Dick Jauron?

The Big Cat

Bears fans think Jauron is a tool.  But then Browns fans thought Bill Belichick was an idiot too.

PTR

778911[/snapback]

And I remember that very, very well. There are still some in Cleveland who ultimately blame Belichick for the Browns' move.

I blame the media in this town, who hated BB since he was the type who was monosyllabic in press conferences and treated reporters as if they were lice. Much like Bill Parcells still does, but hey, Parcells was much more successful than BB had been in the early 90s.

So, I think a LOT of the news media in this town criticized him mercilessly in print since Belichick really wasn't very nice to them. And they convinced the fans that BB was an idiot. During that time, I thought, be careful what you wish for, this guy may be successful someplace else.

And that's exactly what happened. :pirate:

I've taken everything the media in Cleveland have said with a grain of salt ever since. Not a single one of these old heads has ever admitted they were wrong about Bill Belichick and his coaching abilities.

Mike

Bears fans are bad fans. I live in Chicago as well, they're are all Johnny Come Lately Fairweather fans regarding the Bears. They actually believe that a coach can go from Coach Of The Year, to an idiot overnight. DJ did not manage the QB situation well when he was here, yet he will be the 1st to admit that. The Bear fans have never forgiven him for that. He also battled with the GM at the time over persoannel issues. There is an underground belief here in town that the GM at the time actually made horrible personnel decisions to undermine DJ and get him axed...but that is strictly a conspiracy theory...one that I happen to believe as well, but there's no factual evidence to that.

That's my take from being here in Chicago since 2002.

Delilah's on Lincoln is the best Bills Backers bar in the country. Be there on Sunday for a Jets' A$$ WHOOPIN!!

Bears fans are bad fans. I live in Chicago as well, they're are all Johnny Come Lately Fairweather fans regarding the Bears. They actually believe that a coach can go from Coach Of The Year, to an idiot overnight. DJ did not manage the QB situation well when he was here, yet he will be the 1st to admit that. The Bear fans have never forgiven him for that. He also battled with the GM at the time over persoannel issues. There is an underground belief here in town that the GM at the time actually made horrible personnel decisions to undermine DJ and get him axed...but that is strictly a conspiracy theory...one that I happen to believe as well, but there's no factual evidence to that.

That's my take from being here in Chicago since 2002.

Delilah's on Lincoln is the best Bills Backers bar in the country. Be there on Sunday for a Jets' A$$ WHOOPIN!!

779096[/snapback]

I've been going to Lincoln Station?

Bears fans think Jauron is a tool.  But then Browns fans thought Bill Belichick was an idiot too.

PTR

778911[/snapback]

Now that is encouraging.

Oh... Imagine if 1985 never happened?  They be in You know who I blame?   The FUGGIN' PATS!

If they wouldn't have beaten the damn Dolphins in the playoffs that year and fluked into the damn SB... Marino and company would have exposed the 46 defense!

So blame the Pats and this damn love affair with Chicago football, a poison combination!

:pirate:  :lol:  ;)

778953[/snapback]

So wait, Super Bowl Shuffle vs. Marino getting a ring and you'd be in favor of the latter? Say it ain't so!

I've been going to Lincoln Station?

779161[/snapback]

I'm back in Buffalo now...but lived in Chicago for six years....definetely go to Delilah's in Chicago for the Bills games.

One time when I watched the game there- Marv Levy's wife and daughter came to watch a Bills game with us.

As most people know Marv is from Chicago and lived(probably still has a place there)in between his stints with the Bills.

I live in Chicago.  Jauron had one good season with the Bears in 2001, but his overall record of 35-46 didn't sit well with a lot of people.  To often he was criticized for being to careful in his offensive play calling. I think that after 2001-2002 season he lost some key players, (Ted Washington comes off the top of my head) and didn't capitalize the next year.  I think there were some high expectation after the 13-3 season in 2001 and they didn't work out.

778993[/snapback]

I think Rosie Colvin is another guy Angelo didn't resign.

Dick Jauron's record with the Bears (5 seasons) = 35-46.

Bill Belichick's record with the Browns (5 seasons) = 37-45.

Both coaches had one playoff appearance -- DJ 0-1, BB 1-1 in those seasons.

Some similarities there, it seems.

I used to live in Chicago and my brother-in-law lives in Illinois, a big Bears fan and season ticket holder.

I find it interesting that his opinion on DJ is basically the same as I've read here. Loyal to a fault with his poor choices for coordinators, conservative and boring on offense, and didn't work well with Angelo. He was happy to see him go.

I do get the feeling that DJ's second stint as HC will be a lot like others...I'm guessing he learned from his mistakes and knows how to motivate his players. I like what he's done, but I'm also reserving judgement until he's been here for a couple of years.

