ITS FREAKING SNOWING

5 Wide

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a wild ride the last 36 hours! I was kept awake most of Thursday night by my electric going on and off, and appliances starting and stopping. We finally "browned out" and had enough juice to run a DVD play until about noon when it all died. Tried to shovel out my vehicles, couldn't get into the street due to ruts. Not to worry, it melted soon. During the melt walked to several stores until I found one that was open. Later took the truck to get more food and get gas, had to wait about 45 min. Heard the scary news that we may RUN OUT OF WATER soon! WTF! They asked us to boil water - great - we have no power! Stocked up on water and gatorade and beer. Thought we could make it at home with no power, as we had a check valve installed so we would not get any backflow from the sewer. It gave a good fight but the water started to come in the basement. Mad scramble to get some valuables upstairs. That's when we called it quits - we are now in my mother's (thankfully large) apartment with my sister and nephew, with power and heat.

Great fun to hear that power will be restored possibly by NEXT WEEK! The estimates I heard this morning started out with Sunday, then Tuesday, now Thursday. At this rate I will have an indoor swimming pool with the washer and dryer bumping in to each other.

Anyone have advice on a generator? I'm thinking of going to Lowe's or HD soon to see if they open....If I can't get one I will have lost appliances, clothing, valuables I couldn't find or save....

What a total disaster, may not be back to work for awhile...

Great fun to hear that power will be restored possibly by NEXT WEEK! The estimates I heard this morning started out with Sunday, then Tuesday, now Thursday.  At this rate I will have an indoor swimming pool with the washer and dryer bumping in to each other.

Anyone have advice on a generator?  I'm thinking of going to Lowe's or HD soon to see if they open....If I can't get one I will have lost appliances, clothing, valuables I couldn't find or save....

803899[/snapback]

I spoke to my aunt in Tonawanda around 7:30 PM, she was pretty much in the same boat as you with the flooding basement. She sounded pretty frazzled about it. I was thinking she could call the Fire Dept to see if they could help her out if it gets too bad. I'll call her in the AM and see how she's doing. Not much I can do from down here in Fla..

Having been through 3 major hurricanes down here in the past 2 yrs., I can sympathize with the loss of electricity. My experience with getting a Generator after the 1st Hurricane was that they were no where to be found for several days, finally Home Depot got some in, and they were leaving the store as fast as they came off the truck. I was fortunate to get one with a Honda Engine. If you have your choice get a Honda Engine . that puts out at least 5000 Watts, be sure to buy some extra gas cans and extra quarts of Oil. They're gas hogs, and you have to change the oil every 50 hrs, which doesn't sound like much until you have to run it for a couple days. Make sure to get extension cords, and 220 plug adapters if you need them. One other thing get a chain and lock and lock it so it doesn't disappear in the middle of the night. At least down here in Fla., Generators getting stolen was a big problem.

Might take a few months but, FEMA will re-imburse you up to $800 for your generator....

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

Wow, what a wild ride the last 36 hours!  I was kept awake most of Thursday night by my electric going on and off, and appliances starting and stopping.  We finally "browned out" and had enough juice to run a DVD play until about noon when it all died.  Tried to shovel out my vehicles, couldn't get into the street due to ruts.  Not to worry, it melted soon.  During the melt walked to several stores until I found one that was open.  Later took the truck to get more food and get gas, had to wait about 45 min. Heard the scary news that we may RUN OUT OF WATER soon!  WTF!  They asked us to boil water - great - we have no power!  Stocked up on water and gatorade and beer.  Thought we could make it at home with no power, as we had a check valve installed so we would not get any backflow from the sewer.  It gave a good fight but the water started to come in the basement.  Mad scramble to get some valuables upstairs.  That's when we called it quits - we are now in my mother's (thankfully large) apartment with my sister and nephew, with power and heat.

Great fun to hear that power will be restored possibly by NEXT WEEK! The estimates I heard this morning started out with Sunday, then Tuesday, now Thursday.  At this rate I will have an indoor swimming pool with the washer and dryer bumping in to each other.

Anyone have advice on a generator?  I'm thinking of going to Lowe's or HD soon to see if they open....If I can't get one I will have lost appliances, clothing, valuables I couldn't find or save....

What a total disaster, may not be back to work for awhile...

803899[/snapback]

My brother was saying everybody is out of generators... He drives a truck and is in DC area... Is gonna bring one back for my father tomorrow...

My father is loving it :doh::lol: (I guess like father like son...Me.. :huh::D )... He has basically kept viglant and kept his drainage and sump sysytem up to date and maintained all these years... Basically only has to keep dumping a five gallon pale every so often... A gen would help

I have learned from all his years fighting the good fight... Drainage is important, back-ups help and what not... You can't stop the water, just send it somewhere else...

Always plan for these things when money is loose and the soil is bone dry in the middle of the hot summer...

