'08 Democratic Nomination

Chilly

Right now it does, obviously, look like Hillary is going to win the nomination. All of the poll numbers show that this is the case, and she has some pretty decent support in the party.

There is a way, though, for her to lose, and it has to come within the next couple months.

The earlier that candidates throw their name into the ring, the better the chance that they have against Hillary.

The parallel here is the 2000 Republican primary. Bush announced on March 2, 1999 that he is forming an exploratory committee to run for the Presidency. Soon after, Bush announced that he officially was going to run for the Presidency.

McCain noted via fax that he was going to run for the Presidency, but delayed his official declaration until September 27, 1999. This gave a HUGE advantage for Bush.

On June 30, 1999 Bush announced that he raised $37 million dollars. Compare this to McCain at $6.3 million and Elizabeth Dole at $3.5 million. This created both media attention for the Bush campaign, as well as made believers in his own party.

Bush was able, then, to snatch up all of the best Republican campaign talent in the US. Because of this, his strength continued in victories in the 2000 primaries.

The same thing could very well happen with Barack Obama. If he does announce soon that he is running for the Presidency, he could jump out to a huge fund-raising lead over John McCain, as well as grab up the best Democratic campaign talent. This would be enormous.

In theory, so could Vilsack and the other possible Democratic candidates. I do not, however, have as much faith in their popularity and fund-raising skills that would be needed to convince Democratic talent to jump on board with him over Hillary or Obama.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hillary is waaaaaaay too divisive a figure to ever be considered for the Presidency. Just the mention of her name illicits strong, and usually negative, responses from the wing nuts. In addition not many know that she is really disliked by the hardcore Left in this state, not only for her pro Iraq war vote but for her ability to use and abuse issues cosmetically for her political gain. Look for a Howard Dean type collapse in '08 from her.

Obama would be a natural save for one fact....he's a negro. Very articulate, somewhat moderate and a dazzling smile don't make up for the fact that there still exists states like Tennessee and other spots of unenlightenment that wouldn't vote for him even if he were running against the Mighty Macaca.

I like Feingold and would vote for him in a primary.

Hillary is waaaaaaay too divisive a figure to ever be considered for the Presidency. Just the mention of her name illicits strong, and usually negative, responses from the wing nuts. In addition not many know that she is really disliked by the hardcore Left in this state, not only for her pro Iraq war vote but for her ability to use and abuse issues cosmetically for her political gain. Look for a Howard Dean type collapse in '08 from her.

Obama would be a natural save for one fact....he's a negro. Very articulate, somewhat moderate and a dazzling smile don't make up for the fact that there still exists states like Tennessee and other spots of unenlightenment that wouldn't vote for him even if he were running against the Mighty Macaca.

831159[/snapback]

Anyone who considers Hilary Clinton or either or the remaining Bush brothers a viable candidate for 2008 should immediately be shot. We've had no one but Bushes and Clintons in the White House for 20 years. Those two families should be barred from any further elections, on the simple principle that we aren't a !@#$ing monarchy.

831159[/snapback]

Negro? What year is it where you live?

I don't see why a black person couldn't win POTUS. The whole country was hot and bothered for Colin Powell a few years ago. And how many voters would really say "Well I mostly agree with Candidate A but he's black so I'm pulling the lever for Candidate B."

Anyone who considers Hilary Clinton or either or the remaining Bush brothers a viable candidate for 2008 should immediately be shot.  We've had no one but Bushes and Clintons in the White House for 20 years.  Those two families should be barred from any further elections, on the simple principle that we aren't a !@#$ing monarchy.

831224[/snapback]

No arguement here. I am just hoping to find someone decent to vote for. I know, I know that's crazy talk, but it's true!

No arguement here.  I am just hoping to find someone decent to vote for.  I know, I know that's crazy talk, but it's true!

831232[/snapback]

Just so it's not Clinton vs. Bush. Clinton vs. X, X vs. Bush, I'll vote for X, no question. Clinton vs. Bush...I'm declaring open, armed revolution.

Negro?  What year is it where you live?

I don't see why a black person couldn't win POTUS.  The whole country was hot and bothered for Colin Powell a few years ago.  And how many voters would really say "Well I mostly agree with Candidate A but he's black so I'm pulling the lever for Candidate B."

831230[/snapback]

Clearly, you are in denial. Deep racism still exists in the South, and YES, people will vote that way because of it. Its saddening to think about, but its true.

I think Barack Obama would make a great presidential candidate, and I am hoping he decides to run.

I think Barack Obama would make a great presidential candidate, and I am hoping he decides to run.

831262[/snapback]

Ditto. I think he's got some good ideas to introduce in the primary. Just think it'll still be too soon for him to get the nod. And the Dems need to stop running senators. Could definitely see him as a VP choice.

And how many voters would really say "Well I mostly agree with Candidate A but he's black so I'm pulling the lever for Candidate B."

831230[/snapback]

You'd be surprised. Look at some of the bashers we have on here.

831159[/snapback]

I can already hear the outcry the first time somebody questions Obama. Everyone who opposes him will be labled a racist. The only thing I ever hear about him is that he speaks well and has a good personality. Has he done anything of substance in his political career? I'm not putting him down, I really don't know much about him.

I can already hear the outcry the first time somebody questions Obama.  Everyone who opposes him will be labled a racist.  The only thing I ever hear about him is that he speaks well and has a good personality.  Has he done anything of substance in his political career?  I'm not putting him down, I really don't know much about him.

