The old codgers at the Ralph suck...

eball

I am 53, does that qualify me as a codger?  :D

I wear whatever I want unless the event requires certain attire; for example I do not wear sweats to a formal wedding.

That said, who cares what a person wears? When a guy is dating my daughter, I want to see what is INSIDE that person.

Clothes are a sign of rebellion and part of self discovery, as a younger person is learning who they are. As long as there is respect, I am not concerned with most clothes.

I DO think the crooked hat looks like Goober Pyle.

I do not like girls wearing slogans on their ass, even if it not provocative, you are inviting people to read your butt!

I have told "dates", when arriving at my house to pull up their pants, and remove their cap when being introduced to my wife.

If they hate me, I do not care. If they are lucky enough to stay around, they will change their mind.  :D

Hurt my girls and I WILL make you cry.

Turning on the Wayback Machine, the first time I met my mother in law, I had hair to my ass (in a neat pony tail), jeans with a couple holes (I was poor), and my pickup truck had a local band's "Rock with the rooster" bumper sticker.  :D

Twenty-five years later, she thinks a lot more of me.  :D

796947[/snapback]

Some of your statements, especially how you handle the "dates" and the "hurt my kids" comment make me proud to be a "codger". The Wayback Machine can also give you a real perspective on many of the "practices we preach" to our kids.

Thanks for an excellent message.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, who cares what a person wears? When a guy is dating my daughter, I want to see what is INSIDE that person.

796947[/snapback]

Jeffery Dahmler couldn't have said it any better

Turning on the Wayback Machine, the first time I met my mother in law, I had hair to my ass (in a neat pony tail), jeans with a couple holes (I was poor), and my pickup truck had a local band's "Rock with the rooster" bumper sticker.  :D

796947[/snapback]

I want that bumper sticker.....

I wonder what turn this thread will take next?

Lesson to be learned... there are a lot of old codgers lurking around here

Jeffery Dahmler couldn't have said it any better

I want that bumper sticker.....

796967[/snapback]

796947[/snapback]

I have one comment on this and one funny story.

The comment is ... why would you want to hurt someone if they made your girls cry? OK dont flame me yet - just listen. If its physical, thats one thing. But I have made girls cry before and their parents have gotten mad, and I didnt even know that I hurt them. It seems girls get mad over everything. Also. If a guy doesnt think its gonna work out and needs to end things and breaks up with her (for the best of both of them actually) and she cry's thats gonna make you hurt him? Kinda broad statement if you ask me.

The 2nd part is. Kinda funny story. It seems like Dads and older guys in general (not you, dont take this the wrong way) think they are the strongest people on earth. Someone I use to know (not really a friend) hurt his ex-girlfriends feelings by going on a rant about how she is a whore or whatever. Her dad met him at the doorstep when he came to appologize and proceded to push him a few times. Now if you know this guy, he was around 19-20 at the time (older than I was at the time), had a temper, and worked out (he was sculpted, but not jacked) ... this dad proceeded to swing at him, when the guy ducked his punch came right under him and gave him a bad upper-cut right before swinging over with his right hand and smashing the dads jaw in. This being said, I have also heard stories of Dads winning the fight. i just think its interesting that most Dads (including my own) think they are the strongest people in the world when it comes to their daughters. :devil:

i just think its interesting that most Dads (including my own) think they are the strongest people in the world when it comes to their daughters.  :devil:

797133[/snapback]

Come back around when you have a daughter of your own. You'll find out then.

The comment is ... why would you want to hurt someone if they made your girls cry? OK dont flame me yet - just listen. If its physical, thats one thing. But I have made girls cry before and their parents have gotten mad, and I didnt even know that I hurt them. It seems girls get mad over everything. Also. If a guy doesnt think its gonna work out and needs to end things and breaks up with her (for the best of both of them actually) and she cry's thats gonna make you hurt him? Kinda broad statement if you ask me.

