ITS FREAKING SNOWING

5 Wide

While there may be an argument that Global Warming causes more storms, it should not be causing colder winters in any appreciable way as far as I can see. The more greenhouse gases, the more stable the temperatures as more heat is prevented from escaping the atmosphere.

804248[/snapback]

If the climate were a static system. It's not. It's oscillatory. And when you put energy into an oscillatory system, you don't shift the center of the oscillation towards a higher energy state, you cause greater oscillations.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the climate were a static system.  It's not.  It's oscillatory.  And when you put energy into an oscillatory system, you don't shift the center of the oscillation towards a higher energy state, you cause greater oscillations.

804273[/snapback]

While I understand your point, wouldn't it more or less shift the oscillations up? The bottom of the oscillation will have a higher temperature and the top will as well, it just oscillates within a new boundary.

Judging by what I witnessed tonight driving thru the city, if power isn't restored soon we are going to have an ugly scenerio on our hands.

We don't need that.

If all you ex-Buffalo patriates aren't too cool to shout at the authorities in any way imaginable we shore would appreciate it.

Check on your loved ones that still live in the area, and demand an immediate response from Chertoff or that idiot Reynolds.

Driving through Eggertsville today......holy Christ!

Hope that everyone gets their power back as soon as possible.  The damage just looks devastating from the pictures.  Is it true, 50% tree loss in some areas?  That's going to change the landscape for a long time, if so.  Really sad.

Just because it doesn't get mentioned, for those of you in the area, linemen are working around the clock (my dad is one of them), 20 hour days until things are fixed.  It's really hard and thankless work.  If you see one, thank them.  It means a lot more than you'll ever know.

You're kidding. 50%? Wow, I didn't realize it was that bad.... Some youtube.com of the last day or so:

If you're talking damage as opposed to total loss, I'd guess MORE than that in some places.

Surreal ride to Amherst and back Friday night. Mom called my brother at work Friday, said water was coming in the sump pit almost as fast as they could bail, so we loaded the 4wd with generator/extension cords/gas cans and made the four-hour round trip after work... would have posted when I got home last night, but yesterday was a long friggin' day. As I sit here back in PA with lights/heat/TV/etc., my thoughts/best wishes go out to everyone dealing with this right now.

Got to Holland, stopped to fill the gas cans, found out everything that far north was out, had to backtrack to Yorkshire Corners. Passed several tree-trimming rigs parked in South Wales, probably grabbing a quick bite to eat before heading north...

Then, got to the bottom of the 400... and not a single flake of snow on the ground. Nada. Zip. Zilch. A couple of miles up, started to see a dusting... couple more miles, roads were still bare/dry, but you could see where they had been plowed... couple miles after THAT, cars down in the median and snow plowed to the top of the guardrails. Classic lake-effect banding.

On 90: Weird to see the Buffalo skyline lit up, but nothing in the neighborhoods on either side of the road. Galleria parking lots were lit, but the only cars there had obviously been abandoned the day before... Seeing a few planes overhead clued us in that the airport had re-opened. Overpasses were still kind of sloppy (mostly just wet from the snowmelt), but the front-end loader/dumptruck crews were out trying to get the berms cleared out.

For those of you coming in for the Pats game, the Marriott and Hampton off Millersport were up and running. (Dunno if they were on generators, though.) Didn't get over Transit way to see how things looked, but the 11pm news tonight showed cars floating in that one underpass that always floods out...

UB also had some power -- noticed the lights were even on at the football field. (I'd forgotten they had a home game scheduled this weekend; probably out trying to get stuff cleaned up, see how soon they could make it playable. Hear it's been rescheduled for 1pm Sunday.)

We'd seen some busted-up trees and such all the way from the 400 north, but the full extent of the devastation didn't hit us until we made the right turn from the 990 onto Sweet Home Road. (Even then, we knew we weren't seeing the worst of it; we could tell crews had been through to plow/clear trees out of the roadways, and some of the snow had already melted.)

Our headlights, and those of the other few cars on the road, were the only light sources showing us all the downed trees and wires right out to the edge of the street. And that was on Sweet Home; most side streets were still a mess. Can't imagine what it's going to look like in daylight, although I imagine their neighborhood will be similar to the pictures I've seen on the TV/Web...