This offseason I stated that the Bills are at least two good offseasons away from becoming a real contender. I'm happy with the first offseason, but we still have a bunch of holes that need to be addressed. I'll be interested to see how we play and finish this year, and next offseason will be incredibly important. I think if we give DJ at least 3 years to show us what he's made of, he'll reward us.

With a few rare exceptions it seems to me that HC's do better the second time around (not always the case but I think there are examples)

Some HC's end up not being a good fit somewhere....go somewhere else learn from their mistakes and end up being decent HC's....

It all has to do with the Assist coaches they hire under them and how well they work together with the talent they have been given....

So far....I like what I see

Dick Jauron's record with the Bears (5 seasons) = 35-46.

Bill Belichick's record with the Browns (5 seasons) = 37-45.

Both coaches had one playoff appearance -- DJ 0-1, BB 1-1 in those seasons.

Some similarities there, it seems.

Marv Levy's record with Kansas City (5 seasons) = 31-42.

No playoffs.

I'm just saying....

It happens here too. Wade Phillips had a won 30 games in 3 years and people paid more attention to the fact that he didn't wear a headset. 6 years later, the Bills have yet to post a playoff-caliber season.

I just moved from Erie to Chicago.  I was watching the Monday night game in a bar here and told the bartender how much I love to see the Steelers lose.  He agreed then asked me why I don't root for Pittsburgh and I pointed to the Bills hat which I wear proudly here in the midwest.

I then asked him if he was  Bears fan.  He told me he was, and that he attended the Detroit game on Sunday.  Assuming that going to a Bears game-because of the high cost of a Soldier field ticket-was not as trite and un-game related as a day at Wriggley, I was under the impression that this particular bartender was, in fact, a viable Bears fan.  It's tough to measure NFL fans next to a Buffalo template, but I was willing to believe that this guy actually knew someTHING about his home team. 

So I said, "Hey, man, we're very grateful for Dicky J."

To which he replied, with a sarcastic smile, "Have fun with that."

"You're not a fan?" I asked.

Without delay, the barender shook his head "no." 

What's that all about?

Does anyone know what might have happened here in Chicago to make a person, who I assume to be a fan, dislike a coach whose gaining popularity in a city not known for its expeditious allegiance to a non-Marv Levy coaching regime?

778899[/snapback]

PTR

778911[/snapback]

Keep in mind, a fair number here thought Jauron was a "tool" until a few weeks ago....what a difference two solid games make...the Bills appear to be on the right track, but there will be some bad weeks thrown into the mix as well...people are getting a little too delusional...

Keep in mind, a fair number here thought Jauron was a "tool" until a few weeks ago....what a difference two solid games make...

779394[/snapback]

Chicago fans probably chuckled when the Bills won with Losman under 100 yards passing and Willis under 100 yards rushing. It's something I can get used to but as expectations rise and close losses pop up (like the coulda' at New England), the Bear fan attitude won't seem so foreign.

It was a great hire for a football town (so it's only 50-50 someone starts calling him "Walking Dead Man" by week 14).

While Chicago fans may have a botched memory of more losses than wins, they should also remember that DJ had to deal with the cards he was dealt. My recollections of DJ's tenure in Chicago are tied to the research I did on him when he looked like a viable contender for the Buffalo HC job back in 2004.

Everyone remembers the 2001 Coach of the Year stint. However, 2002 was more than just a coming back down to earth situation for the Bears. They had to deal with a ridiculous number of injuries that season -- and played 16 road games that year. Recall that Soldier Field was being ronovated, and the Bears had to play their home games in Gary, Indiana I believe -- which isn't exactly 10 minutes from Chicago.

DJ was touted as an overachiever in 2003 for getting a severely undermanned unit (as a result of injuries and poor decisions made by Angelo in free agency) to finish 7-9. For comparison's sake, think about how our very own Bills underachieved under Gregg Williams to the tune of 6-10 that same year.

If they wouldn't have beaten the damn Dolphins in the playoffs that year and fluked into the damn SB... Marino and company would have exposed the 46 defense!

No way in hell Miami rips Buddy Ryan's D twice in two months that year. The Bears would have adjusted -- and been super pissed -- and crushed Miami.

Lincoln Station is too nice of a place. Not enough cheering, and hardcore Bills fans in my mind....Delilah's is dark, dirty, rambunctious, and downright DIRTY....it's everything a Bills bar should be. We get nasty in there. Dan Marino s*cking is always a target whether we are playing the Dolphins or not. Simply walk in there during ANY GAME we are playing and scream "DAN MARINO" at the top of your lungs, and the ENTIRE bar in unison will reply "SUCKS!!!!" When we score, the Shout song blasts. Before kickoff, the "We're talkin proud" song blasts to get us feeling good about ourselves, and the "Sabre Dance" plays at halftime. Need I say more?

Get your A$$ there for the aforementioned Jets' A$$ WHOOPIN!