Villarial went down today.........

He at least can pull some, I don't wanna sound COMPLETLY negative, but as a guard, you gotta be able to get SOME push on straight ahead runs and hold your ground in pass protection. As for coming in as relief, YOU PREPARE AS IF YOU ARE THE STARTER. I just want better Oline play, is that so bad?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He at least can pull some, I don't wanna sound COMPLETLY negative, but as a guard, you gotta be able to get SOME push on straight ahead runs and hold your ground in pass protection. As for coming in as relief, YOU PREPARE AS IF YOU ARE THE STARTER. I just want better Oline play, is that so bad?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No, that's not so bad. But as I said, killing a guy who came off the bench in relief of the starter, without getting starting reps in practice, and going against Pro Bowl caliber DT's is pretty harsh. If he looks as inconsistent next weekend (when he'll be facing some pretty good DT's again), then you'll be correct to call him a bust.

791759[/snapback]

we tried to run the ball up the gut all day, with preston and before he came in.......the result was the same -- the williams boys were there to stuff it......even if we had hutch lining up at RG for us, your not going to move 700 pounds out of the way and your not going to get the "push" your after........i don't mind sticking with the run between the tackles, but you can't expect much there..........

i was impressed by duke......he made a GREAT block on the peerless TD, JP followed him for a key first down on 3rd and short (did you miss the push he got on that?), and he faired quite well on many 2nd half blitzes from a desperate vikings D that was daring JP to put them away.........

yes, he got schooled by all-pro kevin williams on that sack.......but in case you don't watch the vikes, he does that to vets every week as well

Actually, I wish they would have just kept working him at center, where he was drafted. I don't think he is a bust, but he is a career backup guard at best who could turn out to be a marginal starter at center. But hey, we went almost all D this draft so I'll admit I am nitpicking just a little........but believe this: I'll freak out EVEN MORE than BillFromNYC if we don't pick a guard within the first 3 rounds next draft. :doh:

Probably not Ramius, and I'm happy for the win today ChicagoRic, just commenting on something I've felt and posted on for a while now. AND I'M NO TROLL!!!!!! :doh: I'm very happy for the win too, and I've got 11 beers in me to prove it :lol: Excuse me, I'm gonna go get the next one. B-)

Yes, Kevin Williams is awesome. I'm just sayin' this is not the only time this has happened. He is not a guard. I have never seen a push on the right side with him in there.

791726[/snapback]

On the last Bills drive they ran three straight times to the right for the first down to eat the clock. I do agree that Preston whiffed on his first play in, giving up a sack to Williams. But let's see how he does when given a chance to start before we throw him under the bus.

Not to overstate the obvious, but the mark of a quality team is the ability of its backups to fill in well where needed. During a typical season, at least one starter is going to get hurt. I think that especially with the length of the season, the team that wins the superbowl is the one with the best backups.

FormerlyGuestJason76: 11 beers is a fine contribution and every fan's duty!

You've served with distinction.

Don't go overboard ans4e64, he's worked at G since he's been here and they are two of many great DT's in the league. I just don't like him at G. Now get over here and BEER ME! :doh:

791781[/snapback]

I agree that ans4 should not go overboard, but I also think that to trot out an I told you so in regards to judging whether Preston is going to be a suitable replacement for an injured CV based on his coming in for relief against a Pro Bowl level DT with Phat Pat playing next to him is also going overboard on your part.

To date, I think the scoop in Preston is that:

1. He was an early pick on the second day of the draft as a C which I think generally means that his college play earned him high expectations that he would give an immediate contribution to the team, but it would be as a back-up at best his frst year and and as an ST player.

He did not disappoint with his first season play as he saw considerable time on ST and as a back-up to an oft-injured CV st RG and even got a start when CV could not answer the call in a game last year.

2. This year he plays a role as back-up C tp Fowler on the depth chart, but more importantly has shown the ability to play G as well as he most likely is going to be asked to fill in for CV who clearly is on the backside of his career.

Overall, he had an up and down game today with K. Williams simply beating him once but even the announcers noticed a nice downfield block by him on PP's TD. The running game was stalled much of the day, but it is notable and simply the facts that WM rolled up enough yards to make this an OK day by him with Preston in there.

A reasonable judgment can be made about him next week after:

A. He gets all the reps with the rest of the OL in practice.

B. He prepares like a starter for his D opponents (among them Big Ted) with the Bears and of great import, Fowler and Peters beside him prepare with the plan in mind that they are going to need to look out for the back0up.

C. Fairchild develops a rushing plan which takes into account the strengths and weaknesses of Preston in arranging the blocking scheme and working out the game plan for this opponent.

I think drawing any conclusions at this point is pretty clearly going overboard.

Um, here ya go Kevin Williams, please sack JP. No push on running plays, being pushed backwards on running plays......need anything else?

791717[/snapback]

So you're evaluating him on 1 play or 1 game? If that is the standard for evaluating players then the entire NFL sucks.

If I were to evaluate you from 1 post then I would say that you suck as well.

Sorry to bring up nonrelevant 26 year old facts/opinions, but who here would like to trade Duke Preston for Jim Ritcher? Ritcher was an Outland Trophy winner who couldn't block for s#it in his first few years with the Bills. It took Jim Ringo a whole lot of work to turn him into what we eventually saw in the late '80s - Super Bowl years. I know the league is different today, but people/players are (sometimes) not. Some take longer to develop, but fortunately some coaches see a certain potential to stay the course.

I am not blameless either, as I had been calling for Josh Reed's head for three years. I see things differently now.

Still would rather have Larry Centers or Sam Gash over Shelton, though.

Ha - nice catch.  But yeah, I've never understood why people pretend like they're watching specific OLmen during the game.

791731[/snapback]

That is one of the chronic diseases of TBD... and other message boards as well... and radio shows. Men pretending that they can identify individual plays by OLinemen from watching the game... Glenn Parker and Dusty Ziegler can tell you how they were run out of town by those types of pseudo-analysts, only to thrive in other places.

On the last Bills drive they ran three straight times to the right for the first down to eat the clock.  I do agree that Preston whiffed on his first play in, giving up a sack to Williams.  But let's see how he does when given a chance to start before we throw him under the bus.

791789[/snapback]

Shhhhhh. It's fun to watch this stuff. No reason to introduce facts...

I know on at least 1 play, Duke looked like a barroom door when the guy went and sacked JP.

791720[/snapback]

It is hard for a OL to come in the middle of the game, when he has not had reps with the other 4 in the starting line up. Let him practive with Folwer and Peters this week and see how he performs, before flushing him down the toilet. The Bears DTs will be a good test for Preston.

Preston is just like JP. He needs the reps to prove that he can play. Until he gets that it is hard to judge him. He may work out or not, but it is time to find out.