach.