game day observations

1. We saved a roster spot as there seems absolutely no reason not to have Terrence McGee as the #1 KR. The guy is a player, without question. He makes great decisions, he has an incredible burst of speed, he was an excellent returner in college, did well the few times asked last year and excellent this year. All three of his returns yesterday were very good. He's a playmaker. This is a no-brainer. Up until today, I felt perhaps we need to give A. Brown one more chance but we could free up a roster spot using our #3 corner there. McGee is one tough, fast, shifty hombre with the knack for excitement and big plays.

2. If Drew plays like he did yesterday, barring a series of injuries, we're going to the playoffs. What he did is all he needs to do. He made quick, decisive decisions. He threw the ball on a rope. He avoided the rush. He made a couple fairly bad throws (having his pass tipped at the line when Henry was hurt, and the grounding penalty (but if you watch the replay there was not a single Bill open anyway).

3. The line may not be terrible. Smith looked pretty good. Williams looked fair to me but needs the time. The play that Henry got killed for a 7 yard loss he looked like he just blocked the wrong man, and didn't "get blown up by Kevin Carter" like the news said. He blocked the guy opposite him when he should have blocked the guy, Carter, inside of him because he had the RG pulling. He made a couple nice blocks. Teague was again solid in the middle to me. I watched the Denver game again and Teague was very solid that game.

4. Yesterday was a good indication of why we shouldnt and won't trade either back. It's too easy to get hurt. And it's great to have a guy like McGahee if Travis goes down, even if Willis still is not even close to 100%.

5. Ron Edwards actually made a couple nice plays. He looks better.

6. Even though Calico made a tremendous touchdown catch against Vincent, TV really had good coverage and that is a break-up 95% of the time. Vincent looked sluggish on his breaks the rest of the game though. I expect him to play well over the course of the season but he was beat regularly.

7. The first defense, despite the stats, is going to be fine. They are the least worry.

8. I was hoping Wire would come on but he is not ready. Reese is okay as a starter. We have two good back-up corners in McGee and Thomas, both of whom have had excellent camps and games.

9. Gotta love London Fletcher on the KR team. He abuses people and loves to hit and gets good leverage on his blocks. It looks like our ST may be a strength. April has done a good job so far of picking players.

10. Clements seems much improved over last year.

11. The defensive ends were terrible the entire game. All of them, with isolated, very infrequent good plays.

12. Obviously, very disappointed in all the penalties, especially the personal fouls. That cannot be tolerated. I would bet Mularkey abused them in the locker room over it.

13. So far, I really like the play-calling of Tom Clements. We run enough but we still throw on first down, actually use play-action, throw a lot of safe quick passes, and yet will go deep enough not to let the defense creep up. The mix has been pretty good so far. Yeah, we threw on 3rd and 2 but we must do that sometimes. The problem is when you always do one or the other. The pass on 3rd and inches was just plain smart play-calling, knowing you would go for it on 4th in the pre-season game. They set up reverses. They ran a lot of formations.

14. I can't say enough about Losman. I love the guy's attitude. That was a tremendous play on 3rd and forever that got Lindell in position to kick a 49 yard FG. He's quick to take off but he looks downfield when he can before he runs. he is very green but seems to have a great future. TD, IMO, made a great trade by using this year to groom our future QB. Remains to be seen if he is a good NFL quarterback but early signs are that the kid has got game skills and a ton of talent.

15. Lindell suddenly discovered he has a strong leg. If he could get it a little higher that would help. It's a fine line between distance and hang-time. He still kicks a little too low but it is better than we have had for a few years.

GET YOUR POSITIVE REVIEW OUT OF HERE!! DONT YOU KNOW WE ARE DOOOOOOMMMEEEDD!?

All joking aside Kelly, what a fantastic report, thanks a lot! As for the starting defense last night, they've earned the right in my mind to have an off-night. If they start playing like that in the regular season, then I'll flip out...but not over one preseason game. The Defense was and still is the backbone of this team, just wait until Week One when the Leftwich is getting smacked around behind the line of scrimmage. I think anyone who gets upset over a preseason game (aside from injuries) needs to have their heads examined.