831577[/snapback]

They sent him everywhere during the campaigns, and more people came out to see him than the candidates he was stumping for. His charisma and cult of personality are through the roof, and to tell you the truth, the fact that he doesn't have a long political rap sheet is a bonus, rather than a detriment.

They sent him everywhere during the campaigns, and more people came out to see him than the candidates he was stumping for.  His charisma and cult of personality are through the roof, and to tell you the truth, the fact that he doesn't have a long political rap sheet is a bonus, rather than a detriment.

831586[/snapback]

But does anyone know what he has done or plans to do? I understand he has a good personality. I have even heard the incredibly demeaning "he speaks so well for a black man" quote more than a few times.

Perhaps the lack of political history would help him, but it would also put a big target on him once the real debating starts. It would certainly make things interesting. I have to admit, I don't dislike him as much as the other Democrat possibilities, so maybe there is something to the "put a charismatic newcomer in the mix" strategy.

Obama is currently the popular choice because people don't really know where he stands of all the issues, and he hasn't yet been put through the scrutiny of the media and opposition. What more can be said about Hillary that hasn't already been said, anything from calling her a lesbian to having an affair and being involved in the murder of Vince Foster. She's faced it all and still is a frontrunner. Obama's popularity will go down once he has to take a stand on issues and people look at his lack of experience. I see him like John Edwards before 2004, someone who will get more exposure and may be a player in the future.

I'm sure there will be more. Like I've never heard anyone say this about her,

" She's a beautiful woman " or " I'd do her "

< just typing that made me ill........ >

831748[/snapback]

You obviously haven't seen /dev/null when he is drunk

Just so it's not Clinton vs. Bush.  Clinton vs. X, X vs. Bush, I'll vote for X, no question.  Clinton vs. Bush...I'm declaring open, armed revolution.

831237[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind seeing Hillary vs Condy. That'd be awesome.

CAT FIGHT! <_<

Hillary? She's the front-runner, and is until otherwise proven. This is her best chance to be President.

Obama? I actually like him, and I think he will be President someday. Just not this time around.

The wild-card here is...AL GORE. He says he's not running. I don't believe him. Considering the $150 million or so he banked when Google went public, he can finance his own campaign.

I still think Gore wants to be President, and I think he could beat Hillary, but he needs to announce his intentions, and soon. I don't think he can win as a Ross Perot-style-Crazy-Uncle-Al independent candidate (even though he has the money to run that way).

I still think Gore wants to be President, and I think he could beat Hillary, but he needs to announce his intentions, and soon.  I don't think he can win as a Ross Perot-style-Crazy-Uncle-Al independent candidate (even though he has the money to run that way).

832422[/snapback]

If Gore runs I think he'll be Hillary's top competition for the nomination, but might have a tougher time winning the general election because he'd be perceived as being more liberal than Hillary. It must be tough for him knowing that he got more votes than Bush, and if not for the Florida ballot screwups he would have been president.

You obviously haven't seen /dev/null when he is drunk

831783[/snapback]

;)

When is he not drunk. He thinks Picard could kick Kirk's ass, he's !@#$ing nuts!!! :P  :lol:

831802[/snapback]

I'm not drunk right now. I was about 12 hours ago and will be again in another 8 or so :D

And in this moment of sober clarity I have realized how right I was...

Picard pwns Kirk

And if Hillary wins the Democratic nomination in 08 the only way the Republicans can lose is if they nominate Jeb, Newt, or Maccacca

The only thing I ever hear about him is that he speaks well and has a good personality. 

831577[/snapback]

Please let me make clear that the following is NOT aimed as you! OK?

Imo, the fact that people are running around saying that a sitting US Senator "speaks well" is just as racist as tha accusations being throw about at Tennessee (wouldn't vote for a black, etc.). It is just more subtle.

I am surprised nobody is saying that he is "well dressed."

Please let me make clear that the following is NOT aimed as you! OK?

Imo, the fact that people are running around saying that a sitting US Senator "speaks well" is just as racist as tha accusations being throw about at Tennessee (wouldn't vote for a black, etc.). It is just more subtle.

I am surprised nobody is saying that he is "well dressed."

835203[/snapback]

Respectfully, I disagree. It's not racist, after all, to say that Bush speaks poorly.

Obama is well-spoken. Not "well-spoken for a black man". Well-spoken, period.

A handful of us in this country still care about issues.  Only a handful, though. 

Doesn't change the fact that he is well-spoken, though.

835358[/snapback]

Why do you post my exact responses a lot of times before I have the chance to up my post count? :blink:

So do I damnit, well over 100 words a minute.  I think you just have more free time on your hands at work. :blink:

835461[/snapback]

120 wpm. But I'm a programmer with a wicked IT setup including three monitors...so usually it's pretty easy to have TSW open on one waiting to snipe in a thread.

Now I just alt-tab back to my code...

120 wpm. 

Yeah thats what I'm at too.

But I'm a programmer with a wicked IT setup including three monitors...so usually it's pretty easy to have TSW open on one waiting to snipe in a thread.

Now I just alt-tab back to my code...

835482[/snapback]

*grin* I'm on a dual-monitor setup with filemaker open all the time on one monitor. Have another monitor next to me but thats for machines I'm working on, and 2 monitors on the other side of my desk facing the other way for when they're needed.

The problem with me though is I only work part time, and the rest of the time I'm in class, so I'm not surfing TBD. :blink: