Steelers release 4th Round Pick

SACKMARINO

Generally speaking, unless the Super Bowl champions lose a lot of players to free agency, they don't have a lot of holes to fill. When it comes to the draft, they can afford sometimes to draft college underachievers or raw college players who supposedly have lots of talent, like Harris and Jacobs on the chance they might suddenly blossom. They may have had no room on the roster at QB and DT for the plodding, reliable players you often get late in the draft anywayt, so they took a couple of flyers.

Generally speaking, unless the Super Bowl champions lose a lot of players to free agency, they don't have a lot of holes to fill.  When it comes to the draft, they can afford sometimes to draft college underachievers or raw college players who supposedly have lots of talent, like Harris and Jacobs on the chance they might suddenly blossom.  They may have had no room on the roster at QB and DT for the plodding, reliable players you often get late in the draft anywayt, so they took a couple of flyers.

759602[/snapback]

Absolutely. Back when the Chicago Bulls were winning championships with Jordan, Pippen and Rodman - they cut all their picks. Even the first round pick.

that doesn't say a whole lot for their ability to scout/evaluate personnel. they are a franchise i complete disarray if you ask me. :)

759561[/snapback]

They can't be that bad, they did win the superbowl last year. The Bills picks look good, because the talent level here just isn't that good, unfortunately. Hopefully it will change quickly with the Ivy league boys being here.

Absolutely.  Back when the Chicago Bulls were winning championships with Jordan, Pippen and Rodman - they cut all their picks.  Even the first round pick.

759636[/snapback]

All these years out of the playoffs has changed the outlook TSW "experts". We've been so bad for so long that cutting a 4th round pick seems so absurd because we have so many holes to fill. And these 4th and 5th rounders get some playing time in the regular season to evaluate their talent and frankly because the veteran starter sucks

The Steelers on the other hand have the luxury of either drafting for an immediate need (like Santonio Holmes), depth, or future development. Obviously Orien isn't going to come in and start immediately and the Steelers already have quality depth. So the question is did he show enough potential in camp to hang on to and develop?

Wish we had the kinda depth to have that problem

They can't be that bad, they did win the superbowl last year.  The Bills picks look good, because the talent level here just isn't that good, unfortunately.  Hopefully it will change quickly with the Ivy league boys being here.

759666[/snapback]

I think he was being sarcastic, actually :)

Orien Harris has a lot of ability.  He was very good two years ago, but did not play up to his potential last year. 

He would be worth a look depending on how DJ and the defensive staff think about our depth.

759695[/snapback]

Tripplett, McCargo, and Williams are locks to make this team. So the real question we should be asking is how much of an improvement (2006 and beyond) would Harris be over Tim Anderson?

This guy needs to be picked up if this is true about him.

Orien harris was rated higher than McCargo by many "gurus". Must not have any fire in his belly or much upstairs (MIami Fla.).

759608[/snapback]

I saw a few ranking sites that refered to Harris as one of the most overated players in the draft. I don't watch Miami much, so I couldn't say one way or the other.

I saw a few ranking sites that refered to Harris as one of the most overated players in the draft.  I don't watch Miami much, so I couldn't say one way or the other.

759710[/snapback]

It depends. I have Hurricane season tickets. As I said earlier, he played well two years ago. We had high hopes for him last year. He was not as productive as we all thought he would be given his earlier performance. He has a lot of ability. I am sure that some team is going to give him another look.

If the Bills are happy with our depth, it probably will not be with us. If the Bills are not happy with our depth, he is worth a look.