Is this what the Bills are missing?

MrLocke

John Fox comments. It seems to me like this kind of passion has been missing in Buffalo for a long time. I love the brutally honest assessment Fox gives of his team. Does anyone agree that this kind of fire is missing in Buffalo? This is the type of reaction Jauron should have had after the Jets and Lions losses.

I just never see the passion in Dick Jauron on the sideline. The coach really sets the tone and this trickles down to the players. It is just like when the Bills loose Jauron shrugs his shoulders and says: "oh well". I want passion and honest assessment back in Buffalo. Does anyone agree?

No. Not at all. Every coach has their own style, and there isn't one kind of style that means success.

Hmmm ... Tom Landry might be a good example.

John Fox comments. It seems to me like this kind of passion has been missing in Buffalo for a long time. I love the brutally honest assessment Fox gives of his team. Does anyone agree that this kind of fire is missing in Buffalo? This is the type of reaction Jauron should have had after the Jets and Lions losses.

I just never see the passion in Dick Jauron on the sideline. The coach really sets the tone and this trickles down to the players. It is just like when the Bills loose Jauron shrugs his shoulders and says: "oh well". I want passion and honest assessment back in Buffalo. Does anyone agree?

820258[/snapback]

No. Not at all. Every coach has their own style, and there isn't one kind of style that means success.

Hmmm ... Tom Landry might be a good example.

820273[/snapback]

I agree with this....just because a coach doesn't yell & scream doesn't necessarily mean he's not fired up. Different coaches have different styles.

I just want the coach to be realistic and not try to snow the media and fans with BS - just tell it like it is. I don't care what he does behind the scenes with the players, as long as everyone's prepared to play and the players are ready to play for him.

820258[/snapback]

Absolutely. I've been saying the same thing.

820258[/snapback]

You can't get away with saying these things until you're a proven winner - like Fox.

And you can't apologize to fans for buying tickets when there is actually a chance they won't buy tickets to your upcoming games. (the panthers are sold out for the season)

Tony Dungy is about as unanimated as it gets on the sidelines and he's won in Tampa and in Indy. Same goes with Belichick.

On the flip side, tom Coughlin might be the most "heated" coach and I've heard a number of times that he's one of the worst coaches in the league.

820258[/snapback]

I agree with your thoughts. It seems to me that RW is more comfortable hiring unoffensive-walk on eggshells kind of coaches. Maybe he's a tyrant or something or a real heller to deal with in the office. It beats the crap out of me.

I've always been in favor of coaches who have a good grip on discipline. These are professional athletes they are dealing with, not Phd students. Most of these athletes have always been told what to do and how to do it, if you give them leeway they tend to wander off and get into all sorts of sh_t.

It's nice and fuzzy to hear Jauron talk about having a "family" type atmosphere for the team but I tend to think that that approach works really well if you're managing a ponderosa or something.

I agree with your thoughts.  It seems to me that RW is more comfortable hiring unoffensive-walk on eggshells kind of coaches.  Maybe he's a tyrant or something or a real heller to deal with in the office.  It beats the crap out of me.

I've always been in favor of coaches who have a good grip on discipline.  These are professional athletes they are dealing with, not Phd students.  Most of these athletes have always been told what to do and how to do it, if you give them leeway they tend to wander off and get into all sorts of sh_t.

It's nice and fuzzy to hear Jauron talk about having a "family" type atmosphere for the team but I tend to think that that approach works really well if you're managing a ponderosa or something.

820793[/snapback]

Didn't you read a previous poster in this thread that said Gregg Williams was exactly the type of "in-your-face" intense coach that Jauron isn't, and he bombed in Buffalo.

There are successes and failures with both calm and intense coaching styles, neither is the right way.

We'll, maybe you are right. There's a scream and yell guy down in Miami that is having a great season.

Saban - his screaming and yelling getting on player's nerves.

I can't understand how TSW became infested with so many morons. When the hell did this happen? The Bills doing poorly because the coach is outwardly mellow? That's just idiotic.

I don't think it's the coaching at all. What the Bills are missing are 4 solid offensive linemen (Peters being the only keeper) and 3 solid defensive linemen (Schobel being the only keeper).

Right now, the jury's still out on McCargo and Williams so they may or may not be part of the solution. The Bills would do well to go after Julius Peppers in the offseason. Overpay him if neccessary to get him here. If that most unlikely FA pickup falls through and this year's rookies show nothing the rest of the season the Bills may have to use the first round pick if a stud DT or DE is there when they pick.

As for the offensive line, the Bills will need to go after the top FA offensive linemen and also draft one or two within the first three rounds of the 2007 draft.

As for Nate's eventual departure, I think the Bills will have to go the route of picking up a cheap veteran CB. Then cross their fingers that Youboty, McGee and the veteran can hold down the fort at CB.

The offensive and defensive lines are what this team needs to concentrate on. It will probably take a couple of years to get there.

just think, fox could have come to buffalo when we hired gregg williams.. hahahaha

820492[/snapback]

Would Julius Peppers and Steve Smith have come with him? :pirate:

I'm sorry I still believe Players win games not coaches. Not to say coaching isn't important but you need to have talent to go along with it.