Man, I Wish Our Team Would Draft LINEMAN!

Alaska Darin

You know, like the Vikings.  A team we beat AND who lost AT HOME yesterday to a team we beat just one week ago.

I mean think about it:

McKinnie - First Round

Hutchinson - First Round (though signed as a Free Agent)

Birk - UDFA but a Pro Bowler

Hicks - UDFA signed from the Eagles after 4 seasons

Johnson - High second round

K Williams - High First Round

K. Udeze - First Round

P. Williams - High Profile Free Agent

D. Scott - 3rd Round

That's Four first rounders, one second rounder, and a third rounder for those of you scoring at home.  How is it that team didn't roll us by 40?

835484[/snapback]

I think the Vikes continue to struggle because they have a young, immature, cocky, QB who is too dumb to understand the pro game.. and his teammates hate him...

wait.. what?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that's the answer, either.  I'm a hell of alot more disappointed we didn't make a serious run at Hutch than anything that's happened in the last 5 years.

835521[/snapback]

So you would stick that one on Marv not Modrak? Or perhaps Wilson? It took a 'shady' offer to get Hutchinson, I wish someone in Bills land had thought that one up.

What about the 06 superbowl? Or does this not count?

How's Pittsburgh's OLine doing this season? Last season's SB was more an exception than rule.

The Vikes drafted McKinnie and refused to sign him.

Last time I checked, he's playing now.

They also had the incident on the boat, a qb who was (and is) seriously injured, another old one who seems to have hit the wall, different owners, different coaching staffs, and they lost their best player (Moss).

Nothing more than excuses. Reading the garbage around here, you'd think none of that would matter with so many top flight linemen on boths sides of the football.

If you are making the point that nothing is foolproof, you are correct.

Thanks. I was seriously needing some validation for my delicate ego.

If you are insinuating that the Bills have properly addressed this gaping, ongoing hole, you are sadly mistaken.

Thanks Bill. I wasn't sure about your position on the subject.

How's Pittsburgh's OLine doing this season?  Last season's SB was more an exception than rule.

Last time I checked, he's playing now.

Nothing more than excuses.  Reading the garbage around here, you'd think none of that would matter with so many top flight linemen on boths sides of the football.

Thanks.  I was seriously needing some validation for my delicate ego.

Thanks Bill.  I wasn't sure about your position on the subject.

835548[/snapback]

Why are you getting hostile. Was everybody merely supposed to read your post and absolutely agree come hell or high water?

The premise of your post has as many holes as the Bills OL! :blink::doh::(

How about: no single avenue guarantees TEAM success.

I guarantee if we pick nothing but OLine in the next draft we'll suck next season too.

835496[/snapback]

Deserves to be repeated. As I noted in the Colts preview:

"Indianapolis provides the counterpoint to the New England model in the “draft linemen or skill players?” debate. Since Bill Polian arrived in town in 1998, the team has used #1 picks on: QB (Manning), two RBs (Edgerrin James, Addai), a WR (Wayne), a TE (Clark), a DB (Jackson), a LB (Morris), and a DE (Freeney). Those nine drafts have added up to exactly one first-day pick on the offensive line: 1999 third-rounder Brandon Burlsworth (Arkansas), who tragically lost his life in a car accident less than two weeks after he was drafted. As in Buffalo and Carolina, Polian has filled out the roster with lower-round picks and free-agent signings on the lines. Obviously, that’s worked out better on offense than defense for Indy… but overall, well enough to earn the NFL’s best regular-season record (85-35) since 1999."

"Draft good players." :blink:

835514[/snapback]

Likewise. Stunning concept; surprised nobody's tried that. :doh:

That said... AD, you can't deny Buffalo's recent track record re: drafting linemen is a tad underwhelming, can you?

I'm not sure that's the answer, either.  I'm a hell of alot more disappointed we didn't make a serious run at Hutch than anything that's happened in the last 5 years.

