Remember Jauron & Staff were Plan B

jahbonas

There is a feeling under Marv & Jauron that the team is headed in a positive direction for the first time in years....its also easier to see what a difference a quality coaching staff makes...suddenly JP breaks thru...Willis drops 10lbs and is no longer asked to be Jerome Bettis II...we no longer empty the backfield and go 4 wides and replace Mcgahee with Shaud Willaims on the 3rd & 2's....

However lets keep in mind...Ralph's original plan was too keep mularkey & staff in place instead of cleaning house and having what we have now (we were very fortunate that the Rams coaching staff became available). Keeping a situation that everyone now admits was utter chaos last year

Was Ralph that dumb?? or was he that cheap???

Thank you Mike Mularkey for clearly seeing what Wilson refused to see...that the situation he had laid out for you for 2006 was going to be a complete disaster !!

Mike Mularkey is the real savior of this team by stepping down and forcing Wilson into the decision he should have made all along !!!

There is a feeling under Marv & Jauron that the team is headed in a positive direction for the first time in years....its also easier to see what a difference a quality coaching staff makes...suddenly JP breaks thru...Willis drops 10lbs and is no longer asked to be Jerome Bettis II...we no longer empty the backfield and go 4 wides and replace Mcgahee with Shaud Willaims on the 3rd & 2's....

However lets keep in mind...Ralph's original plan was too keep mularkey & staff in place instead of cleaning house and having what we have now (we were very fortunate that the Rams coaching staff became available).  Keeping a situation that everyone now admits was utter chaos last year

Was Ralph that dumb??  or was he that cheap???

Thank you Mike Mularkey for clearly seeing what Wilson refused to see...that the situation he had laid out for you for 2006 was going to be a complete disaster !!

Mike Mularkey is the real savior of this team by stepping down and forcing Wilson into the decision he should have made all along !!!

760418[/snapback]

That's true. It's the only decision I don't understand under Levy. Meathead should get an MVP award from us.

PTR

However lets keep in mind...Ralph's original plan was too keep mularkey & staff in place instead of cleaning house and having what we have now (we were very fortunate that the Rams coaching staff became available).  Keeping a situation that everyone now admits was utter chaos last year

Was Ralph that dumb??  or was he that cheap???

760418[/snapback]

From all accounts MM is a very stand up honorable guy. I always felt that (perhaps due to this) he was given the opportunity to resign(& save some face) rather than be ingloriously sacked.

Pure speculation on my part but seems to be the sort of thing that Marv might do.

I don't think it was $ related, although I still view Ralph as a cheapskate. I think what happened is that Mularkey realized he was being played by Marv. Everyone knew Mularkey would be toast with Marv, MM included. Marv wanted to coach again and saw a mid season Mularkey firing as his best way in. When Mularkey read the writing on the wall, he quit.

Now Ralph Wilson stepped in, and told Marv -you're not coaching this team. So Marv & Ralph now have to hire a new coach. Imagine what happened when Marv interviewed Dick Jauron. It was like looking in a mirror, 25 years ago. Jauron has to be the one guy in the entire NFL who is most like Marv. How could Marv resist hiring the closest thing to himself? How could Ralph resist hiring a man who could end up being the next Marv Levy? Jauron reminds me so much of Marv as a coach it is scary.

I really hope we get similar results with Jauron as we did with Levy, but lets win that February game at least once, please.

The only reason Mularkey left was because no assistant wanted to come work for him being he was a lame duck coach.  I think Wilson knew that would happen and saw an opportunity to save some money by not having to pay out the rest of his contract.

760472[/snapback]

Yes. And it's why we were treated to the charade of Jerry Gray's remaining as DC untill Greggo got Joe Gibbs to phone Danny Boy about needing a $2million DB coach.

I think Marv did just what he needed to do to clean house in the front office in an efficient manner. He's been doing the same thing with the roster ever since he got here.

The only reason Mularkey left was because no assistant wanted to come work for him being he was a lame duck coach.  I think Wilson knew that would happen and saw an opportunity to save some money by not having to pay out the rest of his contract.

760472[/snapback]

Exactly. It's actually the same thing he did with Wade Phillips. Most people thought it was all about Ronnie Jones but Ralph wanted several assistants fired and as soon as Wade said okay to getting rid of Jones, Ralph had Plan B, C and maybe D. Seeing it, Wade fell on his sword for Ronnie Jones so that assistants around the league would think he was a stand up guy for other jobs down the line. And they had to haggle for years about the extra money owed or not owed. Part of this is a little scumbagship on behalf of the Bills, and part of it is ultimately good for the coaches in the PR department. It surely didn't hurt Mularkey much as he got one of the plum OC jobs in the league right away.

I don't believe that the Bills really wanted to keep Mularkey.  I think that Marv wanted to replace him, but wanted Mularkey to be the one to decide to leave.

760445[/snapback]

When Jerry Angelo took over the Bears, Jauron was in essentially the same position. Did he quit ? Nope, went 13 and 3.

We have a guy who can handle the tough assignment. Mullarkey retired to Florida.

I don't think it was $ related, although I still view Ralph as a cheapskate.  I think what happened is that Mularkey realized he was being played by Marv.  Everyone knew Mularkey would be toast with Marv, MM included.  Marv wanted to coach again and saw a mid season Mularkey firing as his best way in.  When Mularkey read the writing on the wall, he quit. 

