Quarterbacks- 2007 Draft

zow2

I mentioned it in another thread but does anyone else think the Bills will take a flyer on a low round QB? if so who do you like? I have not seen a bunch of these guys. I do like Luke Getsy of Akron. He shows a lot of instincts which i think is becoming more of an attribute than arm strength or foot speed (although from what I've seen, Getsy has a good arm and he can escape the pocket when necessary). The MAC conference really puts out some decent QB's. Maybe it's because they throw alot and do it in crappy weather conditions....not sure,,, but i'm sure he can be had in the middle or low rounds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUARTERBACKS - 2007 NFL Draft Rankings

1 Brady Quinn , Notre Dame , Sr

2 Drew Stanton , Michigan State , Sr

3 Brian Brohm , Louisville , Jr

4 Jordan Palmer , UTEP , Sr

5 Troy Smith , Ohio State , Sr

6 Chad Henne , Michigan , Jr

7 Jamarcus Russell , LSU , Jr

8 Sam Keller , Arizona State , Sr

9 Chris Leak , Florida , Sr

10 Kevin Kolb , Houston , Sr

11 Trent Edwards , Stanford , Sr

12 Rhett Bomar , Oklahoma , Jr

13 Kyle Wright , Miami , Jr

14 Tyler Palko , Pittsburgh , Sr

15 Erik Ainge , Tennessee , Jr

16 Lester Ricard , Tulane , Sr

17 Jeff Rowe , Nevada , Sr

18 Dennis Dixon , Oregon , Jr

19 Ben Olson , UCLA , Jr

20 Bret Meyer , Iowa State , Jr

21 Drew Tate , Iowa , Sr

22 Luke Getsy , Akron , Sr

23 Aries Nelson , Mississippi Valley State , Sr

24 Sam Hollenbach , Maryland , Sr

25 James Pinkney , East Carolina , Sr

26 Isaiah Stanback , Washington , Sr

27 Zac Taylor , Nebraska , Sr

28 Brian Johnson , Utah , Jr

29 John Stocco , Wisconsin , Sr

30 Phil Horvath , Northern Illinois , Sr

31 Reggie Ball , Georgia Tech , Sr

32 Bryan Cupito , Minnesota , Sr

33 Josh Swogger , Montana , Sr

34 Jared Zabransky , Boise State , Sr

35 John Beck , Brigham Young , Sr

36 Steven Moffett , Central Florida , Sr

37 Tim Brasic , Illinois , Sr

38 Pat Julmiste , South Florida , Sr

39 Omarr Connor , Mississippi State , Sr

40 Joseph Ayoob , California , Sr

41 Kole McKamey , New Mexico , Sr

42 Matt Gutierrez , Idaho State , Sr

43 Justin Rascati , James Madison , Sr

44 Anton Clarkson , Hofstra , Sr

45 Matt Moore , Oregon State , Sr

46 Royal Gill , New Mexico State , Sr

47 Jeff Ballard , Texas Christian , Sr

48 Steven Wichman , Idaho , Sr

49 Perry Patterson , Syracuse , Sr

50 Cullen Finnerty , Grand Valley State , Sr

I've watched LSU a couple times and Jamarcus Russel has looked pretty good. I'm no expert on spotting QB talent, but he looks as likely as any of the others I suppose. I'm a ND fan and Brady Quinn just doesn't seem to have it. I root for him every week, but I don't know if he'll make the next step to the NFL.

Quinn #1. Interesting. I thought it would be Stanton then Smith then Quinn.

This is weird. I'm sort of leaning more towards Stanton is seems than Quinn, now. I took a look at some highlights of Quinn and Stanton on youtube and I think you people may be right. Stanton seems like he plays better than Quinn.

This is weird.  I'm sort of leaning more towards Stanton is seems than Quinn, now.  I took a look at some highlights of Quinn and Stanton on youtube and I think you people may be right.  Stanton seems like he plays better than Quinn.

838045[/snapback]

I think it's safe to say everybody looks good in their own highlight reel.

i live in columbus, ohio and watch the buckeyes pretty regularly. and though im not a fan like everyone else in this stupid town, but i do root for them for the sake of the city. and being a watcher of Troy Smith the last 3 years, i think that there is something missing with his game in the sense that i dont think he will transition quite well to the NFL. i want him to do well and he looks like he should/could. hes calm, cool, accurate, mobile, has a laser arm. though he is a lil short, there is just something that makes me think he wont do well in the NFL. anyone else think or notice this?? just curious! peace

I've watched LSU a couple times and Jamarcus Russel has looked pretty good.  I'm no expert on spotting QB talent, but he looks as likely as any of the others I suppose.  I'm a ND fan and Brady Quinn just doesn't seem to have it.  I root for him every week, but I don't know if he'll make the next step to the NFL.

838031[/snapback]

I agree 100% with everything you said. I think that Quinn is a lot like Losman, he is very athletic but he just doesn't have that intangible thing that makes great qbs. Also, I really like Jamarcus Russell.

Matt Schaub would be a QB I'd like to see in Buffalo next year competing for the starting job.

838275[/snapback]

What do you think we have to give up for him? I have no clue... prolly a third and he'd be a hefty contract. we'd definately have to pay him starter money.

That said.. if he ended up on the team.. I'd be happy.

