Felser burns Losman at the stake

VABills

Larry's been writing a long time, and was responsible for writing and endorsing Shaw and Kelly for the HOF. I honestly don't read him every week, but I am not sure when I have, that I have ever seen him burn a player like this. I'm guessing that with Felser some of this sentiment comes from within OBD and has a ring of truth to it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061...?tbd1058394.asp

I'm starting to get really tired of some of these idiotic media folks who try to single handedly blame JP as the reason we lost last weeks game, and act as if he blew the game last week. The Buffalo writers are getting to the point where they are sounding like the National Media who doesn't know anything about Buffalo.

The Chicago game, he laid an egg, as well did the rest of the team. Last week, I thought he was one of the few players who at least tried to lift the flat a$$ Buffalo team and will them to a win. It would have been nice to see what they could do if the defense could have help detroit.

Let's see, last weeks "ghastly performance". He completed 62% of his passes with a couple drops, had 2 touchdowns, 1 interception (which he took the blame for), 16 yards rushing (1 for a key first down), and 86 rating (all from NFL.com). While not awe inspiring, I will take that from my starting QB ANY WEEK.

October Passing Rushing Fumbles

GAMEDATE Opp RESULT GS Att Comp Pct Yds TD Int Rate Sac Yds Att Yds Avg Lg TD Fum Rec

10/01 MIN W 17-12 Yes 32 23 71.9 224 1 0 101.6 3 21 4 17 4.3 15 0 0 0

10/08 @CHI L 7-40 Yes 27 14 51.9 115 1 3 35.8 3 28 3 8 2.7 7 0 1 0

10/15 @DET L 17-20 Yes 34 21 61.8 207 2 1 86.3 5 50 3 16 5.3 8 0 1 0

Yet, according to Larry Felser (who sounds like he is on his let's ride a QB out town like he did with Flutie), JP had a ghastly performance, and it was a fiasco in Detroit. NOTE TO LARRY: It's a team game and it takes the whole team to play well to win. JP was running for his life a good portion of the game and for some reason we did not go to the shorter routes earlier in the game.

Fact is, JP has had 1 horrendous game this year, in CHicago in which the whole team stunk up the Joint. Other than that he has performance reasonably well, albeit sporadic which is expected of someone who has not played very much. Folks like Felser need to try and be more creative in coming up with something to write about instead of taking the easy "let's compare JP to Matt Leinert) after seeing Leinert for 2 games in a system that has been in place for 3 years now). People 4get this is the 1st year in this system for all of Buffalo's players so it will take a bit to get every1 in sync. Let's see what teams adjust to Leinert in the next few games and see if Leinert is as great as people are making him seem.

I like Leinert and think he will be a very good NFL QB, but he would not have succeeded here in Buffalo, and we may already have a QB who is pretty good and just needs more experience playing and in a brand new system to take it to the next level. He is in a great situation in Arizona, with an established system, a franchise RB, great wide receivers, although their offensive line is terrible.

Anyways, it's frustrating as a fan to when you are finally seeing some progress from a QB, and development, and hear it from the coaches to read this crap in the papers from guys who can't be any more creative than this crap.

GO BILLS> Fingers crossed for a big upset today.

Jesus that sounds exactly like the kind of sh-- that was posted here by our more "talented" members after the Bears game. And I like his imaginary "12 game limit" for Losman that he thinks was set by Jauron and Levy.

I feel like Larry has been reading this board and unfortunately is picking up the pulse of the mentally unstable who drool this kind of stuff here after every loss.

Jesus that sounds exactly like the kind of sh-- that was posted here by our more "talented" members after the Bears game.  And I like his imaginary "12 game limit" for Losman that he thinks was set by Jauron and Levy.

I feel like Larry has been reading this board and unfortunately is picking up the pulse of the mentally unstable who drool this kind of stuff here after every loss.

812156[/snapback]

For someone else maybe. I think Larry's got a better reputation then that.

Larry's been writing a long time, and was responsible for writing and endorsing Shaw and Kelly for the HOF.  I honestly don't read him every week, but I am not sure when I have, that I have ever seen him burn a player like this.  I'm guessing that with Felser some of this sentiment comes from within OBD and has a ring of truth to it. 

812151[/snapback]

Just posted another similar topic within a couple minutes of yours. I don't think it has anything to do with coming from OBD, and more to do with Felser not being able to come up with anything better to write about. He got lazy in the days of RJ vs DF and figures talking about the QB always is a hot topic. I wouldn't mind criticism of JP, but Felser is just not accurate in referring to last week as a ghastly performance or fiasco.

GO BILLS.

Felser really went off the deep end. I'd like to know a few things. This year was supposed to be about developing Losman, and letting him play, knowing he was going to look good sometimes, and knowing he was going to look like sh-- other. Anyone who thought differently needs their head checked.

So how come when JP was playing good, he was "developing", and when he's not played so well, like the past 2 games, he "sucks". Mr Felser, i'll say it again. A young QB is going to have good games and bad games.

Also, i find it funny how the rest of the Bills are allowed to screw up, but its Losman's fault when he doesnt make the perfect play when the team actually does something right. So now losman has to be perfect when his teammates play well, but its ok for them to !@#$ up and not him?

Sorry Larry, you've gone off the deep end. Either that or JDG kidnapped you and wrote the artice under your name.

And giv it up on brady quinn already. First off, he's OVERRATED with a capital O. Secondly, whats the point of drafting an early QB next year? So we can watch our $50 million QB get his head taken off behind our line instead of our $7 million one?

Larry's been writing a long time, and was responsible for writing and endorsing Shaw and Kelly for the HOF.  I honestly don't read him every week, but I am not sure when I have, that I have ever seen him burn a player like this.  I'm guessing that with Felser some of this sentiment comes from within OBD and has a ring of truth to it. 

812151[/snapback]

Why would there be a ring of truth to it? If some of this came from within OBD then they'd be admitting they screwed up not drafting Lienart or Cutler. There's no way in hell that Jaroun, Levy and Co. told Larry Felser that they should have drafted Leinart or Cutler.

These hand-wringing should've could've articles are so obnoxious. The team needed to see what they have with JP Losman, not pine after a QB who would have hated being drafted by Buffalo. Losman's doing the best he can now that McGahee, O line and defense have been missing in action. Larry's wrong, Losman gets the whole year to show what he's got.

What did Larry really say? He acknowledged the fact that there was improvement in JP the first four games and that there has been a regression the last two. He used more dramatic language than I would have to describe this -- but its true...less decisive, less confidence.

Larry's premise is if that regression continues -- that JP may be deemed as "not the future QB" of the bills. He provides a scorecard of 6 more games to make that evaluation. I prefer that the Bills give JP the entire season...but Larry's point of "seeing what they have in Nall" is at least worth a consideration if JP puts together more Chicago games (He improved a bit in Detroit--but against an inferior team).

While the article is sensationalistic in some ways --it does hit the mark in one way--and we all know it--this is JP's trial year..he doesn't have to be brilliant but he has to show more progress than he has the last two weeks.

Plus Larry Felser has forgotten more about football than I will ever know and he has strong contacts with the Bills all the way into the owner's suite...As VA said--even though this is a column rather than a by-lined story, Felser seldom writes science fiction--someone in a significant postion at OBD feels somewhat like this.

Ramius--I agree with you on most things--but saying Brady Quinn is Overrated to the max is not one I agree with. Overrated in that he won't win the awards at the end of the season he was expected to -- I can live with that...but this kid has the arm, confidence, intelligence and mobility that is going to make some NFL team very happy......

Face it: as long as Buffalo loses and JP doesn't put up GREAT stats or our offense scores 25-30 points JP will take heat; especially with this Matt Leinart overhype. I mean ML put together 2 OK games in which he LOST but since he has fanfare he will get too much praise; all the blame will go to the Cardinarls not ML. Since JP wasn't a big name in college and he plays for the lowly Bills he will get no respect. If ML played the exact same season JP ha so far he'd be given much love and so much future outlook if he had his team in contention in 5 out of 6 games and lost 2 of those games by 2 and 3 points and another by 8. JP won't get that pass by them OR US! He is not the sexy story that puts fans in the seats. He was the 4th QB taken after those with much college fanfare. My biggest gripe is that JP has shown much progression for a 16 game vet and yet some seem to expect him to carry the team and be a Pro Bowler by now and no QB besides Marino has ever came in carried a team with his arm so soon. I mean those will bring up Big Ben but he was carried by the Steelers, not the other way around. Like the other article on this topic pointed out: "What's worse than having questions about a 1st round QB is having questions about 2 1st round QB's.

