Dick Jauron?

The Big Cat

I just moved from Erie to Chicago. I was watching the Monday night game in a bar here and told the bartender how much I love to see the Steelers lose. He agreed then asked me why I don't root for Pittsburgh and I pointed to the Bills hat which I wear proudly here in the midwest.

I then asked him if he was Bears fan. He told me he was, and that he attended the Detroit game on Sunday. Assuming that going to a Bears game-because of the high cost of a Soldier field ticket-was not as trite and un-game related as a day at Wriggley, I was under the impression that this particular bartender was, in fact, a viable Bears fan. It's tough to measure NFL fans next to a Buffalo template, but I was willing to believe that this guy actually knew someTHING about his home team.

So I said, "Hey, man, we're very grateful for Dicky J."

To which he replied, with a sarcastic smile, "Have fun with that."

"You're not a fan?" I asked.

Without delay, the barender shook his head "no."

What's that all about?

Does anyone know what might have happened here in Chicago to make a person, who I assume to be a fan, dislike a coach whose gaining popularity in a city not known for its expeditious allegiance to a non-Marv Levy coaching regime?

Remember Dick J took the Bears to a 13-3 season (2001) and promptly got hosed by the Eagles in the playoffs 19-33...

2002 season they were 4-12...

Besides that... Bears fans are brutal... Not like it is in Buffalo, many, MANY never even stepped foot in Soldier Field... And I am talking older people too...

Going to a Bears' game as a kid I guess is saved for the select few... I have been here since 1992... Never seen a blackout... I think the last one was pre-Ditka, 1980's... The waiting list for season tix has got to be in the 1,000's, if not 10's of 1,000's???

Come October... I hope the Bills throttle the Bears!

:blush::blink:

when a guy leaves the team, u always hate them.........it happens.

778912[/snapback]

Also, just look around at your peers here. Some here if asked about Levy would reply exactly the same way. One voice is not a majority....though it might be.

I just moved from Erie to Chicago.  I was watching the Monday night game in a bar here and told the bartender how much I love to see the Steelers lose.  He agreed then asked me why I don't root for Pittsburgh and I pointed to the Bills hat which I wear proudly here in the midwest.

I then asked him if he was  Bears fan.  He told me he was, and that he attended the Detroit game on Sunday.  Assuming that going to a Bears game-because of the high cost of a Soldier field ticket-was not as trite and un-game related as a day at Wriggley, I was under the impression that this particular bartender was, in fact, a viable Bears fan.  It's tough to measure NFL fans next to a Buffalo template, but I was willing to believe that this guy actually knew someTHING about his home team. 

What's that all about?

Does anyone know what might have happened here in Chicago to make a person, who I assume to be a fan, dislike a coach whose gaining popularity in a city not known for its expeditious allegiance to a non-Marv Levy coaching regime?

778899[/snapback]

I have lived in Chicago since '94. Dick Jauron was hired by the GM previous to current GM Jerry Angelo. In Angelo's 2nd year (maybe 1st year), the Bear's went 13-3 and won the division. Most people think they over-achieved that year based on the talent on the team. Jauron was reluctantly given a contract extension by Angelo who many feel wanted his own hand-picked coach in there. The Bear's had a horrible season the following year with many injuries to starters and Jauron was then on the hot seat. DJ came out publically in support of his assistant coaches when nearly everyone wanted John Shoop and Greg Blache canned. Speculation that Angelo wanted them out too but Jauron would not budge. I think Dick held on for another season and again the Bears did not win and he was fired. Other speculation was that Jauron and Angelo disagreed over a number of personnel decisions. I will say that when the bears were losing, DJ was just horrible publically showing no emotion in a town that craves Ditka-like intensity from the coach. DJ was his usual even-keeled polite self in the face of terrible critism. Fans in Chicago were glad to see him go at the time, but there are players and media members that still show strong support for DJ. Angelo, incidentally tried to hire Nick Saban, but got Lovie Smith as a second choice.

I just moved from Erie to Chicago.  I was watching the Monday night game in a bar here and told the bartender how much I love to see the Steelers lose.  He agreed then asked me why I don't root for Pittsburgh and I pointed to the Bills hat which I wear proudly here in the midwest.

I then asked him if he was  Bears fan.  He told me he was, and that he attended the Detroit game on Sunday.  Assuming that going to a Bears game-because of the high cost of a Soldier field ticket-was not as trite and un-game related as a day at Wriggley, I was under the impression that this particular bartender was, in fact, a viable Bears fan.  It's tough to measure NFL fans next to a Buffalo template, but I was willing to believe that this guy actually knew someTHING about his home team. 

What's that all about?

778899[/snapback]

Bears fans will always hate any coach not named Ditka

Also, just look around at your peers here.  Some here if asked about Levy would reply exactly the same way.  One voice is not a majority....though it might be.

778919[/snapback]

On this note, I have a good reply. I have a good friend who is born/raised in Chicago. I quizzed him right after we announced the hiring of Dick Jauron, and his reply was "Here's the rub. His allegiance to an awful OC (Shoop) was obvious and frustrating when it was apparent that the OC couldn't get teh job done. On top of that, his teams were horrible to watch--boring offense, no spark, and your team will end up just good enough to miss all the top flight draft choices".

He indicated he felt Jauron was a quality guy, but not a good head coach.

My best friend is a Bears fan. What did Jauron, and his Bears in, with the fans, was his apparent loyalty to his OC, whose name has escaped me at the moment. He was not a guy who knew how to adapt his game plan to the talent he had...for the Bears, that offensive talent was not much, and has not been much, for most of my 41 years on this planet. My buddy also thinks Jauron was too conservative, and had a very dull offensive team. My buddy seems to overlook that the Bears have not had any offensive talent in eons...by the end of his tenure in Chicago, Jauron had almost no say in personel, and it was apparent the new GM wanted to can him...he couldn't though, because the Bears were coming off of a 13-3 season, in which Jauron was coach of the year. So he simply didn't give Jauron any help, so he couldn't help but fail.

I will go on record as claiming that I have wanted Jauron to coch the Bills since Gregg Williams was fired. I sort of casualy follow the Bears, and always heard people whose football opinions I trust, rave about what great football coach Dick Jauron was. Most who were in the know at the time seemed to feel that Jauron got royally screwed in Chicago..

778899[/snapback]

I have a great idea. Ask the bartender. :blush:

Oh... Imagine if 1985 never happened? They be in the same shape as the Bills the last 46 years, even worse! Just imagine if McMahon never had a horseshoe up his arse? Ditka would send out the play and Jimbo would change the play and it worked... That would steam Ditka!

They had ONE golden year where all the stars aligned and everybody falls all over the Bears...

You know who I blame? The FUGGIN' PATS!

If they wouldn't have beaten the damn Dolphins in the playoffs that year and fluked into the damn SB... Marino and company would have exposed the 46 defense!

So blame the Pats and this damn love affair with Chicago football, a poison combination!

:blush::blink::doh:

You know who I blame?  The FUGGIN' PATS!

If they wouldn't have beaten the damn Dolphins in the playoffs that year and fluked into the damn SB... Marino and company would have exposed the 46 defense!

778953[/snapback]

And we'd want that... why?

What's that all about?

778899[/snapback]

I live in Chicago. Jauron had one good season with the Bears in 2001, but his overall record of 35-46 didn't sit well with a lot of people. To often he was criticized for being to careful in his offensive play calling. I think that after 2001-2002 season he lost some key players, (Ted Washington comes off the top of my head) and didn't capitalize the next year. I think there were some high expectation after the 13-3 season in 2001 and they didn't work out.