A new Buffalo?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you didn't have the skills to get a job up here...and please...when things change...stay where you are....because remember....the weather is so much better there..... :lol: ......and plus we don't want quitters coming back!

I have to agree with Ramius on this one. 20+ years ago one could not find a entry level job (manufacturing engineering) to save your life in WNY. I had more offers than one could shake a stick at from down south. Moved to Texas to work for TI at the same pay that my father was making at the same time!! Progression took me to NC and OH, both with great offers and opportunities. I have not heard / seen one major or mid-major manufacturing company move or expand into WNY. Where IN recently landed the new Honda mfg facility.

Wasn't it some time ago that someone in the Dallas area (GBID?) was trying to expand his business and wanted to do so in WNY because that's where he grew up and the WNY and NYS authorities practically barfed all over themselves and where MN business authorities provided all kinds of start up assistance and set up all kinds of contacts? One would think that with today's economy that WNY / NYS business authorities would bend over backward for a "native". And how long does one need to plan and build a new bridge? Good grief - that's the poster child for ineptitude right there.

Like I tell people, you can take the man out of Buffalo, but you can't take the Buffalo out of the man. It's also the place where time left behind.

Gee, a little grouchy today aren't we? I guess I'd be grouchy too it was the first week in April and my 10 day forecast looked like this.

Be quiet....I hope your house dry rots in the heat

nah...thats cruel...I hope it just crushes your alter ego

Well I know I rather be buried by my home here than by a ton of snow there. At least here I know I could start anew but there I'd get dug out just in time to repeat the whole process again and again and again.....

Wasn't it some time ago that someone in the Dallas area (GBID?) was trying to expand his business and wanted to do so in WNY because that's where he grew up and the WNY and NYS authorities practically barfed all over themselves and where MN business authorities provided all kinds of start up assistance and set up all kinds of contacts? One would think that with today's economy that WNY / NYS business authorities would bend over backward for a "native". And how long does one need to plan and build a new bridge? Good grief - that's the poster child for ineptitude right there.

Sounds about right.

CJ can poke fun at the weather all he wants, but the real problem in the community is its inability to lure new business. Evey politico in the system will try to get their piece of the pie until there isn't any pie left, and the potential employer says 'Fck thi' and opts to do business somewhere else.

It's reminiscent of the Simpsons episode where Hollywood came to Springfield to film and they were getting fleeced by the townspeople at every opportunity.

Well I know I rather be buried by my home here than by a ton of snow there. At least here I know I could start anew but there I'd get dug out just in time to repeat the whole process again and again and again.....

Some of you guys really need to man up and quit whining about the weather. Ooooh it snows in Buffalo, can't live there, too cold for me. Bunch of wussies!!! Is it inconvenient? Yes sometimes. Is it unbearable? absolutely not. Besides the snow is nice break from mowing the lawn and having to dig up half the yard for my wife's 20 freakin gardens. If it's so nice everywhere else maybe some of you out of towners can plant some seeds and grow a set.....

Some of you guys really need to man up and quit whining about the weather. Ooooh it snows in Buffalo, can't live there, too cold for me. Bunch of wussies!!! Is it inconvenient? Yes sometimes. Is it unbearable? absolutely not. Besides the snow is nice break from mowing the lawn and having to dig up half the yard for my wife's 20 freakin gardens. If it's so nice everywhere else maybe some of you out of towners can plant some seeds and grow a set.....

Exactly!

People really do not want to work... They all claim they have a work ethic... Ever see how lazy people get in the winter. Amazing!

I'd shovel my property 24/7/365 rather than mow a lawn!

The weather gets over played here anyways. I do alot of business with people from NYC. Just 5 minutes ago the gentleman I was talking to that was in NYC said "how is the weather, you guys are still buried under 3 fett of snow arent you". I informed him that Im going golfing sunday & he started laughing, saying "I thought it did not stop snowing there until the middle of May". People are just ignorant when it comes to Buffalo's weather. It is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Yeah I'm a kitty. That's why I travel to WNY once a year.......in January. :P

40-story office-hotel structure also would be most expensive

At 600 feet tall, the $361 million, ultra-contemporary glass and steel office, hotel and condo tower would eclipse the HSBC Center in height by 33 feet and would rank among the tallest buildings between New York City and Chicago.

New Buffalo

New Buffalo 2

New Buffalo 3

Go Buffalo!

"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England. "

The weather gets over played here anyways. I do alot of business with people from NYC. Just 5 minutes ago the gentleman I was talking to that was in NYC said "how is the weather, you guys are still buried under 3 fett of snow arent you". I informed him that Im going golfing sunday & he started laughing, saying "I thought it did not stop snowing there until the middle of May". People are just ignorant when it comes to Buffalo's weather. It is not as bad as people make it out to be.

This i can agree with whole heartedly. People form around the country have no clue what Buffalo weather is like. People down here think the same thing, that its 20 degrees and snow from september until june. They cannot comprehend the difference between, "Yes, it can and sometimes snows in april" and "It snows through the month of april"

I love the Buffalo summers tho. 80 degrees, not too much humidity compared to down here. June-September down here is absolutely miserable.

This i can agree with whole heartedly. People form around the country have no clue what Buffalo weather is like. People down here think the same thing, that its 20 degrees and snow from september until june. They cannot comprehend the difference between, "Yes, it can and sometimes snows in april" and "It snows through the month of april"

I love the Buffalo summers tho. 80 degrees, not too much humidity compared to down here. June-September down here is absolutely miserable.

I dunno. Spring up there is horrible. It's not that it can snow in April. It's that it's cold and wet until mid-May. Philly isn't that far away and the Forsythia are blooming and it's in the mid 50's almost every day. I know Buffalo can have weather like that too, it's just that it ALWAYS does that here this time of year. Spring really does start March 1 and By April 1 winter is gone entirely and it won't come back. The lake makes B-Lo great in the summer and fall but spring absolutley refuses to come and it makes it feel like winter is longer than it really is.

I dunno. Spring up there is horrible. It's not that it can snow in April. It's that it's cold and wet until mid-May. Philly isn't that far away and the Forsythia are blooming and it's in the mid 50's almost every day. I know Buffalo can have weather like that too, it's just that it ALWAYS does that here this time of year. Spring really does start March 1 and By April 1 winter is gone entirely and it won't come back. The lake makes B-Lo great in the summer and fall but spring absolutley refuses to come and it makes it feel like winter is longer than it really is.

I will agree with that. Spring is hit or miss here, where in NYC or Philly temps will be around 50 at least from mid march on. Yesterday was sunny, 62 degrees here, today cloudy & rainy mid 40s. This weekend is supposed to be nice with temps hitting around 60 & sunny. You never know what to expect until mid to late april here. Then your usually out of the woods as far as the real cold temps & the snow.

I love the Buffalo summers tho. 80 degrees, not too much humidity

;) You're kidding right? And when I do visit in the summer I come back one big mosquito bite. I do agree however that a beautiful summer day there is fantastic because you're not sure how many you're going to get; spring is wonderful because the snow if finally gone; and the fall is outstanding because you have to take in the last bit of temps above zero. :P

Seriously I do agree that the summers, spring and fall can be great.

I like the weather cause it gives me an excuse to trucks or Jeeps that have bigger tires and lifts and drive them year round "because the roads can get bad in the winter" without getting the third degree from some hippie because I don't drive a hybrid or a "smart car".

I also like the snow, I just hate the bitter cold

Why...... you can just hire your illegal migrant Mexican workforce to shovel you out