Bills fans must be patient and give JP the rest of this season AND next. If he hasn't proven himself by then on to the next QB. But based on how he has progress so far and the history of the game, it would be foolish not to.

And giv it up on brady quinn already. First off, he's OVERRATED with a capital O. Secondly, whats the point of drafting an early QB next year? So we can watch our $50 million QB get his head taken off behind our line instead of our $7 million one?

812167[/snapback]

But you see Brady Quinn has that name and with that brings patience by the fans that will hopefully give the Bills time to develop him unlike that given to JP. And I'm with you in the fact that I'm not sold on Quinn either as he is inconsistent in college; he will be just as big a question mark in the NFL.

I don't know and can't understand why so many BILLS FANS hate on JP. I can see the outsiders who look strictly at stats and highlights and don't really follow the team but yet have to comment knowing little. I mean he has shown that he has the strong arm to deal with the windy weather in Buffalo and the mobility to make plays. And while he is PROGRESSING, all he lacks is the CONSISTENCY which only comes with EXPERIENCE and TEAM CHEMISTRY that usually doesn't come in YEAR ONE of a NEW SYSTEM. Plus he taken to Buffalo and made it his home. I just DON'T GET IT; can somebody PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND?

812151[/snapback]

Who knows if Losman will pan out, all I know is that no QB can be successful with this team as it stands now. The QB has to play virtually perfect football in order to win. He can't turn the ball over even one time and still expect to win. That's not the same for most other QBs in the league, but unfortunately that's what's expected of Losman. Of course he's going to fail given these circumstances. Eli puts up 2 INTs and the rest of the Giants team picks him up and they still manage a comfortable win. If Losman turns the ball over two times everybody is on his A** and blames him for the loss.

It sure would be nice to see the D start causing some turnovers so the Bills don't automatically lose the turnover battle if they turn it over one or two times.

It’s lazy writing to just put everything on the QB. Of course Losman hasn’t looked good the past two weeks but he was the ONLY reason the Bills were even in the game at the end last week. If anybody else (particularly on D) helps the team by making a play the Bills might have won.

QB rating doesn't tell everything but if someone had told me Losman would have one over 80 after 6 games I'd have taken that as solid progress.

Rob Johnson had all the tools and looked good on occasion as well. The thing that scares me about Losman, similar to Johnson, is that he has never led a conference-winning team much less champonship caliber team. You can't teach that. Look at a guy like Chad Pennington. He certainly lacks a lot of the physical talents you look for in a QB, but everywhere he goes, he wins. I think this is the point that Felser is trying to make. It probably is a bit pre-mature given Losman hasn't played many games in the NFL, but has he ever shown that he can be a QB on a quality team at the college or pro level? His line was supposedly horrible in college too, but good QB's seem to somehow find a way to overcome these things at some point in their careers. That said, if Losman doesn't respond the rest of the season, Troy Smith is a guy that really intrigues me. If he proves to the NFL scouts, he can make enough of the throws, he seems like the type of guy that you want running your team.

Who knows if Losman will pan out, all I know is that no QB can be successful with this team as it stands now.  The QB has to play virtually perfect football in order to win.  He can't turn the ball over even one time and still expect to win.  That's not the same for most other QBs in the league, but unfortunately that's what's expected of Losman.  Of course he's going to fail given these circumstances.  Eli puts up 2 INTs and the rest of the Giants team picks him up and they still manage a comfortable win.  If Losman turns the ball over two times everybody is on his A** and blames him for the loss.

It sure would be nice to see the D start causing some turnovers so the Bills don't automatically lose the turnover battle if they turn it over one or two times.