On another note, Losman looks damn good doesnt he? The kid seems to really love being out there, I say next week lets put him as #2 and see how he does against slightly harder competition.

Excellent notes KDog. Don't tell me you got up at 4AM to watch that;-)

Wondered if you had any mental notes re: Vilarial and also kind of wondered what it was about the DEnds that left you underwhelmed.

Thanx!

Cya

Excellent notes KDog. Don't tell me you got up at 4AM to watch that;-)

Wondered if you had any mental notes re: Vilarial and also kind of wondered what it was about the DEnds that left you underwhelmed.

Thanx!

Cya

3577[/snapback]

I didnt watch the play of every lineman to get a really good read on them but in general, Villarial's play seemed indicatve of the entire first team line: Serviceable-to-good, not great but far from the catastrophe and disaster some feared. They were not opening huge holes but big enough for the backs to get through most of the time. They held their pass blocks long enough for the called play (as most were quick. The plays Clements called to go deep had maximum protection in, which gave Drew the time he needed to go deep to Moulds. This is by far the biggest worry on the team but if they get that kind of play we're going to be very tough because we have a solid D, look to be solid ST, a couple very good runners, a couple very good receivers, and smart coaching.

The DE's, when they did beat their man, missed the tackle. They seemed to be blocked easily, especially pushed to the outside on off tackle runs. They got very little pressure in passing plays. Even when they made the tackle it was downfield.

I didnt watch the play of every lineman to get a really good read on them but in general, Villarial's play seemed indicatve of the entire first team line: Serviceable-to-good, not great but far from the catastrophe and disaster some feared. They were not opening huge holes but big enough for the backs to get through most of the time. They held their pass blocks long enough for the called play (as most were quick. The plays Clements called to go deep had maximum protection in, which gave Drew the time he needed to go deep to Moulds. This is by far the biggest worry on the team but if they get that kind of play we're going to be very tough because we have a solid D, look to be solid ST, a couple very good runners, a couple very good receivers, and smart coaching.

The DE's, when they did beat their man, missed the tackle. They seemed to be blocked easily, especially pushed to the outside on off tackle runs. They got very little pressure in passing plays. Even when they made the tackle it was downfield.

3582[/snapback]

I'll have to rewind the tape a few tims, but I also thought that the starting DTs had a very subpar game. There was no penetration on the rush, and they were neutralized by Titans' interior OLs too much. Titans' 1st string O had an easy time moving up the field.

Thanks for the notes, K-Dog. I just finished watching the game, and I agree with virtually everything. Clearly, the penalties were painful, but alternately, we had them under control in last week's game, so right now I see that more of an accident than a trend. I was also VERY pleased to see the fire on the field. Yes, it needs to be reined in, but I'm a big fan of fire.

If you stop to consider what everyone has been concerned about, it's amazing how wrong people can be.

1) Bledsoe and the OL - Bledsoe had another solid outing. I do NOT get concerned at their inability to put the ball in the endzone, and agree completely with the third and short play action call.

2) Teague - The exchanges from center seem reliable, and because Bledsoe is getting rid of the ball quicker, we're seeing better output from the OL.

3) Lindell - Redeemed himself with the 48 yarder, but I'll even cut a bit of slack on the missed (and very ugly) FG given Moormon wasn't holding. In fact, if Moormon was holding on the PAT, the game may have gone to OT...though you could argue that TN likely would've tried for 6 instead of kneeling for the FG.

4) Travis and McGahee - The American Idol crowd is going to have to find something else to B word about and rile up the neighbors because Henry is a stud, McGahee is still crawling along, and Jerry Sullivan is a fuggin' moron.

