Mort Chat

Rico

Link

Brad 9NM): Hey Mort..as a Bills fan I'm ecstatic about their start as they could be and perhaps should be 2-0 at this point. Is the AFC East up for grabs in your mind?

Chris Mortensen: You know, I think there's hope. I have been very impressed. Even before the season, I had coaches and personnel people in their division that believed their talent was much better than people gave them credit for - and a lot of them are the leftovers from the prior regime. ...another blog item later.

:blush::lol: More TD love on the way!

Link

Brad 9NM): Hey Mort..as a Bills fan I'm ecstatic about their start as they could be and perhaps should be 2-0 at this point. Is the AFC East up for grabs in your mind?

Chris Mortensen: You know, I think there's hope. I have been very impressed. Even before the season, I had coaches and personnel people in their division that believed their talent was much better than people gave them credit for

780727[/snapback]

Don't tell Roscoe P. Coltrain that...he'll friggin' explode.

Link

Chris Mortensen: You know, I think there's hope. I have been very impressed. Even before the season, I had coaches and personnel people in their division that believed their talent was much better than people gave them credit for - and a lot of them are the leftovers from the prior regime. ...another blog item later.

:blush:  :lol: More TD love on the way!

780727[/snapback]

To be fair he's right. Denny, Kelsey, McGahee, Fletcher, Spikes, Crowell, Clements, McGee, Evans, Losman...all these guys are "leftovers" from TD and are significant contributors to this year’s team. That being said Mort would have to be out of his mind to see that the coaching staff is putting these players in a better position to succeed than the previous coaching staff.

TD did a pretty good job at stocking the team with some good players (with the exception of the OL). Of course, a big part of being a GM is making sure that you hire the right HC and TD failed at that twice. TD deserved to be fired but don't go thinking that every single move he made with the Bills was a horrible decision.

To be fair he's right.  Denny, Kelsey, McGahee, Fletcher, Spikes, Crowell, Clements, McGee, Evans, Losman...all these guys are "leftovers" from TD and are significant contributors to this year’s team.  That being said Mort would have to be out of his mind to see that the coaching staff is putting these players in a better position to succeed than the previous coaching staff.

This is totally true. Why Mort had to mention it however, is what's so funny.

Link

780727[/snapback]

Thanks for the post!

Chris Mortenson is the new pig faced saten in my view!!

I hope his chat didn't interfere with his daily "love fest" with Donahoe!!

Definition of snap:

Sound mAde when Mortenson unbuttons Donahoe's jeans.

Link

780727[/snapback]

I think TD got some of the right groceries but our cooks (coaches) couldn't put the main course together.

DJ and staff have put the players in a situation to excel.

Mort's cooked either anyway he tries to spin the revisionist history. If he says the holdover players are the reason for this year's success, he tacitly acknowledges that poor coaching was a factor in the team's meltdown last year--and it was good 'ol Whitey who was responsible for picking MM (and Grego before him).

I am actually okay with this Mort kiss. This roster has some significant TD era talent. Everyone is going to make mistakes in the draft, but we had a few big hits--McGee, Crowell (who is by the way really, really good in this new system); Schobel and its ironic how guys like Kelsay and Denney are thriving in a new system. Plus Fletcher and Spikes. Evans is a keeper; McGahee was a significant risk that has probably exceeded expectation.

The Oline as CTM points out is the big whoops for the TD era..and its amazing how some supposed 2nd level/cast off talent in Reyes and Fowler has helped a bit here--still not wonderful -- but okay.

As to all the TD culture stuff--how it was a bad work environment--I think we need a few more games under our belt to see how much the mood has really changed.

I am expecting that the President of the warriors of Western Pennsyltucky will post on this thread--defending the honor of one of his field generals in TD -- so I wanted to help make the bridge transition from the be nasty to TD thread.

The problem isn't that TD found players that can still contribute to the team.  The problem is that he never found offensive linemen that could contribute to the line.

780800[/snapback]

He did bring in Peters, Gandy, and Villarial/Preston though.

Donahoe's biggest failure was his inability to put even a semi-competent staff together (except Bobby April).

It's a fact that the majority of this team was either drafted or acquired by Tom Donahoe. When they perform well, you have to give him at least some margin of credit for it, and Mort does - and the fact that this is isn't conventional wisdom at this point justifies his bringing it up.

However, there's still more to it than that. Donahoe brought these guys, but couldn't put a winning season together. And there are several well-defined reasons for it:

a.) He didn't bring in a coach that could work with his players

b.) He didn't pay attention to the offensive line.

c.) He didn't accurately assess the needs of the team. The Bills defense collapsed last year, due to several problems that Marv addressed and Donahoe didn't. Maybe it was too soon to tell, but the safeties got old, and we had no real depth (say what you will about Leonhard and Baker). Sam Adams got old and Tim Anderson wasn't ready. And of course, there's Jerry Gray. On offense, he threw Losman in before he was ready, and once that was done, he never got a chance to redeem himself. This could be blamed on Mularkey (and therefore, TD)

I am expecting that the President of the warriors of Western Pennsyltucky will post on this thread--defending the honor of one of his field generals in TD -- so I wanted to help make the bridge transition from the be nasty to TD thread.

I'm hanging back for a while because for some reason I get the sense that folks are getting sick of my horseshlt;-)

TD overall knew good players and talent--and the roster shows that. I think most reasonable Bills fans would agree with that. However, his coaching decisions were horrible. The coaches and the whole aura around the program were terrible. One winning record in 5 year (or 4 years as I give him a pass on the first year).

TD overall knew good players and talent--and the roster shows that. 

780937[/snapback]

I think that we're still a bit giddy about the MIA win. Even though the Bills (finally) have better coaching, IMO the talent is still average at best. That's often good enough in today's NFL, but not a lot to crow about.

Clements, Fletcher, McGee, McGahee, Evans, Spikes I believe are all better than average. I agree that talent across the league is probably pretty equal. That's why coaching, will to win and play and the mental makeup of the team is soooo important, and obviously coaching. That was the major (and it's a big negative) of the TD era. He knows talented guys, and personnel wise he was an okay GM.

The problem isn't that TD found players that can still contribute to the team.  The problem is that he never found offensive linemen that could contribute to the line.

780800[/snapback]

Or maybe he just couldn't find a coach, to coach the talent that was there?