Revisiting the question of the return game

I would like to revisit the topic that lori and others tried to make me look dumb for talking about in week 1 or 2 ...

Well its the end of week 4 and moving onto week 5 and Terrence McGee is ranked 19th in the league and has had 12 returns for 280 yards and a 23.3 avg (his shortest avg in since his rookie season)

Anyone have any thoughts? EDIT: Anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing the drop in production?

I would like to revisit the topic that lori and others tried to make me look dumb for talking about in week 1 or 2 ...

793266[/snapback]

It wasn't the question that was dumb it was asking it after week 1.

London Fletcher isn't the lead blocker on kick off returns anymore. He mad a huge impact on that unit the last two seasons leveling people with devastating blocks. I believe the Bills have two returners back there instead now. Peters might not be on the return team anymore, either.

London Fletcher isn't the lead blocker on kick off returns anymore. He mad a huge impact on that unit the last two seasons leveling people with devastating blocks. I believe the Bills have two returners back there instead now. Peters might not be on the return team anymore, either.

793303[/snapback]

And the reason for this being, just because they dont want the chance of London getting injured??? Well its been 2 years and he has not goten injured, so I say they stick him back there. A return can change the whole momentum of a game.

Well its the end of week 4 and moving onto week 5 and Terrence McGee is ranked 19th in the league and has had 12 returns for 280 yards and a 23.3 avg (his shortest avg in since his rookie season)

Anyone have any thoughts? EDIT: Anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing the drop in production?

793266[/snapback]

Well, it's nice to break the big ones. But if your special teams are not making big mistakes, and getting reasonable field position and not giving the opponent a bunch of good yards, they are a success.

Also, the Bills have done well in not giving up a ton of points. So, fewer opportunities for McGee.

Well, it's nice to break the big ones. But if your special teams are not making big mistakes, and getting reasonable field position and not giving the opponent a bunch of good yards, they are a success.

Also, the Bills have done well in not giving up a ton of points. So, fewer opportunities for McGee.

794930[/snapback]

I am not sure yet what the problem is. It could be, as some here have stated, that the absence of Peters and Fletcher on the return team is the problem.

Going into last week's game, I thought the problem MIGHT be that we were playing teams in our own division who have seen a lot of McGee and had come up with ways to limit his returns. Against Minnesota, he only had three chances (after the first FG in the first quarter which came after a pretty long, sustained drive where McGee was on the field playing CB), after halftime, and after the lone Minnesota TD.

It could be fatigue (playing fulltime at CB) is having an impact. It could be personnel changes. I seem to recall that LAST year, McGee's return number were down later in the year....is that correct? Maybe the league is catching up to the Bills. Still, I expect Terrence to break a long one...soon. Maybe this Sunday?

Yeh, baby!!

Remember, the better the defense plays, the fewer the returns. Fine with me

Go Bills!

-RnJ

12 returns STILL is really enough to be worried about.

Right now, he's basically the middle of the pack.

The fact that the last two years he's been statistically the best doesn't mean is IS the best, just AMONG the best. (Bear in mind that this refers as much to our entire return unit as just him.) If he only ends up avging 26 or 27 yds by the end of the season, I'll be very satisfied & comfortable in proclaiming him still among the best.

W/ only 12 returns, that means that every 12 yds on a particular return changes his avg 1 yd. If he takes his next return to the house, he's up around 30/ret. Had Shelton been able to be more effective on one of those plays that we were referring to earlier, it easily possibly amounted to another 20-25 yards. That would put his avg at about 25, which is quite good.

12 is just not a sufficient quantity to be statistically relevant.

Now, do we want to take about the fact that Moorman has among the lowest avgs in the league? :rolleyes:

Now, do we want to take about the fact that Moorman has among the lowest avgs in the league? :rolleyes:

794962[/snapback]

Yep. Also tied for 4th in fewest punts returned. And no touchbacks. Seems the 2 home games were a bit on the windy side, too... :P

I'm not sure punter stats mean much over only 4 games.

It seems to me that McGee is trying a bit too hard to juke back there - he's trying to make returns like that one against the Pats last year where he almost scored - instead of just streaking down the field like he has successfully done other times.

Roscoe - I've never been too impressed with. Does anyone think Clements should be back there?

inkman, you are a credit to this board.  Thank you for that well reasoned reply.

795103[/snapback]

Well, if you remember correctly, Nate had more problems handling the rock than little Roscoe. Dude put it on the carpet all the !@#$ing time. I hate to say it, but I feel losing Nate would really hurt the D. Losing Roscoe, not a big deal.

Parrish led the league in return avg last year and I think has a good chance to do it a well this year. I also think he will break one or two before the season is over.

ink I agree with you that if Roscoe Parrish gets hurt, the defense would not suffer.

:rolleyes:

But I think you need to get your best players on the field and not be scared of them getting hurt those extra five-ten plays a game.

Also, if you look at the stats, Clements fumbles one of every 10 returns, Roscoe one of every 4.