What do you think we have to give up for him? I have no clue... prolly a third and he'd be a hefty contract. we'd definately have to pay him starter money.

That said.. if he ended up on the team.. I'd be happy.

838279[/snapback]

Matt Schaub was a 4th round pick, IIRC.

I agree 100% with everything you said. I think that Quinn is a lot like Losman, he is very athletic but he just doesn't have that intangible thing that makes great qbs.  Also, I really like Jamarcus Russell.

838187[/snapback]

Did you see Notre Dame's games this year? Particularly the UCLA and Michigan St. games?

Quinn is down 4, with about a 1:40 to go. No problem, he drives right down the field in a zip, and throws a TD pass to Samardzija for a come-from-behind win. Michigan State, Notre Dame down 17+.

Quinn throws touchdown passes in the 3rd and 4th quarter, for another huge comeback win. The guy is a winner, and a player I would love to have here. He has a winning attitude, and savvy about him.

Quinn #1.  Interesting.  I thought it would be Stanton then Smith then Quinn.

This is weird.  I'm sort of leaning more towards Stanton is seems than Quinn, now.  I took a look at some highlights of Quinn and Stanton on youtube and I think you people may be right.  Stanton seems like he plays better than Quinn.

838045[/snapback]

Stay far away from any video clip website when trying to evaluate talent.

Did you see Notre Dame's games this year? Particularly the UCLA and Michigan St. games?

Quinn is down 4, with about a 1:40 to go. No problem, he drives right down the field in a zip, and throws a TD pass to Samardzija for a come-from-behind win. Michigan State, Notre Dame down 17+.

Quinn throws touchdown passes in the 3rd and 4th quarter, for another huge comeback win. The guy is a winner, and a player I would love to have here. He has a winning attitude, and savvy about him.

838366[/snapback]

The difference is that when you are down by 17+ in an NFL game, you have to be a VERY good QB for a chance to come back. That is college ball he is playing and winning.

Stay far away from any video clip website when trying to evaluate talent.

The difference is that when you are down by 17+ in an NFL game, you have to be a VERY good QB for a chance to come back. That is college ball he is playing and winning.

838370[/snapback]

Wasn't that comeback against stanton's team? Also Quinn grasped a very intricate Weis offense in two seasons. That ain't bad. OF course there is risk in any QB taken in the top 5 like Leaf and Akili Smith. Its a crapshoot, and with terrible coaching very few draft picks make it.

Wasn't that comeback against stanton's team? Also Quinn grasped a very intricate Weis offense in two seasons. That ain't bad. OF course there is risk in any QB taken in the top 5 like Leaf and Akili Smith. Its a crapshoot, and with terrible coaching very few draft picks make it.

838539[/snapback]

Well no QB in the draft this year seems to have that "Manning-factor." Just that something that seems to indicate that they will indeed make it at the next level. Peyton CLEARLY had it, and Eli defintely showed signs of having it. This year, the QB's just dont seem all that great.

Well no QB in the draft this year seems to have that "Manning-factor." Just that something that seems to indicate that they will indeed make it at the next level. Peyton CLEARLY had it, and Eli defintely showed signs of having it. This year, the QB's just dont seem all that great.

838540[/snapback]

Is the "Manning factor" what used to be known as the"Marino factor" ? This is the best argument I've seen for a playoff system in the NCAA. If they had a playoff system then NFL scouts would be able to get a real solid grasp of which QBs have the "Manning factor." For example, if Brady Quinn led the Irish to an 11-1 record while throwing for a lot of yards and TDs, and had the Irish ranked 2nd in the nation and playoff bound, and had all the experts picking them because "they're just playing so well as a team" and then proceeded to get B word slapped in the playoffs, then NFL scouts would sit back and say "See that there. He's got the Manning factor."

I've watched a lot of your top 6. Here are my general thoughts on each player.

1 Brady Quinn , Notre Dame , Sr - Obvious number 1. The only time he's made me nervous this year was his first game against GT. Since then he's turned it around, and will be a top 3 pick.

2 Drew Stanton , Michigan State , Sr - Most reports say he's smart/accurate. I've watched MSU/Stanton commit so many turnovers the last 3 years it's shocking. I'm talking horrible throws with more chance of being picked then caught. You also have to look at MSU's late season collapses. You can't pin that all on the QB, but you can't pin that all on the coach either.

3 Brian Brohm , Louisville , Jr - I rate him above Stanton, they have some similarities. I don't see Brohm having Stanton’s propensity for turnovers. After the Rutgers game I question Brohm's ability to make quick decisions and avoid the rush. He's a guy who I think could make it but it might be in his second go around, or take several years ala Drew Brees.

4 Jordan Palmer , UTEP , Sr - Extremely turnover prone. Survives from his last name. No way on earth would I even consider Carson Jr with any draft pick.

5 Troy Smith , Ohio State , Sr- Has all the tools, and out of everybody listed (beside Quinn) he would be my mid round pick. That said I do feel he will struggle transitioning to the pro game. He would be more of a long shot, upside type pick. I just really like his competitiveness and talent.

6 Chad Henne , Michigan , Jr - He looks so much like Bledsoe it's scary. Huge arm, careless with the football, slow making decisions, no pocket presence. I guarantee this Saturday he will make at least one play that will give you a flashback to the 2004 Buffalo Bills.