Who Is The Third Wide Out?

Reed drops the ball too much and that Parrish looks great.

759448[/snapback]

I would like to see Parrish to SOMETHING, ANYTHING during an actual game situation before he is annointed a starter. At least Reed blocks on running plays. All I hear about is how "uncoverable" Parrish is against his teammates in practice - the guy hasn't made a single fuggin' play in an actual game (real or preseason) since he's been here.

has it even been decided who the second wideout is? should obviously be Price but has it been decided yet?

Reed shouldnt even make the team, the guy caught everything in college but cant catch a thing in the NFL

Reed drops the ball too much and that Parrish looks great.

759448[/snapback]

My guess right now would be Reed. He looks as though he may finally turn the corner and become the slot receiver we have been hoping he'd become. As far Parrish goes, he looks good at times but I almost feel as though I'm missing something. Every keeps talking about his big play ability and how he "makes things happen" when he has the ball, but I haven't seen much of that yet. Even when he has worked as the punt returner I keep expecting more from him. Based on his college reputation he should be more like McGee is on the kick-off returns but I don't believe he is.

I want to be impressed by Parrish but it seems like he has not broken out yet.

edit: Coach Tuesday, I just read your response, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

I would like to see Parrish to SOMETHING, ANYTHING during an actual game situation before he is annointed a starter.  At least Reed blocks on running plays.  All I hear about is how "uncoverable" Parrish is against his teammates in practice - the guy hasn't made a single fuggin' play in an actual game (real or preseason) since he's been here.

759452[/snapback]

Oh I thought he made a few catches a week or two ago. As for Reed's blocking, yes I agree, but if he is going to be third wide out, which is most likely to happen on third down or passing situations, it doesn't matter as much. I like Reed, and wish him well, just lost some trust in him over the last two years

In answer to your question... Josh Reed wil be the number 3 wideout after Evans and Price. Reed is good when he has confidence, the last few years he lost his confidence and looked... well, to be honest, stone-handed. Hopefully he has put that annoying habit away and shows flashes of his (the dreaded P word) potential. Reed has the 3rd spot because of his blocking ability.

As for Roscoe Parrish: I love this guy, I really do. But I don't see him as any more than an extra receiver on obvious passing downs. He has big-play ability, but (for all you nay-sayers) the kid is just a kid. Very green. This year he should put up some big plays, just be patient. However, only weighing what... 100 pounds, he probably isn't strong enough to be on the field regularly such as Evans, Price, or Reed.

That's my 2 cents.

They say it takes a wideout 3 years to developt, that may be the case with parrish, He is two small to be a #1 or 2 reciever so ive always been skeptical on why he was taken so high when we could have deperately used a 2nd round lineman. Optimistically Im hoping they want teams to focuse on the other deep play ability of Evans and Price and keep Parrish hush hush untill they need a big play in a close game

I think Reed will do good being back in the slot, hopefully returning to the fourm he showed in his rookie year. I agree with Coach Tuesday, that Parrish has not yet showed me anything in a game. Unless he really blows people out in practice, I don't know if he deserves the 4th spot.

I think Reed will do good being back in the slot, hopefully returning to the fourm he showed in his rookie year. I agree with Coach Tuesday, that Parrish has not yet showed me anything in a game. Unless he really blows people out in practice, I don't know if he deserves the 4th spot.

759462[/snapback]

Would like to see Sam Aiken in there from time to time.

759462[/snapback]

Reed needs to regain some trust. He seems to be a bit inconsistent. One play he makes a great grab and the next the ball goes right through his hands. Parrish on the other hand has not seen much time as the slot. Most of his time is with ST on punt returns which he does quite well. I think he took one pass in the Detroit game and if my memory serves me it was a short screen over the middle for a completion but I don't recall any YAC.

They both have their positives and negatives.

Reed has good size, is a good blocker and has game experience.

Parrish is fast, nimble and has shown good hands

It might be a difficut descision for the coaches come game day.

I think Parrish is elusive and smart, but is lacking the mass to break away from a head-on tackle. I really hope he works on his upper-body strength in the weight room.

