OT: Stern moving to Sirius Satellite EXCLUSIVELY

John Adams

Howard Stern just announced that in 2006 (his contract with Viacom expires at the end of 2005), he will move his ENTIRE show to Sirius, and will no longer be on regular radio. He had to hold his announcement because he will get stock options in Sirius.

The way the deal works is that he gets to program 3 entire Sirius channels, and have his own show on one of them.

I have Sirius and love it. I could care less about HStern. I love the football package though. It's a great network and worth the 12 bucks I pay a month. I don't know if anyone knows the Lex and Terry show from Jacksoville Fl. but their radio show kicks ass. Wish they would get on Sirius.

I have Sirius and love it. I could care less about HStern. I love the football package though. It's a great network and worth the 12 bucks I pay a month. I don't know if anyone knows the Lex and Terry show from Jacksoville Fl. but their radio show kicks ass. Wish they would get on Sirius.

58807[/snapback]

I also have Sirius. Hate him or love him, he brings a lot of juice to Sirius, and that he's the first big name to go exclusively to Satellite is an even bigger deal.

I don't live near Jax, but I think their football coverage on the radio is the best in the country (besides NYC). I've listened to several Jax games (inicluding listening to their coverage of the Bills game).

I also have Sirius. Hate him or love him, he brings a lot of juice to Sirius, and that he's the first big name to go exclusively to Satellite is an even bigger deal.

I don't live near Jax, but I think their football coverage on the radio is the best in the country (besides NYC).  I've listened to several Jax games (inicluding listening to their coverage of the Bills game).

58830[/snapback]

Lex and Terry are a morning show like a Howard Stern type show. They are freaking hilarious. The football coverage I listen to on Sirius is with the Buffalo radio announcers. They aren't bad. Alex Van Pelt is a little dry but I like the way he breaks down the plays and explains them so that normal people can understand.

Sorry, but i used to not ever listen to Stern. Thought he just talked to hear himself.

But, for the past 4 months, I have listened, and every morning i find myself hoping no one on I95 thinks Im weird for laughing so hard on the way to work.

Oh, and picking up Sirius stock would have been a pretty good idea yesterday.

Holy stevestojan. I thought you were lying about this because it seemed odd to make this announcement before his current contract is up, but I checked the Sirius website and sure enough. I guess I know what I'll be getting for Christmas in 2005.

Nothing like a 20% stock pop on that news :w00t:

58913[/snapback]

just had to do it.. I bought in at $3.72 today. Hold on!

(nah, just some fun money, nothing big, but i figured if anyone can make them jump, it would be howard) Good thing i didnt get to work early, it was at $4.20

just had to do it.. I bought in at $3.72 today.  Hold on!

(nah, just some fun money, nothing big, but i figured if anyone can make them jump, it would be howard) Good thing i didnt get to work early, it was at $4.20

58940[/snapback]

Hold on to it. It'll pop again when his show actually goes on the air.

Sorry, but i used to not ever listen to Stern. Thought he just talked to hear himself.

But, for the past 4 months, I have listened, and every morning i find myself hoping no one on I95 thinks Im weird for laughing so hard on the way to work.

Oh, and picking up Sirius stock would have been a pretty good idea yesterday.

58868[/snapback]

Back in August I bought Sirius just because I heard you guys talking about how much you liked it. Jack has been waving the banner for a few months. The NFL package seems to have been a nice boost to the stock, and this will do even better.

What's the status of the technology regarding satellite radio, will there be walkman size receivers in the next year or so?  From what I've seen you have to use a boombox size receiver when it's not in the car.

59100[/snapback]

The boombox is only an option for the Audiovox PNP2 unit. If you have a home stereo, you can get a home docking unit that'll plug into your RCA jacks on the stereo.

I don't normally listen to Stern, but it's interesting that today of all days I had someone else drive to this location we were working at today, and they had Stern on. We started listening right before he made his announcement.

Does this mean he will also be off of my favorite station 92.9 WBUF weekday mornings? I hate listening to him at work and usually switch channels or bring in cds.

59904[/snapback]

Yes, starting in 2006 he will be only on Sirius, no longer on terrestial radio.

Yes, starting in 2006 he will be only on Sirius, no longer on terrestial radio.

60043[/snapback]

Probably a stupid question here, but how do you get Sirius in your car? Do you need to pay twice if you want home and car?

Probably a stupid question here, but how do you get Sirius in your car?  Do you need to pay twice if you want home and car?

60049[/snapback]

nope. You just take the receiver with you from your car to your home. You have a setup in the car (be it installed or plugged into your lighter). You have a boom box at home. Both have a slot for the one receiver.

nope. You just take the receiver with you from your car to your home. You have a setup in the car (be it installed or plugged into your lighter). You have a boom box at home. Both have a slot for the one receiver.

60051[/snapback]

Thanks. Interesting chart on the stock here....

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SIRI&t=5d

Notice how the opening price each day is a little higher from the closing the day before, all week leading up to the announcement (and the big pop on Friday).

That's what happens when lawyers and accountants who are working on the deal, the filings and the press release start calling friends and family in the days leading up to an annoucement. Happens all the time. Of course, Martha gets five months for it!

What's the status of the technology regarding satellite radio, will there be walkman size receivers in the next year or so?  From what I've seen you have to use a boombox size receiver when it's not in the car.

59100[/snapback]

It's not the size but the application.

They can make a small device now, but how do they ensure that you wear it on top of your head all the time to catch the sat signal? And that you have to be outside all the time (unless you live near a repeater). Not really a good fit for a truly personal mobile application.

They can make a small device now, but how do they ensure that you wear it on top of your head all the time to catch the sat signal? And that you have to be outside all the time (unless you live near a repeater). Not really a good fit for a truly personal mobile application.

It's just a matter of time before someone figures out how to do it, I was just wondering if it was close. Perhaps something like linking the satellite signals to cell phone towers.

The XACT unit (SIRIUS Introduces Next Generation Satellite Radio Receiver ) is currently what most people think can be a walkman style unit for Sirius. There are plans to develop a battery add-on for the tuner, that when it comes to market, would make it the first of it's kind for either Satellite Radio company.

XACT at Best Buy

61476[/snapback]

Damn Jack, you're like Mr Wendy, Wendy's 'unofficial' spokesman. Maybe we should start calling you Mr Sirius?

;)

Damn Jack, you're like Mr Wendy, Wendy's 'unofficial' spokesman. Maybe we should start calling you Mr Sirius?

;)

61481[/snapback]

I love my Sirius, just like I love my Bills. And I've always loved fast food (and it shows).

It's just a matter of time before someone figures out how to do it, I was just wondering if it was close.  Perhaps something like linking the satellite signals to cell phone towers.

61387[/snapback]

It's not a tech issue, but an FCC issue. XM & SIRI got their clearance for satellite transmission only. If they put repeaters on cell towers, they would violate the provisions of their licenses, which do not allow them to be "local" broadcasters and compete with radio stations. They have some leeway to install repeaters in tunnels & urban areas where buildings, trees & squirrels block the satellite signal, but it was a hard fought battle to get that.

Who's Wendy the Retard?

61534[/snapback]

haha... howard said he is going to have to buy her a Sirius, because he can't imagine having to explain satelite radio to her...

The new sound bites of High Pitch crack me up EVERY time i hear them... especially "Who's high pitch" from when he made a prank phone call..

Hey Erik..this is KC...you wanna lollipop? When he calls eric the midget and  pretends to be KC

61561[/snapback]

oh man... I love how eric the midget can't take a joke... he has to realize he is the PERFECT victim...

Now that he is going to sattellite, hopefully his TV show will go to HBO or something similar...