What do you think the chances are that S Merriman

TDRupp

What do you think the chances are that S Merriman is an active steriod user?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the chances are that S Merriman is an active steriod user?

• 25% chance
    • 50% chance
    • 75% chance
    • 90% chance

I say this based only on how huge and fast and mean the guy is and not based on anything else.  I think the guy is a freak of nature!

770284[/snapback]

my answer: 75%

just my two cents that is also based on a belief that the NFL guys use them more than is being caught/reported.

I got ridiculed pretty heavily when I suggested 50% of the NFL used steroids back in 1998/99 time frame.... (Marcellus Wiley putting on 75 lbs in an uber-short period of time was the focal point).

My guess is that 50% is too low...

I'd say it's 0%.  If he's using something its HGH as it's undetectable at this point.

770298[/snapback]

I think most people, including myself, are using the term steroids as a generic term for performance enhancing substances.

Coming from someone who has used them in the past and is extremly well studied on the subject I would say 50%. His Vascularity is unbelievable. The vien on his bicep is bigger then Phillip Rivers whole arm. There are certain steriods with short ester times that will be out of you're system w/in days, therefore making it easy to get away with doping if timed corectly. HGH btw is not a steroid.

Steroids are actually lipids derived from cholesterol and secreted by the gonads, adrenal cortex, and placenta. While HGH is simply a hormone produced by the master gland--the anterior pituitary gland. Making it alot harder to test for.

I got ridiculed pretty heavily when I suggested 50% of the NFL used steroids back in 1998/99 time frame.... (Marcellus Wiley putting on 75 lbs in an uber-short period of time was the focal point).

My guess is that 50% is too low...

770294[/snapback]

Entirely too low.

What's worse is the nonchalant way the public goes about it. Yeah, we want to skin Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, and Mark McGuire alive for using 'roids, but we don't care when guys like Lyle Alzado die from their use or when jerks like Bill Romanowski brag about using them.

Robert Gallery = MW

770451[/snapback]

Gallery did not have his best game, but he is definitely not a bust. The Raiders threw 19 passes total, and the Chargers had 9 sacks. That's just a complete jailbreak. Merriman had 3 of them, and he did make Gallery look bad on one. But he is one of the best pure pass rushers in the league. No OLineman can truly shut him down, especially when they don't know where the pocket is because their QB is running for his life.

By the way, nice job by the Chargers and Raiders to install the high school passing offense:

Rivers 8/11 for 108yds

Brooks 6/14 for 64 yds

Gallery did not have his best game, but he is definitely not a bust.  The Raiders threw 19 passes total, and the Chargers had 9 sacks.  That's just a complete jailbreak.  Merriman had 3 of them, and he did make Gallery look bad on one.  But he is one of the best pure pass rushers in the league.  No OLineman can truly shut him down, especially when they don't know where the pocket is because their QB is running for his life.

By the way, nice job by the Chargers and Raiders to install the high school passing offense:

Rivers 8/11 for 108yds

Brooks 6/14 for 64 yds

770465[/snapback]

Talking over my head here, but they also moved him from left to right, no? May be of little consequence, but...

Funny stat from last night. Aaron Brooks was sacked more times than he completed a pass.

I put a 50% chance on Merriman as well. He reminds me ALOT of a young Bill Romanowski and we all know what came out about him. :D Not to say that people can't be gifted to play the way he does, but I don't remember him being the way he is now when he was in college at Maryland.

Talking over my head here, but they also moved him from left to right, no? May be of little consequence, but...

Funny stat from last night. Aaron Brooks was sacked more times than he completed a pass.

770469[/snapback]

Gallery was drafted as a LT, but could never win the job. They lined him up at Guard, where he failed to make an impact. It was on the right side iirc.

Apparently Shell and Jackie Slater (2 all-time great LTs) decided they could make Gallery into a LT. Maybe they can, but his footwork was horrible last night. He was constantly off balance.

NFL OTs are a strange lot. The bigger ones probably have zero fear of any other person in terms of getting physically beaten, and quite frankly, they have no reason to. Did you see Shell last night? He has to be near 60, and my guess is that he could still kick a few of his players' asses.

No, what worries them more is the quick and agile types. This was Bruce, coupled with the fact the Bruce was an extremely smart player.

Believe me, any OT going up against Schobel has to account for his blazing speed.

Merriman is a freak for sure, but I strongly doubt that he can out-muscle Gallery, nor would he probably try. All he needs to do is get him off balance for a second, and throw him on his ass. Bruce was the best ever at this, and beating OTs to the outside, or very close to it. Reggie White was one of the few DEs who was big enough to kick ass.

In any event, it is pretty safe to say that Gallery appears to be a bust. I thought he would be great to be honest. I guess he was simply able to "bully" defenders at the college level, ala Mike Williams.

NFL OTs are a strange lot. The bigger ones probably have zero fear of any other person in terms of getting physically beaten, and quite frankly, they have no reason to. Did you see Shell last night? He has to be near 60, and my guess is that he could still kick a few of his players' asses.

No, what worries them more is the quick and agile types. This was Bruce, coupled with the fact the Bruce was an extremely smart player.

Believe me, any OT going up against Schobel has to account for his blazing speed.

In any event, it is pretty safe to say that Gallery appears to be a bust. I thought he would be great to be honest. I guess he was simply able to "bully" defenders at the college level, ala Mike Williams.

770490[/snapback]

Thats the real catch with college OT's. Sorting out the good ones with good skill and technique from the "good" ones who were good because they were bigger than everyone else. Its not uncommon to see a college DE giving up 100+ pounds to an opposing OT. You'll find college DE's in the 230-260 range all the time. And they can get dominated by a 350lb OT.

off topic, but FSU's starting OLB Geno Hayes tips the scales at 210. But he's fast as hell, and quite the ballhawk. I think he'll easily transition into an NFL safety if he gets drafted.