This being said, there was a play in the first quarter of the Caroline game that stood out to me. There was a penalty, so the play did't count, but it gave me hope for Parrish this year.

For any of you that have this game recorded, check it out:

(from NFL.com):

3-5-BUF24 (8:36) K.Holcomb pass left to R.Parrish to BUF 36 for 12 yards (K.Lucas).

PENALTY on BUF-T.Reyes, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at BUF 24 - No Play

Parrish catches the ball and is nearly immediately hit by two defenders. He keeps running hard and twisting and drags both of them a full five yards before he goes down. I was very impressed with him on this play, but didn't hear anyone mention it after the game.

My guess right now would be Reed.  He looks as though he may finally turn the corner and become the slot receiver we have been hoping he'd become.  As far Parrish goes, he looks good at times but I almost feel as though I'm missing something.  Every keeps talking about his big play ability and how he "makes things happen" when he has the ball, but I haven't seen much of that yet.  Even when he has worked as the punt returner I keep expecting more from him.  Based on his college reputation he should be more like McGee is on the kick-off returns but I don't believe he is.

I want to be impressed by Parrish but it seems like he has not broken out yet.

edit: Coach Tuesday, I just read your response, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.

759455[/snapback]

I agree..Reed will be more valuable as a blocker for McGahee and downfield for the other wideouts at the very least.

Parrish has caught a couple of balls on third down this preseason. JP looks to him first on 3rd down when he's in the game it seems like.

Big catches in big spots is what I see from him this year. I think he'll be used in the slot (no shock) and primarily on third down. Reed will be the official Number 3, but at times he will give way to Parrish who can get more seperation.

Parrish will have a big year this year. He won't catch 60 balls, maybe he'll catch 40 -- but the impact those catches will have will be big. He's a game changer.

I also expect him to return 1 or 2 Punts to the house this season.

I also expect him to return 1 or 2 Punts to the house this season.

759520[/snapback]

To repeat my earlier question, has anyone here really been that impressed with his punt returning ability? I have not seen him make people miss the way McGee does and yet he seems to get more mention as being a big play, game changer. I hope he shows more soon.

To repeat my earlier question, has anyone here really been that impressed with his punt returning ability?  I have not seen him make people miss the way McGee does and yet he seems to get more mention as being a big play, game changer.  I hope he shows more soon.

759525[/snapback]

He led the league in PR average last year -- just didn't have enough attempts to qualify.

He had over 13 yard return average -- that is really good.

He led the league in PR average last year -- just didn't have enough attempts to qualify.

He had over 13 yard return average -- that is really good.

759527[/snapback]

I actually think that Clements is a better punt returner. I guess I agree that he is good but I keep expecting more. He has not had a moment yet where I have looked at him and been in awe of his moves, hopefully this will be his breakout year.

I actually think that Clements is a better punt returner.  I guess I agree that he is good but I keep expecting more.  He has not had a moment yet where I have looked at him and been in awe of his moves, hopefully this will be his breakout year.

759538[/snapback]

I agree. Given his contrac status, why woun't we ask Nate to return punts? Maybe that would put a litle pressure on him to sign a contract! :)

I actually think that Clements is a better punt returner.  I guess I agree that he is good but I keep expecting more.  He has not had a moment yet where I have looked at him and been in awe of his moves, hopefully this will be his breakout year.

759538[/snapback]

Actually, I can't stand Clements on punt returns, and I was relieved when they started using Parrish in that role. Clements NEVER just goes straight ahead. No matter what, he ALWAYS begins by running across the field. He could have 7-8 yards of open space in front of him and instead of just turning on the jets straight ahead, his first steps would be dancing to the side. Sometimes it works out, but alot of times you've got to just run ahead and find a lane that way, and I think Parrish has a much better sense for it.

Clements on PR is a fumble waiting to happen,

I think the risk outweighs the reward.

760760[/snapback]

Clements is (imo) one of the most athletic players in the NFL. I consider him a great punt returner, but he is too good a corner to risk having back there.

If I were Jauron, I would keep the little teapot returning punts until he is injured.