It’s lazy writing to just put everything on the QB.  Of course Losman hasn’t looked good the past two weeks but he was the ONLY reason the Bills were even in the game at the end last week.  If anybody else (particularly on D) helps the team by making a play the Bills might have won.

QB rating doesn't tell everything but if someone had told me Losman would have one over 80 after 6 games I'd have taken that as solid progress.

812192[/snapback]

Really good post.

I don't know where I stand on Losman. At times this season I've thought he was maturing into a potentially-elite NFL QB. Other times I've been convinced he is not the answer. One of these days, he's just going to have to prove that he can carry the team on his back and beat a favored opponent. He'll HAVE to do this. Against the Bears, he did the exact opposite. I'm interested to see what happens today. If he plays like he did in Chicago, Feltzer might be right - it might be curtains for him. It's a situation that's always in flux - there is no "objective" answer. A young QBs entire career can be made or broken by a couple of games that open or close the window to the future. It's just how the NFL works. In other words, Feltzer is right in the sense that you don't get a lot of chances in this League as a QB - it's a narrow window of opportunity. Fair or not fair. Losman better seize the moment, SOON.

Really good post.

I don't know where I stand on Losman.  At times this season I've thought he was maturing into a potentially-elite NFL QB.  Other times I've been convinced he is not the answer.  One of these days, he's just going to have to prove that he can carry the team on his back and beat a favored opponent.  He'll HAVE to do this.  Against the Bears, he did the exact opposite.  I'm interested to see what happens today.  If he plays like he did in Chicago, Feltzer might be right - it might be curtains for him.  It's a situation that's always in flux - there is no "objective" answer.  A young QBs entire career can be made or broken by a couple of games that open or close the window to the future.  It's just how the NFL works.  In other words, Feltzer is right in the sense that you don't get a lot of chances in this League as a QB - it's a narrow window of opportunity.  Fair or not fair.  Losman better seize the moment, SOON.

812199[/snapback]

I'm not so sure it has to happen soon. Jauron was adamant about being "forcefully patient" with Losman this season. If Losman stinks it up this week but lights it up in the last 4-5 games of the season nobody is going to point back to this three game stretch (except Holcomb's Arm and JDG). Losman needs to show that he can play more consistently but I don't think it absolutely has to start today. I think he’ll be given the entire season and then they’ll judge him based on how he improved/didn’t improve.

It's hard to take Felser too seriously these days - he used to be a fairly decent sports columnist/reporter but these days he's just old, tired, and maybe even 'a couple beers short of a six-pack'.

JP will have bad games - this is his first full year as a starter, ferschissakes. He's young and green - thanks to sitting out his first year with a broken leg and being grossly mishandled by Mularkey last season. It may take the rest of this season and all of next before JP really comes into his own. The O-line still needs rebuilding, Willis has to stop whiffing on his blocks, and we have to start working the TEs into the offensive game plan more. I'm surprised that the QB situation is still being debated - at least in Felser's now-feeble mind. I really thought this topic had already been beaten into the ground.

Let's see how JP and the team rebound today against a quality opponent, and let's see how he looks down the stretch. I know this outcome would change Felser's tune...

Bills - 27

Pats - 10

This year was supposed to be about developing Losman, and letting him play, knowing he was going to look good sometimes, and knowing he was going to look like sh-- other. Anyone who thought differently needs their head checked.

812167[/snapback]

I agree. This team is going nowhere without upgraded O and D lines, so it's pointless to think making a change at QB will have any difference on the season. Let JP play the whole 16 games -- for good or bad-- and quit pulling the rug out from under him. The other professional team in town is being lauded for having the patience to develop its young players, yet a large segment of Bills nation wants to keep flipping the switch on JPL on a weekly basis.

And when the Bills won those two games ealier in the season they labled him as the second coming of ken stabler. Its like any other unproven QB when they win he'll get praise and tormented by the press in the loss. Im sure this guy put aside everything else in the NFL to breakdown the Bills Lions game, 2 bad teams. Sometimes I think these guys write these articles before the games and just fill in the blanks with the names of the losers. We have a young team thats developing, everyone new they werent going to be great this year but they have some stuff to build on and everyone whos been following the bills knows the biggest problems fall on the O and D line- nuff said