835521[/snapback]

My recollection is that he wanted nothing of the Bills' organization given the mess that it was in February as proclaimed by kings of all sports media in Bristol.

New England has done the same thing and it's worked pretty good for them. I didn't say it was guarenteed( look at the Raiders too) but I stand by drafting lineman early as the best approach to building a solid team.

835526[/snapback]

Minnesota has done pretty well drafting linemen the last few years. I wouldn't get all excited by a 4-5 record in the ninth game of the season. They won 9 last year and have done fine with the philosophy. The fact is we have NO pass protection right now and it doesn't matter if we had Jim Kelly at qb OJ at running back and Andre at receiver...without an offensive line we aren't going anywhere.

I don't think the drafting of them has been underwhelming.  Their development certainly has.

835596[/snapback]

Okay, I can buy that.

Except for Erik Flowers. (Sorry, Rich.) No amount of polishing was going to make that pick look good...

Don't need any lineman in these cases if 'ole Dicky pooh would have made the right... Yet, gutsy call in one of these two situations:

The call?

A J.P. naked bootleg... Or similar reverse direction play... :(

On?

1st down right after the long return

or

When the Bills were knocking on the Colts door on the opposite side (than above) of the field.

They did try the reverse during the game... But it was on special teams... :blink::doh:

The Bills would have won the game had they let J.P. jump on his horse and ride...

IMO.

"Indianapolis provides the counterpoint to the New England model in the “draft linemen or skill players?” debate. Since Bill Polian arrived in town in 1998, the team has used #1 picks on: QB (Manning), two RBs (Edgerrin James, Addai), a WR (Wayne), a TE (Clark), a DB (Jackson), a LB (Morris), and a DE (Freeney). Those nine drafts have added up to exactly one first-day pick on the offensive line: 1999 third-rounder Brandon Burlsworth (Arkansas), who tragically lost his life in a car accident less than two weeks after he was drafted. As in Buffalo and Carolina, Polian has filled out the roster with lower-round picks and free-agent signings on the lines. Obviously, that’s worked out better on offense than defense for Indy… but overall, well enough to earn the NFL’s best regular-season record (85-35) since 1999."

Thats really a great point. But I guess the results truely boil down to Super Bowls. NE has 3, Polian 0 (with Buf, Car, Indy). This is despite Polian having some of the best talent in the league for a long period of time. Our Bills SB teams could have as many as eight (8) HOFers. Yet, we were always a Ted Washington short on D.

Who's Lineman?

Can he play right tackle?

835605[/snapback]

No, but your avatar probably could (was that the guy on the YouTube video?)!

As for AD's topic, I think it has a lot of validity simply for the reason that I plan on bringing up like a broken record: something is wrong with the Buffalo Bills' OL scouting staff. This problem has continued through 3 GM's and 4 head coaches and God knows how many offensive coordinators and OL coaches....none of the linemen we're drafted since Ruben Brown seem to have had success here or anywhere else in the NFL (Jennings is always injured in SF).

Simply drafting lots of OL isn't going to solve everything. And until the scouting staff changes and until we finally figure out what identity our offense will be (and stick with it), I'd rather see us draft "best player available" than constantly reaching for linemen. There are just too many roster holes to not do so...

Likewise. Stunning concept; surprised nobody's tried that. :blink:

That said... AD, you can't deny Buffalo's recent track record re: drafting linemen is a tad underwhelming, can you?

835586[/snapback]

Ah, but Lori.....The year before they took Manning, the Colts drafted Tarik Glenn and Adam Meadows in rounds 1 and 2. Certainly you agree that these players had a big role in the W/L record that you cite.

Glenn is still there protercting his blindside, and Meadows was there for years providing protection for Manning and holes for James.

I don't dispute the theory that there is no etched in stone way to build a winner in terms of positional drafting. I do however make the case that using top resources on both lines wrt the draft is generally a good way to go.