The 2nd part is. Kinda funny story. It seems like Dads and older guys in general (not you, dont take this the wrong way) think they are the strongest people on earth. Someone I use to know (not really a friend) hurt his ex-girlfriends feelings by going on a rant about how she is a whore or whatever. Her dad met him at the doorstep when he came to appologize and proceded to push him a few times. Now if you know this guy, he was around 19-20 at the time (older than I was at the time), had a temper, and worked out (he was sculpted, but not jacked) ... this dad proceeded to swing at him, when the guy ducked his punch came right under him and gave him a bad upper-cut right before swinging over with his right hand and smashing the dads jaw in. This being said, I have also heard stories of Dads winning the fight. i just think its interesting that most Dads (including my own) think they are the strongest people in the world when it comes to their daughters.  :devil:

797133[/snapback]

Weren't you the touchy feely religious tolerance guy a couple of pages back?

Come back around when you have a daughter of your own. You'll find out then.

797138[/snapback]

And Im not questioning that I will have the same attitude when i have a daughter .... Im just saying that it is an interesting thing to see.

Weren't you the touchy feely religious tolerance guy a couple of pages back?

797158[/snapback]

I dont know about "touchy feely" but I do love my God ... and Im not really sure what me telling a story about someone has to do with that?? I dont think I have ever intentionally tried to injure someone ...

797133[/snapback]

I rarely flame anyone, especially when they pose intelligent questions and comments! :D

I do not get in the middle of the "drama queen" BS that is part of learning how to relate to others. There are guys that made my girls cry and I was happy they were cutting ties. You are right in that it was too broad of a statement. (pun intended? :lol: )

But there have been times when it was more than hurt feelings.

The 2nd part is. Kinda funny story. It seems like Dads and older guys in general (not you, dont take this the wrong way) think they are the strongest people on earth. Someone I use to know (not really a friend) hurt his ex-girlfriends feelings by going on a rant about how she is a whore or whatever. Her dad met him at the doorstep when he came to appologize and proceded to push him a few times. Now if you know this guy, he was around 19-20 at the time (older than I was at the time), had a temper, and worked out (he was sculpted, but not jacked) ... this dad proceeded to swing at him, when the guy ducked his punch came right under him and gave him a bad upper-cut right before swinging over with his right hand and smashing the dads jaw in. This being said, I have also heard stories of Dads winning the fight. i just think its interesting that most Dads (including my own) think they are the strongest people in the world when it comes to their daughters.   :lol:

I am not a large guy. I am not a fighter, unless cornered.

I am sure half the guys and maybe half the ladies on this forum could kick my butt in a fight. So I am not one of those codgers who wants to rumble with someone who may be thirty years younger than me!

One time someone put a real hurt on one of my daughters - nothing physical but unnecessary and emotionally cruel . This guy was a star football player in HS and college, a coach at the time too, and easily twice as strong as me. Hell his arms were larger than my thighs.

Without so much as touching him, my words and anger became like a physical force. I made him cry like a baby. He was beaten the moment he looked in my eyes.

There are many ways to hurt someone, but only if that is the last resort and well deserved.

I'll arm wrestle you though! :devil:

I rarely flame anyone, especially when they pose intelligent questions and comments!  :lol:

I do not get in the middle of the "drama queen" BS that is part of learning how to relate to others. There are guys that made my girls cry and I was happy they were cutting ties. You are right in that it was too broad of a statement. (pun intended?  :lol: )

But there have been times when it was more than hurt feelings.

I am not a large guy. I am not a fighter, unless cornered.

I am sure half the guys and maybe half the ladies on this forum could kick my butt in a fight. So I am not one of those codgers who wants to rumble with someone who may be thirty years younger than me!

One time someone put a real hurt on one of my daughters - nothing physical but unnecessary and emotionally cruel .  This guy was a star football player in HS and college, a coach at the time too, and easily twice as strong as me.  Hell his arms were larger than my thighs.

Without so much as touching him, my words and anger became like a physical force. I made him cry like a baby. He was beaten the moment he looked in my eyes.

There are many ways to hurt someone, but only if that is the last resort and well deserved.

I'll arm wrestle you though!  :devil:

797427[/snapback]

Haha! Great post man. Great post.