Marv's "high motor, high character ...

this is the problem with the simplified theory that all you need is guys who try hard and don't get into trouble off the field.

marv should have known better, the 4x AFC champion bills had plenty of ego-maniacs who got into trouble, like:

bruce smith: suspended for substance abuse

thurman thomas: alcoholic

jim kelly: perrenial whiner calling out his team mates whenever he made a mistake

daryl tally: fighting w/ magic johnson's bodyguard the night before a super bowl

leonard smith: dirtiest strong safety in the league at the time

i'm sure there are plenty others i have forgotten.

who cares if you give it 110% ever down when you don't have the talent to be in this league in the first place?

this is the problem with the simplified theory that all you need is guys who try hard and don't get into trouble off the field.

marv should have known better, the 4x AFC champion bills had plenty of ego-maniacs who got into trouble, like:

jim kelly: perrenial whiner calling out his team mates whenever he made a mistake

daryl tally: fighting w/ magic johnson's bodyguard the night before a super bowl

who cares if you give it 110% ever down when you don't have the talent to be in this league in the first place?

817007[/snapback]

Yeah--but those guys you mentioned always gave it 110%.They were tough tough competitors.

Yeah--but those guys you mentioned always gave it 110%.They were tough tough competitors.

817027[/snapback]

how about getting joey porter from the raiders? hes young at 28 and at 220 a big physical receiver buffalo could really use given its set of smallish receivers. oh yeah, he's not a "character" guy. better to have 150 lb 5'8" butterfingers "high character" guy instead. doh!

how about getting joey porter from the raiders? hes young at 28 and at 220 a big physical receiver buffalo could really use given its set of smallish receivers.  oh yeah, he's not a "character" guy. better to have 150 lb 5'8" butterfingers "high character" guy instead. doh!

817048[/snapback]

WR is the least of our problems.

Offensive Line

Defensive Line

Once we fixed those, then we worry about other stuff.

how about getting joey porter from the raiders? hes young at 28 and at 220 a big physical receiver buffalo could really use given its set of smallish receivers.  oh yeah, he's not a "character" guy. better to have 150 lb 5'8" butterfingers "high character" guy instead. doh!

817048[/snapback]

I live out here and have seeen Porter play.He is highly overrated.Huge mistake--he has not done anything in this league.

marv needs to go out and get some talent.

817038[/snapback]

Not to pick on you, but how do your expect any GM to rebuild a team in the shambles TD left it in just his first year?

Marv's approach as a HC when he joined the Bills was to take the first year to evaluate what he had, and then start rebuilding the team with Polian in year 2. I suspect he'll go about his GM responsibilities the same way.

IMO, anyone that thinks this mess can be fixed in less tha a year is employing wishful thinking.

Marv's approach as a HC when he joined the Bills was to take the first year to evaluate what he had, and then start rebuilding the team with Polian in year 2. I suspect he'll go about his GM responsibilities the same way.

Ding, ding, ding.

I think you'll see a lot of changes this offseason.

WR is the least of our problems.

Offensive Line

Defensive Line

Once we fixed those, then we worry about other stuff.

817054[/snapback]

Yeah, once we fix those, we'll say, "We're only a good WR away from being a competitive team" :doh:

It's hard to build a winning football team.

Yeah, once we fix those, we'll say, "We're only a good WR away from being a competitive team"  :doh:

It's hard to build a winning football team.

817467[/snapback]

Yes. I think Parcells said it best a couple years ago when the Cowboys had no quarterback (yes I know they still don't have one) and when a member of the media asked him a question like - So Bill, this teams needs a quarterback, do you have plans to bring somebody in? Parcell's reply was something like - Well it sure would be easy if we could dial 1- 800 - quarterback and get one, but it doesn't work that way.

Yes the Bills need some players and it won't happen this year. Hard to understand why so many people on this board are so surprised and disappointed with the Bills this year. They're playing about how the roster looks. Young, inexperienced and in some cases not very good.

I for one will not get worked up about wins and losses for the rest of the year, but will watch the young guys closely and look for improvement along the way.

Not to pick on you, but how do your expect any GM to rebuild a team in the shambles TD left it in just his first year? 

Marv's approach as a HC when he joined the Bills was to take the first year to evaluate what he had, and then start rebuilding the team with Polian in year 2.  I suspect he'll go about his GM responsibilities the same way. 

IMO, anyone that thinks this mess can be fixed in less tha a year is employing wishful thinking.

817058[/snapback]

THANK YOU!

I'm sorry, but reasonable thoughts are not allowed. The Bills aren't good this year, so it is apparent that everything that happened at OBD this offseason is a complete failure. Adjust your opinion accordingly.

Marv's approach as a HC when he joined the Bills was to take the first year to evaluate what he had, and then start rebuilding the team with Polian in year 2.  I suspect he'll go about his GM responsibilities the same way. 

817058[/snapback]

Who says by character guys Marv is looking for guys who don't have personal problems? Marv "character guys" he is looking at are guys that go out and give 110% on the field and want to play all the time at a high level, and not play only when they want to (like many of the cuts)

Couple that with the fact that he is looking for young players right now (in the first year of rebuilding) that have potential and upside to be good players in the future, this way they will be successful for more then just one year before they are looking for replacements.

Its also alot easier to have a successful team when your players aren't spending their Sundays (or practice times) in a jail cell, courthouse, or rehab centre. I have no problem with Marv passing on lockerroom cancers and building a team of character guys who people can be proud of, instead of guys that are going to spend their time here keeping the Buffalo police department busy.

marv should have known better

817007[/snapback]

:doh:

Marv didn't build this team. Marv inherited the team and ran their draft this past April.

Marv Levy hasn't even had a full year to do whatever he's planning to do. I really don't see how anyone can blame him for things.

817007[/snapback]

ugh. why??