I'll have to rewind the tape a few tims, but I also thought that the starting DTs had a very subpar game.  There was no penetration on the rush, and they were neutralized by Titans' interior OLs too much.  Titans' 1st string O had an easy time moving up the field.

3588[/snapback]

Maybe it's just being an eternal optimist, or the glass is half full kind of person. Okay, well, a homer... But I'm really not worried about the defense, even the line. On the first drive, they did what they did a lot last year, gave up several first downs but when push came to shove, the DTs and DE made two tough stops on 3rd and 4th down and took the ball over with no points against. On the second drive they gave up a TD on a fantastic catch and very good pass, with good coverage on the play. The Titans are a very good, veteran, well coached team with the co-MVP playing quarterback, who looked sharp.

We didnt get a huge push, you're right, but I will not lose any sleep over our defense. Teams don't pitch shut-outs all the time. We got another turnover by our starters, who gave up seven total points.

Thanks Kelly--great report for those who couldn't watch. I am really impressed by the reports on McGee and Thomas. One of them is going to be ready next year for #2 and Troy Vincent is going to make one hell of a safety.

The DE situation is worrisome...Schobel's hurdle to big bucks is his play against the run....He should sign before the season starts if his agent is smart.

Great news on JP....sounds like he will do whatever it takes to make a play when its needed....I keep saying it--he's not comparable to Vick but he's Flutie with size and an arm and like or not, when Flutie was on the field its the most exciting and balanced our offense has been since 1995/1996.

Thanks Kelly--great report for those who couldn't watch.  I am really impressed by the reports on McGee and Thomas.  One of them is going to be ready next year for #2 and Troy Vincent is going to make one hell of a safety. 

The DE situation is worrisome...Schobel's hurdle to big bucks is his play against the run....He should sign before the season starts if his agent is smart.

Great news on JP....sounds like he will do whatever it takes to make a play when its needed....I keep saying it--he's not comparable to Vick but he's Flutie with size and an arm and like or not, when Flutie was on the field its the most exciting and balanced our offense has been since 1995/1996.

3666[/snapback]

Schobel will likely get double digit sacks, and some team will offer him big bucks, whether he is worth it or not. We may just have to let him go. But I doubt we would offer him enough money now for his agent to risk not getting into a bidding war for him. More and more it looks like Jennings may be the guy to resign, and hopefully he can stay healthy.

Schobel will likely get double digit sacks, and some team will offer him big bucks, whether he is worth it or not. We may just have to let him go. But I doubt we would offer him enough money now for his agent to risk not getting into a bidding war for him. More and more it looks like Jennings may be the guy to resign, and hopefully he can stay healthy.

4185[/snapback]

The market is crazy for DE's now with Winstrom getting $14 M, O-Gun getting $15 M and Kearse getting $16 M up front. The $9 M KGB got from Green Bay looks like a bargain...

I guess its kind of pick your poison for us next year--where are we weaker right now OT or DE....put another way--would you rather get two OT's from the crew of Williams, Price, Sullivan, McFarland or get two DE's from the choice of Denney, Kelsay, McKenzie and Gildon (who we would probably be able to resign if he makes the team this year). I still think one of Schobel or Jennings gets done before the start of the season--now I am being the eternal optimist.

I am starting to agree with you that Gildon makes this team...if only because of this.

8. I was hoping Wire would come on but he is not ready.

Ahh - but he is ready my friend - to find employment elsewhere :rolleyes:

9. Gotta love London Fletcher on the KR team. He abuses people and loves to hit and gets good leverage on his blocks. It looks like our ST may be a strength. April has done a good job so far of picking players.

Been hearing so much about Fletcher being a monster blocking on KOs - wonder if they've considered throwing him in there as a twist in a short yardage run package (esp. considering our lack of FB talent/depth)

Can't argue with any of that, Kelly. I do think that with the starting offensive line now set (and Smith looking pretty good) and hopefully everyone reasonable healthy, and Williams getting into shape, that the play of the line is going to improve pretty quickly throught the rest of preseason.

Archived