Reminder to anyone using a generator: MAKE SURE IT'S OUTSIDE. Another part of the family made a trip to the ER today with a dose of CO poisoning from the one they were using. (Thankfully, everyone's OK... but I've heard other people weren't as fortunate.) I wouldn't even risk putting it in an attached garage.

Finally got a generator yesterday afternoon, ordered it over the internet (Sears) and they held it for me.....Using it OUTSIDE but fearful of looters, don't have a choice....

804339[/snapback]

Shall we start the gun debate now? :D

Looters? I just can't believe it's that bad up there.

Finally got a generator yesterday afternoon, ordered it over the internet (Sears) and they held it for me.....Using it OUTSIDE but fearful of looters, don't have a choice....

804339[/snapback]

Glad you found one. Get a large eye bolt, a lock and some big chain and you should be alright from generator thieves.

During the Hurricanes we had people push lawnmowers next to generators and steal them, thinking what they heard running was the generator... :D

Don't forget to file with FEMA and they'll re-imburse you some, if not all of the cost of the Generator.

Hang in there, Good Luck.

I know a guy who drove from Buffalo to ohio yesterday to get one. About 300 miles round trip.

803940[/snapback]

The generator my uncle bought was purchased from a man who drove from Amherst to Columbus, OH and bought all 11 generators they had at Home Depot.

The generator my uncle bought was purchased from a man who drove from Amherst to Columbus, OH and bought all 11 generators they had at Home Depot.

805395[/snapback]

There are generators at the Costco in Springfield, VA. I was just there yesterday and was thinking if someone wanted one, they could drive down and back in about 8 hours.

My sister in West Seneca got power yesterday. My brother in West Seneca and mother in Cheektowaga got it today. My brother has a generator, so he was splitting time between his house and my mother's running the sump pump and fridge.

http://joeferguson.blogspot.com/2006/10/oc...ffalo-snow.html

I live in Eggertsville and am still without power.  This is the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen.  So many trees down.  Luckily I know people who currently have electricity.

805379[/snapback]

i love this little quote all the way at the bottom of the link

According to many news reports, they are telling us that full power won't be restored until Thursday or Friday. If that is the case, I think I am going to use that as an excuse to loot Wal-Mart and score me some Heineken.

:(

http://joeferguson.blogspot.com/2006/10/oc...ffalo-snow.html

I live in Eggertsville and am still without power.  This is the most unbelievable thing I have ever seen.  So many trees down.  Luckily I know people who currently have electricity.

805379[/snapback]

My folks live over on Stevenson and they tell me things are improving, though they are still without power. Today they offered some drive by business 200 bux to clean up the front and back yard and they accepted. Did a great job according to the parentals.

I thought things were bad over on the West Side of Buffalo until I took the 5 mile trip to Amherst late Saturday afternoon.

A real eye opener to be sure.

My folks live over on Stevenson and they tell me things are improving, though they are still without power. Today they offered some drive by business 200 bux to clean up the front and back yard and they accepted. Did a great job according to the parentals.

I thought things were bad over on the West Side of Buffalo until I took the 5 mile trip to Amherst late Saturday afternoon.

A real eye opener to be sure.

807195[/snapback]

Update: It's Tuesday morning, I'm at UB North Campus because the school opened today and I have to teach a class in about 30 minutes. Still no power at my house. The day after my uncle purchased his generator, it was stolen from his backyard. I really would enjoy the power being on, especially so I can stop having to check and and see if the basement is flooded.

The day after my uncle purchased his generator, it was stolen from his backyard.  I really would enjoy the power being on, especially so I can stop having to check and and see if the basement is flooded.

807516[/snapback]

Hey Joe, Friggin generator thieves. Quite a common thing, we saw it alot down here in Florida after Frances, Jeanne, and Wilma. Long story short, but, after Hurricane Frances hit, some "Darwins" tried to steal the Gens they were using to power the traffic lights at a major intersection, which was being watched by Natl Guard troops armed with M16's and Humvees w/50 cals... Needless to say, they didn't get too far. :P

Good luck, and hang in there.