Now Ralph Wilson stepped in, and told Marv -you're not coaching this team.  So Marv & Ralph now have to hire a new coach.  Imagine what happened when Marv interviewed Dick Jauron.  It was like looking in a mirror, 25 years ago.  Jauron has to be the one guy in the entire NFL who is most like Marv.  How could Marv resist hiring the closest thing to himself?  How could Ralph resist hiring a man who could end up being the next Marv Levy?  Jauron reminds me so much of Marv as a coach it is scary. 

I really hope we get similar results with Jauron as we did with Levy, but lets win that February game at least once, please.

760448[/snapback]

I think your theory as laid out here is highly questionable, primarily due to the fact that it paints Marv as making decisions based on an oversized ego. I don't see that in Marv at all. I don't think he's ever had a me first attitude.

Rather I'd have to agree more with Dibs' theory. Marv is a standup guy. Why just out and out fire the entire coaching staff? Why not allow them to save some face and resign? Its a much more "high character" thing to do and much more likely to endear potential future coaches to come onto a team like the Bills. Marv doesn't have to fire all the coaches and let everyone know he cleared house; he's content in his own abilities to let everyone think he wanted MM, but MM wanted out.

When Jerry Angelo took over the Bears, Jauron was in essentially the same position. Did he quit ? Nope, went 13 and 3.

We have a guy who can handle the tough assignment. Mullarkey retired to Florida.

760635[/snapback]

True. I work with lots of Bears fans and they respect Jauron a lot for that.

His players are loyal to him. He is intelligent, honest, and extremely organized. His downfall in Chicago was his inability to get a decent OC. Hopefully, with Fairchild, that is not going to be a problem.

Many feel that Levy wanted Jauron all along. I think the Sherman thing was a fantasy conjured up by the press. Funny how few interviews Sherman even had.

- Bob

True.  I work with lots of Bears fans and they respect Jauron a lot for that. 

His players are loyal to him.  He is intelligent, honest, and extremely organized.  His downfall in Chicago was his inability to get a decent OC.  Hopefully, with Fairchild, that is not going to be a problem.

The OC was one part. The other was Angelo undermining him by giving away his best defensive players (Washington and Colvin) and bringing-in chumps (Kordell Stewart).

Many feel that Levy wanted Jauron all along.  I think the Sherman thing was a fantasy conjured up by the press.  Funny how few interviews Sherman even had.

I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

The OC was one part.  The other was Angelo undermining him by giving away his best defensive players (Washington and Colvin) and bringing-in chumps (Kordell Stewart).

760910[/snapback]

That's very true. It was apparent that Jauron was not one of Angelo's guys and that he wanted to bring his own guy in, but couldn't after the 13-3 season. It almost appeared as if he was undermining him so he could fail and finally be rid of him.

That's very true.  It was apparent that Jauron was not one of Angelo's guys and that he wanted to bring his own guy in, but couldn't after the 13-3 season.  It almost appeared as if he was undermining him so he could fail and finally be rid of him.

The 2002 saw a TON of injuries for the Bears as well as having to play home game 2 hours away, so that was a wash for Jauron and Angelo couldn't fire him after that season either. So he decided to give away players to his bud, Belichick, instead. That worked.

Lets not forget mularkys first year, we lost the first 4 then won enough straight to play a meaningful week 17 game. The organization from top to bottom, including the support of the fans all generally thought it would be better to live through the growing pains of a young QB than to settle to be mediocre with Bledsoe. The plan was to ride our defense that ranked #2 2 consecutive years, The plan backfired with injuries to an overrated defense Forcing JP to have to win the game with a bad offensive line, this didnt work so the vets living on the end of there career got disgruntled, everything that went wrong did, Mularky was not set up to win by the GM, Which the online was the biggest problem which TD tried to address, anybody in the league would have bombed on the Mike Williams pick, watch his college highlights the guy was an animal, its just the way it goes in the NFL

His players are loyal to him.  He is intelligent, honest, and extremely organized.  His downfall in Chicago was his inability to get a decent OC.  Hopefully, with Fairchild, that is not going to be a problem. 

760685[/snapback]

That was a bad situation... imagine the call in shows. He stuck with Shoop until they both got the axe. No "trade in the assistant for your job" garbage for Jauron. Rock solid hire.

I don't think it was $ related, although I still view Ralph as a cheapskate.  I think what happened is that Mularkey realized he was being played by Marv.  Everyone knew Mularkey would be toast with Marv, MM included.  Marv wanted to coach again and saw a mid season Mularkey firing as his best way in.  When Mularkey read the writing on the wall, he quit. 

Now Ralph Wilson stepped in, and told Marv -you're not coaching this team.  So Marv & Ralph now have to hire a new coach.  Imagine what happened when Marv interviewed Dick Jauron.  It was like looking in a mirror, 25 years ago.  Jauron has to be the one guy in the entire NFL who is most like Marv.  How could Marv resist hiring the closest thing to himself?  How could Ralph resist hiring a man who could end up being the next Marv Levy?  Jauron reminds me so much of Marv as a coach it is scary. 

760448[/snapback]

HAHAHAHA ... this post is hilarious :w00t: kinda made my night

I don't believe that the Bills really wanted to keep Mularkey.  I think that Marv wanted to replace him, but wanted Mularkey to be the one to decide to leave.

760445[/snapback]

I agree, Mularkey may have been asked to resign or otherwise face being fired. It's a routine any of us in professional positions have seen many times before.

An environment was created around MM that basically showed him the door.

So it seems. I'm not a fly on the wall at One Bills Drive.