Spikes

5 Wide

More experience for the young guys.  Not the end of the world.

783066[/snapback]

May be they will announce him in the starting lineup to pump up the crowd and also to put the Jets in some sort of commotion and then take him off after a few plays.

Could be preventative too. A guy like Spikes doesn't need a whole lot of snaps to be ready for Sunday. Chances are he's out but seeing him play wouldn't be a big surprise.

Where's that crossed fingers smiley?

I agree with Simon as there's not much 11 on 11 Spikes really needs to be ready for the assignments on Sunday, however if one more week of rest = 13 regular season games then it's worth it. Besides, the achilles just got 2 more weeks of rehab too.

They don't need him.  The Jets aren't as big an offensive threat as the Pats or Dols, especially at home.  And if it's going to rain, forget it!

783099[/snapback]

tell ya what, i just watched the Jets-pats game last night, and the Jets offense is pretty good. They had some drops, but the wideouts look pretty good to me, running game not so much. My guess is we will play more press coverage on them and force Chad to throw longer passes, which coould burn us with some big plays. Both of the Jets TDs were short passes with busted tackles, Chad still has not shown the ability to throw the ball more than 30 yds in the air.

On the flip side, NY couldn't cover the TEs of NE, and I would assume that is where a big part of our passing game plan will be focused. I think the Bills OL can handle the Jets OL without keeping the TE in to block, and we should be able to exploit the LBs in coverage. My gut tells lot of Royal in the first half establishing the run, then KE with some long seam passes in the 2nd half

My guess is we will play more press coverage on them and force Chad to throw longer passes, which coould burn us with some big plays.

783212[/snapback]

0:) Im sorry I agree with the premise of your post but I just found this amusing. I really dont see the jets offense as being good. This is one case where numbers definitly lie. Like you pointed out. Short passes with busted tackles. And like lori pointed out in her preview only 6 of penningtons 70 passes have gone over 20 yards. The Tampa 2 defense by its very design was created to stall a wco short passing game. With the jets inability to run the ball, and penningtons noodle arm combined with the speed of our defense I think this will be a long day for the jets. Establish the run on offense and I see no reason we cant win this handidly.

I`d say more than less. Must be worse than their letting on,same with Bowen.Love to have the beast on the field. I got a feeling this one`s going to take awhile. 0:)

783205[/snapback]

Yeah, I also have a bad feeling this is a "worse than you think/linger all season" injury circa Moulds' groin 2003 :P

Could be preventative too. A guy like Spikes doesn't need a whole lot of snaps to be ready for Sunday. Chances are he's out but seeing him play wouldn't be a big surprise.

Where's that crossed fingers smiley?

783095[/snapback]

Normally I'd agree, but Spikes hasn't exactly had a lot of playing time in training camp and pre-season. The guy could use all the reps he could get in this new system. I'm guessing, and hoping, he sits for another week. A hammy can bother a player the entire year if they attempt to come back from it too quickly.

...we're talking about Takeo Spikes for christ's sake!! Even if he hadn't played a down in a over a year he'd step in and be better than 85% of the other LBs in the league. Some guys are just natural born players and never miss a beat. Besides, he just overcame an inury that most players would never come back from, so I'm pretty sure a hamstring injury isn't going to stop him.

More experience for the young guys.  Not the end of the world.

783066[/snapback]

That's for sure!

I am in no way downplaying the impact that TKO has on our defense. Moreover, I truly consider him (no unbridled optimism here 0:) ) to be a Hall of Fame linebacker.

The jests do not have a particularly good ground game. This is our home opener, and as you said, the young guys can use the experience. It's all good....this week.

Next week is an entirely different story. The Vikes have a very efficient QB who plays behind a monsterous offensive line. If there is any doubt at all, now is NOT the time to risk the health of a truly great defensive player.

I guess we are on the same page every now and then, no? :P