Power being out really sucks... Keep the faith...

Good luck!

It's in Buffalo

"Evaporation increases when the surface temperature of the ocean rises and warmer air can hold more moisture. When this soggier-than-normal air moves over land, it results in storms wetter and more intense than those experienced in the past. "

803585[/snapback]

Exactly!

This crazy weather is a prime example.

People think warm... Hot... Global warming... :huh::D

When you really should be thinking:

Global Warming=Volatile Weather Patterns. Which means hot summers and cold winters dotted with differing severe storms...

My brother was saying everybody is out of generators... He drives a truck and is in DC area... Is gonna bring one back for my father tomorrow...

My father is loving it :doh:  :lol:  (I guess like father like son...Me.. :huh:  :D )... He has basically kept viglant and kept his drainage and sump sysytem up to date and maintained all these years... Basically only has to keep dumping a five gallon pale every so often... A gen would help

I have learned from all his years fighting the good fight... Drainage is important, back-ups help and what not...  You can't stop the water, just send it somewhere else...

Always plan for these things when money is loose and the soil is bone dry in the middle of the hot summer...

Power being out really sucks... Keep the faith...

Good luck!

803925[/snapback]

I know a guy who drove from Buffalo to ohio yesterday to get one. About 300 miles round trip.

It's in Buffalo

"Evaporation increases when the surface temperature of the ocean rises and warmer air can hold more moisture. When this soggier-than-normal air moves over land, it results in storms wetter and more intense than those experienced in the past. "

803585[/snapback]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C26eaxFmP3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOkg7qxsGnU

My Mom was supposed to come and visit me this weekend hear in Atlanta. She had a 4:45 flight on Friday that was delayed over and over and ultimately canceled around midnight. No flights yeasterday, they were all cancelled, and everything is booked today. It looks like she won't be here until mid-day tomorrow. Hopefully she will make it before kick-off so that we can watch the game together. Just like the posts above, she is without power and experiencing some flooding. Good luck to all...

Hope that everyone gets their power back as soon as possible. The damage just looks devastating from the pictures. Is it true, 50% tree loss in some areas? That's going to change the landscape for a long time, if so. Really sad.

Just because it doesn't get mentioned, for those of you in the area, linemen are working around the clock (my dad is one of them), 20 hour days until things are fixed. It's really hard and thankless work. If you see one, thank them. It means a lot more than you'll ever know.

Could someone gimme a breakdown of the above video.  No flash on work 'puter.  Can't watch any of the damn videos everyone links from youtube or google.

803970[/snapback]

Just a South Park global-warming reference =)

I've got an 82 year old grandfather up there that lives by himself. He was using his stove to keep the house warm. The rest of the those that remain in Buff are alright, but I worry a bit about the grandfather.

-Jeff

Hope that everyone gets their power back as soon as possible.  The damage just looks devastating from the pictures.  Is it true, 50% tree loss in some areas?  That's going to change the landscape for a long time, if so.  Really sad.

Just because it doesn't get mentioned, for those of you in the area, linemen are working around the clock (my dad is one of them), 20 hour days until things are fixed.  It's really hard and thankless work.  If you see one, thank them.  It means a lot more than you'll ever know.

803972[/snapback]

You're kidding. 50%? Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad.... Some youtube.com of the last day or so:

I just spoke to my aunt in Tonawanda, and just as I thought the neighbors are helping her out. One of them has a generator and has run a line to her sump pump,

they've also done the shoveling and helping her get her electric garage door open.

(We lost my Uncle last year, and she's in her mid 70's so you can see why I was concerned about her.)

All I can say is, Thank God for the true WNY community spirit of neighbor helping neighbor in time of need.

Also, If you know someone without power, usually they will restore it in this order:

1. Hospitals and essential Health Care Facilities.

2. Police, Fire, Govt. bldgs., including water treatment facilities.

3. Commercial (ie Home Depot, Wal Mart, Tops, etc.)

4. Multi Family Residential

5. Single Family Residential.

At least thats how they did it in Fla. after the last 3 hurricanes. Not sure how it works in WNY anymore since I've been gone for 20 yrs., but I imagine its the same way all across the country.

Heard on the Weather Channel that the Squaw Island Sewage Plant was out because the wires on one of the transmission towers there came down. They said that the crane they use to hoist guys up 200 feet was so big that they couldn't drive it over the bridge to the island. They had to dismantle the crane , use another crane to get the crane on the island and reassemble it. then the winds picked up and the crews are grounded for safety reasons.

When you really should be thinking:

Global Warming=Volatile Weather Patterns.  Which means hot summers and cold winters dotted with differing severe storms...

803926[/snapback]

While there may be an argument that Global Warming causes more storms, it should not be causing colder winters in any appreciable way as far as I can see. The more greenhouse gases, the more stable the temperatures as more heat is prevented from escaping the atmosphere.